Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Suggestions for Paddock Square (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/suggestions-paddock-square-258548/)

EnglishJW 03-16-2018 10:36 AM

Suggestions for Paddock Square

Given the explosion of growth in the southern areas of The Villages, I think there are a number of things we need for Paddock Square and the Brownwood area.

For starters, we should have at least one Market Night.

It would be great to add a water feature of some sort. There is a lake in the middle and a pool with fountains in the north. Both the north and middle have little streams as well. It would be nice to add something in the south (maybe building upon the popularity of Larry).

Of course, we need more retail. Personally, we would love to see more restaurants like a Panera Bread (just like the other two squares), a Bonefish Grill and maybe a Carabbas.

While 44 is gradually showing signs of life, it would be great to have more shopping to eliminate some of the traveling all of us southerners have to do. My wife wants a Michaels (or Joanns or Hobby Lobby or AC Moore). A Trader Joe's and a Costco would be nice.

What would you like to see or add?

New Englander 03-16-2018 10:40 AM

I like ALL your ideas.... :BigApplause:

CFrance 03-16-2018 10:49 AM

Who is Larry and why is he popular?

I'm sorry the Medicine Shop left Brownwood. I'd like to see a replacement of that variety of pharmacy that carries more than just medicine. Otherwise, I like your ideas. But I wonder... are Bonefish and Carrabbas on TV property? I don't know if they would come to Brownwood. But maybe they would come to non-TV land somewhere close to the area.

Viperguy 03-16-2018 10:52 AM

There are two huge retail spaces right on the corner that have been vacant for quite a while, at least one perhaps forever. Any good restaurant would be welcome but I expect that TV has high lease conditions on the properties. Shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me.

biker1 03-16-2018 11:14 AM

Regarding restaurants, there are already quite a few and one closed recently. Currently, there are the following in Brownwood:

McAlister's
TooJays
Five Guys
City Fire
Ricciardi's
Cody's
Gator's
World of Beer
Scooples
Dunkin' Donuts

It is not clear that there is a demand for anymore restaurants at the current time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishJW (Post 1524031)
Given the explosion of growth in the southern areas of The Villages, I think there are a number of things we need for Paddock Square and the Brownwood area.

For starters, we should have at least one Market Night.

It would be great to add a water feature of some sort. There is a lake in the middle and a pool with fountains in the north. Both the north and middle have little streams as well. It would be nice to add something in the south (maybe building upon the popularity of Larry).

Of course, we need more retail. Personally, we would love to see more restaurants like a Panera Bread (just like the other two squares), a Bonefish Grill and maybe a Carabbas.

While 44 is gradually showing signs of life, it would be great to have more shopping to eliminate some of the traveling all of us southerners have to do. My wife wants a Michaels (or Joanns or Hobby Lobby or AC Moore). A Trader Joe's and a Costco would be nice.

What would you like to see or add?

tialarre 03-16-2018 11:24 AM

How about a food court. The vacant space on the southwest corner of Brownwood Square could be subdivided into individual stalls with various food vendors similar to a mall food court. They could include Chinese, Japanese, pizza, subs, tacos, sandwiches, frozen yogurt, Wendy's, McDonalds or Burger King or some other burger joint, cookie and deserts, Cinnabon, organic salad/fresh fruit bar, etc., etc. They could have 10-12 mini restaurants with tables in the center and outside. I think this would give residents plenty of eating choices and draw more business to the square. It also would lower the closing possibility of one large restaurant. The opposite corner has had at least two restaurants close and now it is vacant. If a single small food place closed in the food court, it would have less impact and would be easier to replace. Plus, lower rents for smaller food places, but possibly more rent for The Villages in total. I think it is a win-win for all.

billethkid 03-16-2018 11:44 AM

Ya shoulda been here before they widened 466 to 4 lanes.
There was nothing south of 466....nothing on Rolling Acres...no Sumter Square....no Arnold Palmer CC....etc....nothing until the population reach a certain level and then the retail filled in...national chains took note and came in....etc.
Guess what folks were saying back then.

So those South of 466 A not to worry. The population growth and future plans for South of 466A will be attractive to a lot of retail and national chains.

If Costco never saw fit to put a store in the Ocala area, why would they put one in TV?

NotGolfer 03-16-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1524059)
Ya shoulda been here before they widened 466 to 4 lanes.
There was nothing south of 466....nothing on Rolling Acres...no Sumter Square....no Arnold Palmer CC....etc....nothing until the population reach a certain level and then the retail filled in...national chains took note and came in....etc.
Guess what folks were saying back then.

So those South of 466 A not to worry. The population growth and future plans for South of 466A will be attractive to a lot of retail and national chains.

If Costco never saw fit to put a store in the Ocala area, why would they put one in TV?

:BigApplause: Truth to what you say here! They "will" come eventually but if they don't have the $$$ to make it worth while, they'll stay away. I'd heard that once LSL was a lot like Paddock Square and didn't offer too much. Before 466 was expanded and it was just the historic side and SS...folks HAD TO go to Leesburg or Ocala to shop. THAT would be highly incovenient if it still was that way. I say that in 3 to 5 yrs. we won't recognize the landscape along 44.

patfla06 03-16-2018 02:56 PM

I would think Trailwinds shopping Center on 466A would be a bigger draw since it’s not Villages owned.

Northerner52 03-16-2018 03:06 PM

Apple store

justjim 03-16-2018 03:16 PM

Food Court

Quote:

Originally Posted by tialarre (Post 1524052)
How about a food court. The vacant space on the southwest corner of Brownwood Square could be subdivided into individual stalls with various food vendors similar to a mall food court. They could include Chinese, Japanese, pizza, subs, tacos, sandwiches, frozen yogurt, Wendy's, McDonalds or Burger King or some other burger joint, cookie and deserts, Cinnabon, organic salad/fresh fruit bar, etc., etc. They could have 10-12 mini restaurants with tables in the center and outside. I think this would give residents plenty of eating choices and draw more business to the square. It also would lower the closing possibility of one large restaurant. The opposite corner has had at least two restaurants close and now it is vacant. If a single small food place closed in the food court, it would have less impact and would be easier to replace. Plus, lower rents for smaller food places, but possibly more rent for The Villages in total. I think it is a win-win for all.

Very innovative idea. I like it. :ho:

JoMar 03-16-2018 03:39 PM

I suspect one of the companies that is part of the Morse conglomerate owns a bunch of land outside The Villages that are rented. The South will grow and expand, it's all about marketing and business cases and you can bet a lot of companies are watching TV. When there are enough butts to sit in seats they will open seats. Remember, their business cases are 12 month cases, not just snowbird season.

kansasr 03-16-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1524037)
Who is Larry and why is he popular?

I'm sorry the Medicine Shop left Brownwood. I'd like to see a replacement of that variety of pharmacy that carries more than just medicine. Otherwise, I like your ideas. But I wonder... are Bonefish and Carrabbas on TV property? I don't know if they would come to Brownwood. But maybe they would come to non-TV land somewhere close to the area.

Bonefish is on developer property, Carrabbas is not.

Villagevip 03-16-2018 05:11 PM

I would drive down from 466 for a large icy cold Jamba Juice...., Restaurant, Waffle House, for those all too common late nights, and all the excitement.. If dreams were wishes, oh you know the rest...

Chatbrat 03-16-2018 06:49 PM

There is not a single restaurant in Brownwood thats worth the trip to dine in their establishment--If the movie theater wasn't there we would never go to Brownwood---the same goes for Lake Sumter Landing--once the enchantment of moving to TV wears off--the Town Squares are not worth the hassle, parking and dealing with the out of area tourists