Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Sun shades in birdcage (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/sun-shades-birdcage-258371/)

ronjon309 03-14-2018 01:54 PM

Sun shades in birdcage

We are new owners here in The Villages. We have a birdcage that gets direct afternoon sun and are considering installing sail type sun shades inside the birdcage. I have not seen anyone else doing this so I am concerned there may be a reason not to do so. Anyone?

graciegirl 03-14-2018 03:40 PM

We have direct sun too and have Cooleroo awnings that can be rolled up and down in the part that is lanai, under roof.. We are thinking about a "lid" on part of our birdcage but are afraid of the wind. It would be like a sail and we are afraid it would damage the bird cage with wind resistance.

villagetinker 03-14-2018 04:04 PM

We have roll up shades also, if you are lucky you may be able to get the right widths at Home Depot or Lowe's. Our openings were wider then what either store offered, so we had to have custom shades made ($$$$). Also these easily survived the high winds during IRMA.

billethkid 03-14-2018 04:14 PM

I have seen the sun "sails" in several lanais over the years.
The only problem I see could be positioning for effect as sun moves. Secondly if in a location where breezes/winds are prevalent, the flopping around of the sails compromise the job intended for them to do.

I would vote against enclosing the top of the bird cage as it most certainly will trap the wind(s) instead of flowing through....hence pressure....possible damage.

All reasons given are why we opted to not do any of the above.

asianthree 03-14-2018 04:50 PM

We know of some birdcages that have had covers for 10 years plus. Even during hurricane last year no problems with them blowing off, or damage to birdcage.
We have used sails for years and never had any damage. Ours are a plain tan, but now they come in pretty colors. Our sails can be adjusted to control sun.

ragdolls 03-14-2018 07:37 PM

sunshine awnings

we had our birdcage covered with a canvas roofing from Sunshine Awnings and we love it. Rain proof and the company gets the permit and all for you. It is prefabricated with exact sizing for your birdcage and many colors to choose from. Irma never touched it and was perfect. It truly turns your birdcage into another room. Great company to deal with. Good Luck:wave:

ronjon309 03-14-2018 08:26 PM

Thank you all for your responses and comments!

Rickg 03-15-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1523585)
We have direct sun too and have Cooleroo awnings that can be rolled up and down in the part that is lanai, under roof.. We are thinking about a "lid" on part of our birdcage but are afraid of the wind. It would be like a sail and we are afraid it would damage the bird cage with wind resistance.

We have a cover (lid) on our bird cage and back up to open prairie. Its been through the hurricane and is rated to 140 mph on the engineering application. We also have shades, but had to change the hold downs because of wind.

graciegirl 03-15-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1523725)
We have a cover (lid) on our bird cage and back up to open prairie. Its been through the hurricane and is rated to 140 mph on the engineering application. We also have shades, but had to change the hold downs because of wind.

Thank you for sharing this. Could I ask for a picture???

This Forum is a great place for learning helpful things.

NJSonja 06-16-2018 12:02 PM

where do you get these sails?

I have a small birdcage and am looking into this option as well...strictly the sails, not a cover for the birdcage. many many thanks!

Cobh521 06-16-2018 12:16 PM

We have shades on our lanai. We got them from joy blinds. They work great

Kahuna32162 06-17-2018 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a large brick paver patio under our birdcage which allowed us to install a gazebo and patio seating area. Provides very nice shaded from the sun to relax in.

Cool Breeze Roll screens 06-18-2018 05:59 PM

Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors and motorized awning.
We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have a Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.

Lonnie Ashe
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@yahoo.com
CoolBreeze Screens - Odessa, Florida | Facebook
Cool Breeze Motorized Roll screens - Home | Facebook

tsoifer@mac.com 09-20-2018 05:26 PM

Who did you get your shades from??