Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Post Office Station Change (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/post-office-station-change-259562/)

JoMar 03-28-2018 03:47 PM

Post Office Station Change

Was having a conversation with a couple friends about the postal situation. One raised the question, could the change be a result of the postal workers union pushing to remove contractors since they are, in effect, doing the same work as their union members. That approach has been taken in other industries.....what are your thoughts?

redwitch 03-28-2018 07:14 PM

Possibility but why wait 20 years to force this?

Mortal1 03-29-2018 07:16 AM

Doesn't matter why. It's the choice of the USPS. Happens all the time and really isn't any of my business.

Rango 03-29-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1527881)
Doesn't matter why. It's the choice of the USPS. Happens all the time and really isn't any of my business.

:agree:

CWGUY 03-29-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1527881)

:thumbup: I agree! "THE POST OFFICE"..... one more thing Villagers want to run and can't. Is life a bitch or what?

Happinow 03-29-2018 07:53 AM

Feel badly

Our postal carrier came to the house to drop off a few packages yesterday and told me they were being fired. He said they didn’t tell them ahead of time because the post office didn’t want any of them to walk off the job early. I asked our carrier what he was going to do for work and he said he and his wife were both contract carriers and he had no idea what they were going to do since they had no advance notice. I felt so sorry for them both. It seems like such a double standard when employees have to give two weeks notice before quitting, yet employers don’t. ☹️

JoMar 03-29-2018 12:11 PM

Actually it is our business......we pay for it, part of the governments budget. I know there is a feeling that, at our age, it doesn't matter, we pay our taxes and it isn't hurting us. We live in this dual bubble, and have little interest in how others are impacted.......until it impacts us directly. My original post was just a question on the cause, I know there are a bunch on here that don't care about the result or the impact on others and it wasn't the intent to open the door to that conversation.

Bogie Shooter 03-29-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1527999)
Actually it is our business......we pay for it, part of the governments budget. I know there is a feeling that, at our age, it doesn't matter, we pay our taxes and it isn't hurting us. We live in this dual bubble, and have little interest in how others are impacted.......until it impacts us directly. My original post was just a question on the cause, I know there are a bunch on here that don't care about the result or the impact on others and it wasn't the intent to open the door to that conversation.

When the door is opened, most anything can come in:wave:

vintageogauge 03-29-2018 12:50 PM

I had a priority mail packaged sent to me with a tracking number, it didn't arrive when it should have so I checked the number and it stated "delivered to agent", I called the post office, they don't like to answer their phone in Lady Lake, but finally got to talk with the postmaster and she stated if the agent picked it up it is considered delivered and I never got the package or reimbursement. I would assume having mail delivered by USPS personal will eliminate that type of problem. I do however feel sorry for those losing their jobs as we have a very nice person that handles our mail, not the same one that was here when the package disappeared.