Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Input on Epoxy or alternatives for garage floor (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/input-epoxy-alternatives-garage-floor-259695/)

Travel Addict 03-29-2018 10:03 PM

Input on Epoxy or alternatives for garage floor

Closing on a new home next week and are getting quotes on Epoxy for the garage floor. Seeking any other alternatives we should compare to this process?

Nature Stone was popular back home, but the one contractor posted on this forum appears to be out of business.

Thoughts? suggestions? Or comments on your floor if you did the epoxy?

Wiotte 03-29-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travel Addict (Post 1528210)
Closing on a new home next week and are getting quotes on Epoxy for the garage floor. Seeking any other alternatives we should compare to this process?

Nature Stone was popular back home, but the one contractor posted on this forum appears to be out of business.

Do NOTHING. Floors are floated and they perform as designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biker1 03-30-2018 02:14 AM

Epoxy, properly applied, is an excellent surface. Mine is four years old and looks new. It is easy to keep the garage clean since it can be mopped. Tim Miller put it down.

Quote:

CFrance 03-30-2018 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1528234)
Epoxy, properly applied, is an excellent surface. Mine is four years old and looks new. It is easy to keep the garage clean since it can be mopped. Tim Miller put it down.

I second that. He did ours as well. What a difference between that and a cement floor. It will be the first improvement we make to our next house if it doesn't already have this type of floor.

FenneyGuy 03-30-2018 04:58 AM

I have epoxy on my floor in Apollo Beach and love it. Tim is scheduled to epoxy our new garage floor in May after we've closed.

Dan9871 03-30-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Seeking any other alternatives we should compare to this process?

Garage Flooring and shop flooring - RaceDeck Garage Floors

l2ridehd 03-30-2018 06:13 AM

Another vote for epoxy. Easy to clean, no dust, looks great, no water soaks into concrete, cracks can be filled, sanded and when epoxy is applied the crack is gone.

villagetinker 03-30-2018 08:45 AM

OP, what ever you do, make sure the floor coating has "shark grip" or something very similar or you floor may be very slippery when wet, and you would not want to slip and fall. There are many previous threads on this topic on this site, and as I recall a few comments from people that did not use the shark grip on their garage or driveway and ended up with a very slippery surface.
Some of my neighbors have the epoxy finish and it looks great. Long story, but I did my own with a different product, I like the look, but it appears that I cannot apply epoxy over this other coating.
Also, confirm with your supplier that this is a true epoxy and that it will not mark from tires, oil, etc.

TommyT 03-30-2018 09:10 AM

Tim Miller ....

Tim Miller did our garages and did a FANTASTIC job. Tim puts "Shark Grip" in and you don't need to ask. Had him also install the attic stairs. Again, GREAT job :bigbow:.

Tim Miller 352-217-0561

Daddymac 03-30-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan9871 (Post 1528248)

I have this, cleans easy, and looks Great.

Chatbrat 03-30-2018 03:50 PM

More important than the floor a/c the garage--in about 1 month the garage will be too hot to care about the floor

thetruth 03-30-2018 04:53 PM

For my two cents worth

Re: epoxy
You do not say if it is a new house or not. If, new, I would wait a month or two to be sure the cement has cured and there are no cracks due to settling.

We bought a new place. WIFE was not happy that I had my lathe, table saw, work table delivered to our living room-go figure. I waited a month for the cement to cure and then a month for the epoxy to cure. At that time, I came home and wife could not understand why she could not move my about 400 lb worktable and saw at ????? 200 lbs or so.

Actually it is and is not epoxy. The color part is epoxy but the clear coat is polyester. Reason, I'm not sure but polester is cheaper and does not yellow as epoxy does.
So, your wear surface is polyester.

We've had ours for four years, I beat the suffen out of it and it looks brand new. We do not have the traction grit added to the coating. It is true the floor is very slippery if it gets wet. soap, oil dramatically worsens this effect.

Would I add the grit? Frankly, I don't know. I would imagine when you/I move heavy stuff the grit would show more wear.

MAY BE IMPORTANT-I know that, battery acid, will damage an epoxy painted floor, As I write, I wonder if paint remover or lye-used to remove paint and to open drains would damage it. I would expect so. I would also expect that an epoxy painted floor is difficult it no impossible to restore damages.

Miles42 03-30-2018 10:11 PM

I had Epoxy and love the look

Wiotte 03-30-2018 10:17 PM

I’ll keep mine floated concrete. When it gets spotted, I won’t care. Besides, I use my garage for its intended purpose, not trying to keep up with the Jones’s keeps more money where it belongs, in my bank, not the garage floor. Although I do like the way it looks, I’d just destroy it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chatbrat 03-31-2018 04:08 AM

same o, here, its just a garage--vac or blow the dirt off, whatever floats your boat--