Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Thinking of Moving to The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/thinking-moving-villages-259189/)

Engineerman 03-24-2018 10:09 AM

Thinking of Moving to The Villages

My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.

Count'n the days 03-25-2018 03:07 PM

There are plenty of other criminals I'd worry about that aren't locked up before worrying about those at the Coleman facility. I worry much more about sink holes than prison breaks. No place is perfect. I'm happy here.

Rapscallion St Croix 03-25-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineerman (Post 1526290)
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.

Your research may have been extensive, but it is flawed. I live in The Villages and Coleman is 19 miles from my home. Go to one of the sex offender locator sites and put your address in. You might be surprised.

CFrance 03-25-2018 03:38 PM

Sounds like maybe you're upset that you couldn't find a house you wanted at a price you wanted? To condemn an entire of 120,000 people and (however many) gazillion square miles because outside of one neighborhood is a prison. Did you come look? Did you look at crime statistics? Exactly where did you do this research, and what other statistics did you look at? From where are you transplanted?

I've never felt so safe in my life.

billethkid 03-25-2018 03:41 PM

to remain polite your post is either in jest oy more likely BAIT.

thelegges 03-25-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

You just kind of called us to stupid to know better, that there is a prison nearby. Some here may be older, some hard of hearing, and some sight impaired, but I assure you we know exactly where we bought and smile all the way to the bank when homes sell In less than a week.
So if you have any new information that might be really informative to the residents who live here feel free to post. In the mean time you might want to try Solivita community. It is many miles away from the prison, and since you have ruled out TV it could be a good fit for you.

villagerjack 03-25-2018 04:00 PM

The homes in Ossining NY close to where I have a home command some of the highest prices in NY. In case you are wondering, Ossining is home to Sing Sing Prison.

graciegirl 03-25-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Your first post!!

You must have an agenda for such a negative, pot stirring post.

Since you aren't moving here, there is no problem.

manaboutown 03-25-2018 04:18 PM

Friends of mine live near the prison in Santa Fe, NM. Housing in their area is very exclusive and expensive.

BTW, if I could move to a 55 and over community today I would hands down choose The Villages in a heartbeat; I have looked at several GL, Del Webb, Ross Cortese (Leisureworld) and Robson (Saddlebrooke) communities.

Jayhawk 03-25-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Right.

dmorhome 03-25-2018 04:28 PM

look at carry permits in villages i think i would head the other way.

EPutnam1863 03-25-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Congrats for taking the time to do a thorough search. I know some people who made the decision to move to TV based on what their friends told them over the phone or after just a few days of visiting esp during the winter.

John_W 03-25-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

I remember discussing this last July, see link below. If I moved to TV now, I couldn't afford it. I came in 2011 with $163K to spend on a new home and didn't want a mortgage. I bought a brand new masonry 2 BR CYV for $157K, today I would be looking in the $230K range. Probably would of done a reverse mortgage purchase or bought somewhere else.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...coleman+prison

ricthemic 03-25-2018 05:09 PM

Wow!

Quote:

Possibly the silliest TOTV post ever. 2 of u extensive research, warning others, higher home prices only cause buyers are unaware, could you explain with your extensive research where in Florida or anywhere you can have the amenities TV offers for $145 per month?

Marathon Man 03-25-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Yes. I acted impulsively and have regretted it ever since. The Villages is terrible. Please stay away.