Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   CenturyLink and Talk of The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/centurylink-talk-villages-261357/)

sdeikenberry 04-19-2018 12:46 PM

CenturyLink and Talk of The Villages

Apparently not all CenturyLink customers have trouble logging on to Talk of the Villages. I have CenturyLink and am having no trouble logging on, accessing links, etc. Just sayin'...

askcarl 04-19-2018 12:49 PM

CenturyLink here. Obviously NO problems.

bhallam 04-19-2018 12:56 PM

I have had issues with Centurylink DNS. Have to reboot my router sometimes twice a week; the dNS service gets reestaablished and then the problem goes away for a while.

jtdraig 04-19-2018 01:05 PM

Century Link

I can't access TOTV with by clicking a link in email but I can by directly inputting the website into the address bar...after that, it is a normal connection.

golfing eagles 04-19-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdeikenberry (Post 1534773)
Apparently not all CenturyLink customers have trouble logging on to Talk of the Villages. I have CenturyLink and am having no trouble logging on, accessing links, etc. Just sayin'...

Quote:

Originally Posted by askcarl (Post 1534774)
CenturyLink here. Obviously NO problems.

same here

Goldwingnut 04-19-2018 01:07 PM

Easy fix for this, change your DNS settings for your network adapter to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as an alternate. These are the Google hosted DNS servers. Once you make the change the problems go away.

fw102807 04-19-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldwingnut (Post 1534781)
Easy fix for this, change your DNS settings for your network adapter to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as an alternate. These are the Google hosted DNS servers. Once you make the change the problems go away.

Everyone that has CenturyLink should be using the same DNS servers so I would think that the problem has more to do with the router that needs to be reset several times a week.

Radioman41 04-19-2018 01:58 PM

I have been having trouble accessing TOTV with Spectrum the last several days. Often can't find the site. Sometimes it will lose the link when following a thread. Can get back in after several attempts. I have rebooted the modem and router.

Karl1948 04-19-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdeikenberry (Post 1534773)

Mine either. It is always useful to know the history of your provider. Unlike the cable companies, CenturyLink is a legacy landline phone company. In most of The Villages, they have now installed optic cable, approximately the same technology as the cable companies use. That is what I have at super high speed - the fastest I have ever had including my Wisconsin state government network on the internet's backbone at UW-Madison. Twisted pair copper wire is no longer available in the Village of Woodbury. Perhaps that newer technology meets the needs of TOTV's server, while the older twisted pair needs a modem tweak.

TOTV Team 04-19-2018 02:02 PM

CenturyLink admits it was an issue they are having and their only solution was for any customer that has an issue to call into CenturyLink customer service and they would have to have their customer reconfigure their router.

But many users have thought our site was down and it wasn't.

We wish we could do more to help those customers who have been trying to access TOTV and haven't. Glad to hear at least some CL customers are able to get on. I wonder if it is owned vs leased routers?

Regards,

bhallam 04-19-2018 02:39 PM

done that but still occasionally have a dns problem. i do suspect the router they gave me when I gave up prism is not the greatest. Due for a price increase from CL this month and will be switching to (ugh) Xfinity. Fastest speed I can get from CL is 25 Mbs in my neighborhood (St. Charles) due to copper.

TOTV Team 04-19-2018 03:02 PM

Sorry to hear that but we have had no issues with xfinity and their speeds were the best we could find but do your own research and good luck!

fw102807 04-19-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhallam (Post 1534816)
done that but still occasionally have a dns problem. i do suspect the router they gave me when I gave up prism is not the greatest. Due for a price increase from CL this month and will be switching to (ugh) Xfinity. Fastest speed I can get from CL is 25 Mbs in my neighborhood (St. Charles) due to copper.

We did this reluctantly because of our experience with them up north but we have found that they are much better now and we were happy we switched.

Nucky 04-19-2018 04:39 PM

FW102807, how long have you been back with Comcast?

fw102807 04-19-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1534845)
FW102807, how long have you been back with Comcast?

Since last fall. We swore we never would but the only other option we had was CL over DSL and it was beyond awful. We only have it for internet access and phone.