Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Baseball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/)
-   -   Who watches Major League Baseball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/who-watches-major-league-baseball-259820/)

rustyp 03-31-2018 06:40 PM

Who watches Major League Baseball

After years of not watching MLB I decided to come back and try this year from the start. You know really get into it. Since I am in Florida now and trying to break the mold of your old home town is the favorite I picked Tampa Bay Rays. I gave it three innings. Probably the grossest thing I've seen on television in years. I timed it. In five minutes I seen 10 exhibitions of spitting in HD. One was inside the dugout. My choice is not to watch and that is my choice. I didn't count the amount of testicle tugging although not as much as projectile saliva heaving that I observed. How do you fans watch this stuff without getting queasy ?

karostay 03-31-2018 06:43 PM

I don't watch or support in any of the so called professorial team sports ending with Ball
College different story

manaboutown 03-31-2018 06:58 PM

The hundreds of HD spitting events in any major league baseball game literally turns my stomach. The fields and dirt must be saturated by spittle from the years of it occurring. I imagine it started with the tobacco chaw and gum chewing so prevalent in baseball

I am watching the Tampa Bay - Boston Red Sox game right now. I notice in the Sox dugout three one gallon or so size barrels full of Dubble Bubble chewing gum!

CWGUY 03-31-2018 08:27 PM

:ohdear: Spitting? Bubble Gum? Professional Testicle Tugging? :faint:

I sure am glad my T.V. came with a power button!

Wiotte 03-31-2018 09:50 PM

Is this thread serious ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeanFL 03-31-2018 10:13 PM

Well, as far as baseball-the game.... I simply cannot watch that sport for too long anymore. sloooooooooow. The nation's pastime is simply way too slow and way too long. The old 'watching paint dry' is so true. And with many pro sports now - I tend to not get into watching multimillionaires playing a game and still complaining. done.

Nucky 03-31-2018 11:17 PM

As long as they are standing when its important to me before the game they can carry on as necessary. My dad used to say leave it alone it will grow. About a million jokes are going through my mind I better conclude now.

CFrance 04-01-2018 12:59 AM

I love baseball. Love it. I even love watching pitching duels. I also love watching my home team who, unfortunately, rarely had a winning season in the last quarter century. (There's always a new year.)

I love every technical thing about the game, plus the fact that it's on almost every day. I just ignore the spitting and the tugging. I actually don't see too much tugging anymore, so that piece of sports equipment must have gotten better design down through the years. I could do without the spitting, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying the sport.

To each his own.

Rapscallion St Croix 04-01-2018 08:44 AM

Do not watch MLB. I watch college baseball once the CWS starts. I watch college softball all season long, through the regionals and CWS.. during regular season, I only watch SEC teams.

2BNTV 04-01-2018 09:56 AM

Only if the Yankees are playing but this thread isn't about sports watching, it's more about what players do between pitches. IMHO

If one is a Tampa Rays fan, Dish covers almost all of their games on channel 412.

Kenswing 04-01-2018 10:06 AM

Spitting doesn't bother me too much. It's the "snot rockets" that gross me out.. Then they wipe the remnants on their sleeves.. barf

Challenger 04-01-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1528900)
I love baseball. Love it. I even love watching pitching duels. I also love watching my home team who, unfortunately, rarely had a winning season in the last quarter century. (There's always a new year.)

I love every technical thing about the game, plus the fact that it's on almost every day. I just ignore the spitting and the tugging. I actually don't see too much tugging anymore, so that piece of sports equipment must have gotten better design down through the years. I could do without the spitting, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying the sport.

To each his own.

me too

eremite06 04-01-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1528993)
me too

Me three.

rustyp 04-01-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1528982)
Only if the Yankees are playing but this thread isn't about sports watching, it's more about what players do between pitches. IMHO

If one is a Tampa Rays fan, Dish covers almost all of their games on channel 412.

The between pitches thing is why I stopped watching years ago. It must be 90% of the time it takes to play a game. Nothing has changed except the size and clarity of my TV screen.
I settle down in front of my 60 inch HD beauty in my man cave. Got a bowl of ice cream with maple syrup on top. Can't get better than this (at my age).
Picture gets ball and fiddles with it in his glove. Camera zooms in but my new TV amazes me, I can count the stitches on the threads. Picture stares at catcher. Shakes head, no. Pitcher looks to first base, stare down. Pitcher looks back at catcher. Fiddles ball inside glove again. Looks like we are going to do it. No pitcher throws ball to first base. Now pitcher keeps touching brim of hat before starting the whole routine again. Here it comes again but wait pitcher seems to be stalling a bit more than normal and the batter steps out of the box. My TV working perfect I can even count the whiskers on the batters three day old unshaven face. Batter steps back in box, umpire motions for pitcher to throw in ball for examination. Umpire looks at something gives ball to catcher to throw back to pitcher. Routine starts again. Looking good. Pitcher stares at ground with a TV camera closeup and there it is - he curls his tongue up and heaves a honker so vivid it appears to be in 3D with a force that could knock a buzzard off a s--t wagon at 100 ft. Totally ruined my ice cream sundae. Pitch was wide outside. Let's do it again. I switched to the golf channel.

justjim 04-01-2018 02:54 PM

I watch the game and enjoy it between sips of my beverage and snacks. It don’t get much better except an occasional trip (After the monthly check comes) to the ballpark for a hot dog and cold beverage. PLAY BALL!