Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   More sinkholes occurring (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/more-sinkholes-occurring-257516/)

manaboutown 03-05-2018 09:37 PM

More sinkholes occurring

Now in the village of St.Charles according to the unmentionable online news.

kstew43 03-05-2018 10:25 PM

this is getting crazy....... why so many all the sudden.....and all happening inside the villages?

and no rain for some time..... I am dreading when the rainy season starts.

Mother nature....enough already......

EdFNJ 03-05-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstew43 (Post 1521000)
this is getting crazy....... why so many all the sudden.....and all happening inside the villages?

It's not "all happening inside the Villages." You just read about the ones that happen here because you live here. If you lived elsewhere you'd say the same thing. They really don't make the 6PM news unless it's a slow news day. :D

Mrs. Robinson 03-06-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1521010)
It's not "all happening inside the Villages." You just read about the ones that happen here because you live here. If you lived elsewhere you'd say the same thing. They really don't make the 6PM news unless it's a slow news day. :D

Sinkholes always make the news because they are so serious.

You would know and understand if it happened to you!

kstew43 03-06-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson (Post 1521026)

so true...... I do watch the news and haven't heard of sinkholes anywhere around here for sometime now...

seriously scary.....something like this could/can wipe out someones lifes savings.

GoodLife 03-06-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstew43 (Post 1521000)

According to several commenters, the online news site is repeating a story of same sinkhole reported in September 2017

You make it sound like this just happened. The sinkhole was reported by your news site last September after the hurricane. And we are not in the Village of St. Charles. Get your facts straight!

kstew43 03-06-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1521081)
According to several commenters, the online news site is repeating a story of same sinkhole reported in September 2017

You make it sound like this just happened. The sinkhole was reported by your news site last September after the hurricane. And we are not in the Village of St. Charles. Get your facts straight!

it was reported last evening...I read the entire article and never saw anything that mentioned it happened last September. This article is dated 3/5/18. So..... what can I say...
By
David Towns -
March 5, 2018
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Pinterest

A home in the Village of St. Charles has been deemed unsafe for occupancy due to sinkholes which have opened up...The home, located on Markridge Loop, fronts the Jacaranda golf course. Two neighboring houses to the south of the condemned home were also impacted by the sinkholes.

Workmen from Foundation Services, a company which specializes in sinkhole repair, were on the scene. The crew had completed filling in the visible sinkholes and were pumping cement into underground voids which had been detected.

EdFNJ 03-06-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson (Post 1521026)

Fist of all, if one didn't make the news how would you know? In any case my reply was referring to: ...... "why so many all the sudden.....and all happening inside the villages?"

That is not true. It does NOT "ALL happen inside the villages" itr happens all over the state of FL. and SOMETIMES makes the news. If we look and read news from outside "the bubble" it would be obvious.

Of course it's a horrible thing but that doesn't mean it "only happens here in the Villages" which is the specific words that I was commenting on.

LOL, The Villages isn't alone!

Hers's one in Tampa: Sinkhole swallows homes in Florida - CNN

Here's one in Orlando: Sinkholes threaten Florida homes after Irma Video - ABC News

Two Bills 03-06-2018 10:32 AM

They are not sink holes.

It's 'Tremors' for real. :22yikes:

Run for your lives!! :crap2:

kstew43 03-06-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1521087)
Fist of all, if one didn't make the news how would you know? In any case my reply was referring to: ...... "why so many all the sudden.....and all happening inside the villages?"

That is not true. It does NOT "ALL happen inside the villages" itr happens all over the state of FL. and SOMETIMES makes the news. If we look and read news from outside "the bubble" it would be obvious.

Of course it's a horrible thing but that doesn't mean it "only happens here in the Villages" which is the specific words that I was commenting on.

LOL, The Villages isn't alone!

Hers's one in Tampa: Sinkhole swallows homes in Florida - CNN

Here's one in Orlando: Sinkholes threaten Florida homes after Irma Video - ABC News

omg.....the house in Tampa was actually sinking and falling into the earth.....on video....devastating.....

graciegirl 03-06-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstew43 (Post 1521094)
omg.....the house in Tampa was actually sinking and falling into the earth.....on video....devastating.....

Sinkholes are scary. Sinkhole insurance is available again? Husband is in charge of insurance and he is playing golf. I am in charge of typing.

Not good to feed fear. :wave:

manaboutown 03-06-2018 10:53 AM

Here is a source showing the 10 Florida counties having the most sinkhole activity. Marion County is #4, Lake County #10. Sumter County is not rated as among the 10. It may or may not be because Sumter County is very rural and sparsely populated except in and around The Villages. Sinkholes in cow pastures and swampy areas may be ignored, unknown, unobserved or unreported while those in developed areas surely are. Florida’s Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties

KEVIN & JOSIE 03-06-2018 10:59 AM

Video of recent Sinkhole with Marion County emergency responders.

SINKHOLES IN THE VILLAGES - YouTube

GoodLife 03-06-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstew43 (Post 1521084)
it was reported last evening...I read the entire article and never saw anything that mentioned it happened last September. This article is dated 3/5/18. So..... what can I say...

As I stated in my post, several commenters said same sinkhole was reported in September 2017. Not sure if they are correct just noted it

manaboutown 03-06-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE (Post 1521099)
Video of recent Sinkhole with Marion County emergency responders.

SINKHOLES IN THE VILLAGES - YouTube

Holy Smokes! That is scary.