Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Our Postal Station Workers Will Be Replaced? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/our-postal-station-workers-will-replaced-259247/)

NYGUY 03-24-2018 10:18 PM

Our Postal Station Workers Will Be Replaced?

My wife got this info from a neighbor on Nextdoor:

In an effort to save money, our independent contractor postal station workers will be replaced with USPS employees. One person will be at a station. 20 people will lose their jobs.

Has anyone else heard about this?

coffeebean 03-25-2018 04:43 AM

This doesn't make sense to me that 20 people will lose jobs and leave only one person per postal station. Isn't there a postal station for each village? There are many more than 20 villages at present. The numbers don't add up.

asianthree 03-25-2018 05:05 AM

We have two at our station Monday to Friday

retiredguy123 03-25-2018 05:55 AM

The way to save money is to eliminate the USPS totally. Let UPS and FEDEX take over. More than 95 percent of my mail is junk that is delivered at a price that is way lower than the actual cost to the taxpayers.

alanmcdonald 03-25-2018 06:53 AM

I talked with our postal station person yesterday and they are being let go at the end of the month. Looks like fewer people that will each have to cover multiple locations. Betting service will be slowed, especially trying to receive large packages that do not fit into bins.

Taltarzac725 03-25-2018 07:29 AM

I thought that USPS workers were paid extremely well? That does not make much sense unless the independent contractors are paid well???

redwitch 03-25-2018 07:44 AM

This seems like such a dumb move. USPS employees get benefits, independent contractors don’t. USPS employees are well paid, our independent contractors bid for their jobs, which frequently puts them below minimum wage. On the plus side, there won’t be any more debates about tipping the delivery people since USPS employees can’t accept tips. I hope someone can explain the logic of this move.

I, for one, am going to give my delivery person a very large thank you gift this week. She deserves it.

DeanFL 03-25-2018 07:46 AM

PLEASE tell me this ain't true!!!

Now we must wait a couple extra days for our mail from the Cremation Society, Annuity offers, Car dealers (with the key...), Furniture stores, and Realty firms?

Not fair.

villagetinker 03-25-2018 07:54 AM

Yes, I saw our GREAT postal contractor on Friday and she gave me the BAD news. This looks and sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone have the lady Lake postmaster phone number handy for complaints?

Carla B 03-25-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1526595)
PLEASE tell me this ain't true!!!

Now we must wait a couple extra days for our mail from the Cremation Society, Annuity offers, Car dealers (with the key...), Furniture stores, and Realty firms?

Not fair.

And the FREE DINNERS will already be over by the time we are invited!

collie1228 03-25-2018 08:47 AM

Think about how much money the post office is already saving by not delivering our mail. I have never before lived any place where I had to pick up my own mail. I don't mind at all, but I would object to a USPS effort to cut my service back even further. They are already saving millions of dollars by not having carriers deliver mail in The Villages.

stan the man 03-25-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1526594)
This seems like such a dumb move. USPS employees get benefits, independent contractors don’t. USPS employees are well paid, our independent contractors bid for their jobs, which frequently puts them below minimum wage. On the plus side, there won’t be any more debates about tipping the delivery people since USPS employees can’t accept tips. I hope someone can explain the logic of this move.

I, for one, am going to give my delivery person a very large thank you gift this week. She deserves it.

Postal employees may accept gifts valued up to $20, but cannot accept cash, according to a postal spokeswoman. Gift cards of up to $20 are also permitted, but the card cannot be redeemable for cash money and must be issued from a single company, not from a bank or shopping mall.

billethkid 03-25-2018 09:16 AM

If there were only a way to opt out of junk mails.
All the USPS provides is service to the postal station trash can.

Anybody want to venture a guess how many actually make it to the house?

If the junk mail that goes largely unread could be eliminated that would take a major strain off the postal work load......however that is never going to happen....

I would like to think if the story is true that the USPS would have sent some sort of notification indicating a potential effect on delivery times. Since no one has seen such a notification one would/could expect no detectable difference in handling the mail.

How do we know whether the sub contractors are not being replaced one for one with USPS employees. Those being let go would only be aware for sure of one thing....they are being let go!

I guess we shall see....maybe the change in snail mail delivery will be unaffected?

Chi-Town 03-25-2018 09:18 AM

This is hard to believe. I thought the reason to go with independent contractors was to save money. And we got the bonus of better service. I don't feel good about this.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

retiredguy123 03-25-2018 09:21 AM

My postal station has 5 trash cans, and they tell you not to put junk mail in them. So, what are they there for?