Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Waterfront Inn 2 nights, what's a must see. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/waterfront-inn-2-nights-whats-must-see-261077/)

Chuck1674 04-15-2018 06:53 PM

Waterfront Inn 2 nights, what's a must see.

Hello I will be in Florida this week and managed to set up a side trip to check out The Villages. Staying at the Waterfront Inn Tues and Wed. What are the must see things. I am doing some advanced scouting on my retirement dream. Anything going on....lol

fw102807 04-15-2018 06:58 PM

The trolley ride from the sales center is very informative

justjim 04-15-2018 07:54 PM

Sumter Landing

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1533503)
The trolley ride from the sales center is very informative

:beer3: The trolley ride doesn’t cost anything and a good idea. Hang around Sumter Landing and talk to some of the residents. You can learn a lot about TV by chatting with people on the Squares. Definitely read the Daily Sun and take a drive. For 5.00 get yourself a map of TV and make your way down to Brownwood and Spanish Springs too. Enjoy!

Villagevip 04-15-2018 10:23 PM

I suggest, rent a golf cart, and go on a long scenic cruise, late in the afternoon, soak it all in......That, should be the closer, done deal...

jojo 04-16-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck1674 (Post 1533501)
Hello I will be in Florida this week and managed to set up a side trip to check out The Villages. Staying at the Waterfront Inn Tues and Wed. What are the must see things. I am doing some advanced scouting on my retirement dream. Anything going on....lol

You are in for a treat. Tuesday night, go to the Lake Sumter Landing square - a couple blocks from your hotel and see Scooter the DJ. Grab a seat and watch the zaniness and fun. Good time to talk to lots of folks. Entertainment 5 to 9 p.m.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 04-16-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Check out TheVillages.com and go to the recreation section and see what clubs are meeting on those days. Find some that interest you and attend. Then go to the squares at night if you like music or dancing.

There's a DJ in LSL that night so if you're interested in live music stay away.

I found the trolley tour and boat ride to be a waste of time.

If you play golf, you can call the golf office and set up a tee time.

Bay Kid 04-16-2018 08:03 AM

You will be overwhelmed by TV. It will take years to learn this great place. Enjoy the beauty.

tomwed 04-16-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1533517)
:beer3: The trolley ride doesn’t cost anything and a good idea. Hang around Sumter Landing and talk to some of the residents. You can learn a lot about TV by chatting with people on the Squares. Definitely read the Daily Sun and take a drive. For 5.00 get yourself a map of TV and make your way down to Brownwood and Spanish Springs too. Enjoy!

If you are shy here is a feel good trick/tip that works every time. Buy the map at the real estate office, stand in a square, hold it in the air like you are looking for someplace and within 30 seconds a villager will approach you and offer to help. When I first came down I never did that on purpose to meet someone but realized that's what happened every time.
The trolly/bus ride seeing the north end, if it still runs, is a great way to learn. The same with the south end. I'm not sure a golf cart is a must or playing golf. A golfer can just look at a course and know quality. Take lots of pictures and videos.

Bogie Shooter 04-16-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Village Community Development Districts
Golf The Villages
The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
The Sharon | The Villages Sharon L. Morse - Performing Arts Center - Tickets and Upcoming Performances
thevillagesdailysun.com | Trusted Villages news, weather, events, and more.

jnieman 04-16-2018 12:36 PM

I agree with taking the trolley tour. It leaves from the sales office at lake sumter landing. Also nearby the sales office is a nice restaurant on the lake called the Lighthouse. I like the fish dinner. If it is a nice day sit out and enjoy the view over the lake. If you do rent a golf cart do yourself a favor and go to the apps section on your phone and buy the Villages Golf Cart GPS. It is cheap. It will really help you if you go exploring in the Villages. The bar at Mallory Country club is a lively place if you are looking to eat at a country club. The views from the patio are nice. City Fire in Sumter Landing is within walking distance of your hotel and is a lively place. I also enjoy eating outside at Johnny Rockets in Sumter Landing. I love their chocolate malts which they will split for you if you have a companion. You can actually eat outside at Johnny Rockets and listen to the band. If you are even vaguely thinking about buying a home here anytime in the future stop by the sales office and get an information packet. Not sure what they do now but they used to have a packet with a DVD to watch (it may be all on line now). The packet gives you info on home models and other info about living here.

tomwed 04-16-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnieman (Post 1533733)
I agree with taking the trolley tour. It leaves from the sales office at lake sumter landing. Also nearby the sales office is a nice restaurant on the lake called the Lighthouse. I like the fish dinner. If it is a nice day sit out and enjoy the view over the lake. If you do rent a golf cart do yourself a favor and go to the apps section on your phone and buy the Villages Golf Cart GPS. It is cheap. It will really help you if you go exploring in the Villages. The bar at Mallory Country club is a lively place if you are looking to eat at a country club. The views from the patio are nice. City Fire in Sumter Landing is within walking distance of your hotel and is a lively place. I also enjoy eating outside at Johnny Rockets in Sumter Landing. I love their chocolate malts which they will split for you if you have a companion. You can actually eat outside at Johnny Rockets and listen to the band. If you are even vaguely thinking about buying a home here anytime in the future stop by the sales office and get an information packet. Not sure what they do now but they used to have a packet with a DVD to watch (it may be all on line now). The packet gives you info on home models and other info about living here.

great advice---added to everyone else's great advice.

villagerjack 04-16-2018 01:19 PM

Do this first.

Purchase $8 ?? and download the Villages GPS navigation AP. You will be able to find your own way by car or golf cart. I recommend renting a cart.

Fraugoofy 04-16-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1533742)
Do this first.

Purchase $8 ?? and download the Villages GPS navigation AP. You will be able to find your own way by car or golf cart. I recommend renting a cart.

Better yet. Just put Google maps on bicycle mode for free. The Villages GPS was built for cavemen...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

pauld315 04-16-2018 10:27 PM

Eaton's Beach and Gator Joe's on Lake Weir, preferably by boat