Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   chuck roast with vegetables including yummy parsnips (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/chuck-roast-vegetables-including-yummy-parsnips-261929/)

graciegirl 04-26-2018 10:23 AM

chuck roast with vegetables including yummy parsnips

Ultimate Pot Roast Recipe | Taste of Home

I can't tell you how many times when I have checked out at the grocery with parsnips that the checker doesn't know what they are. They are so sweet and good.

Our family also enjoys kolrabi, a mild cabbage flavored vegetable. We like to add cheese sauce, perhaps not as healthy but tasty.

One of Ohio's famous casseroles is "Johnny Marzetti" and it is even in the famous "Joy of Cooking".

Some folks call food from the heartland fly over food, but they probably haven't enjoyed some of the wonderful food I have from the middle states. Living here in The Villages allows us to sample food prepared by other parts of the country. There are some fine cooks who have made The Villages their home.

jnieman 04-26-2018 11:02 AM

I love parnips and carrots and sweet onion chunks roasted in the oven. Cut them all the same size and toss them in pork rub and a little seasoned salt and olive oil, put on a sheet pan at 425 for about 25-35 minutes until done. Not burned as they turn bitter. Once you try these you won't ever boil them again.

manaboutown 04-26-2018 11:35 AM

YUM! Sounds like a flavorful satisfying pot roast stew containing some healthful fresh ingredients to enjoy on a cold night in front of a roaring fire after some strenuous day-long outdoor activity such ice skating on the pond, cross country or downhill skiing or splitting a cord of firewood with a hand axe. A glass or two of a robust red wine might provide some additional zest!

DeanFL 04-26-2018 12:00 PM

We so seldom use our crock pot, but I made pot roast a couple weeks ago. OMG. Just like mamma used to make. Wait...sorry mom - much better...ours was really tender.
And the house smelled so yummy for 10 hours.
And the tummy was satisfied for about as long.

Nothing like a good hearty homecooked meal as you know the ingredients and spices and lovin' that went into the prep. So satisfying.

Gracie, just wonderin' - do you say your name before a meal?:pray:

tomwed 04-26-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1537247)
We so seldom use our crock pot, but I made pot roast a couple weeks ago. OMG. Just like mamma used to make. Wait...sorry mom - much better...ours was really tender.

Nothing like a good hearty homecooked meal as you know the ingredients and spices and lovin' that went into the prep. So satisfying.

I make that too. I flour and brown the meat and use one of those cups to remove the fat from the au jous at the end. Walmart sells the meat and veggies in a seal a meal bag that is not overpriced. I wish they found other meats and veggie combinations that works.

Nucky 04-26-2018 12:20 PM

My mouth is watering like the St. Bernard on Turner & Hooch. I love the Anticipatory Delight of the Crock Pot.

Kenswing 04-26-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1537247)

I use our crock pot often.. Pot roasts for sure. Beef ribs turn out really well. Corn beef. I'll do a pork shoulder and make pulled pork out of it. It's also great for keeping things warm at parties.

Jima64 04-26-2018 01:47 PM

Won't the taters and carrots get mushy. I put mine in toward the end of the meat cook time.

tomwed 04-26-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jima64 (Post 1537284)
Won't the taters and carrots get mushy. I put mine in toward the end of the meat cook time.

They do get a little too soft if you put them in right away. I had company that was running late the last time I made it. I ended up taking out the potatoes, onions and carrots. I microwaved new potatoes and added new onions and carrots.

I think if you are at home roasting at least the veggies is better.

CFrance 04-26-2018 01:59 PM

We should do a crock pot thread. We just made deconstructed stuffed cabbage in the crock pot. Saute a pound of very lean ground beef (extremely lean, like the 96% you can get at Walmart, and don't drain it, because you need the flavor from that little bit of fat), a chopped onion, and since we love green peppers, two green peppers in big dices (that's not in the recipe). Add 6 cups of shredded cabbage (easy to buy pre-shredded) 1/2 cup white rice, 1/4 cup water, a couple cups of tomato sauce., salt & pepper to taste, and 1/2 Tbs paprika. Slow-cook 6 hours on high (as per our Instant Pot). Here's the thing... coming out of the pot, we thought it was very bland. I put hot sauce on mine. But it makes a lot, and it got better the next day and the next. Now we're hooked on it.

tomwed 04-26-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1537289)
We should do a crock pot thread. We just made deconstructed stuffed cabbage in the crock pot. Saute a pound of very lean ground beef (extremely lean, like the 96% you can get at Walmart, and don't drain it, because you need the flavor from that little bit of fat), a chopped onion, and since we love green peppers, two green peppers in big dices (that's not in the recipe). Add 6 cups of shredded cabbage (easy to buy pre-shredded) 1/2 cup white rice, 1/4 cup water, a couple cups of tomato sauce., salt & pepper to taste, and 1/2 Tbs paprika. Slow-cook 6 hours on high (as per our Instant Pot). Here's the thing... coming out of the pot, we thought it was very bland. I put hot sauce on mine. But it makes a lot, and it got better the next day and the next. Now we're hooked on it.

I'll try that. What size crock pot are you using.. More then 5 quarts I'll bet.

CFrance 04-26-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1537296)
I'll try that. What size crock pot are you using.. More then 5 quarts I'll bet.

It's a UK version--5 liters. The recipe mentions that the pot will be stuffed at first, but the cabbage cooks down.

I cut the green peppers into fairly large dice so they won't get mushy. But that's our add--not in the recipe.

It really is better the next day.

I can't find the link to the recipe, or I would put it up. Here's another one that uses brown rice and broth. Un-stuffed Cabbage Bowls (Instant Pot or Stove Top) | Skinnytaste

tomwed 04-26-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1537306)
It's a UK version--5 liters. The recipe mentions that the pot will be stuffed at first, but the cabbage cooks down.

I cut the green peppers into fairly large dice so they won't get mushy. But that's our add--not in the recipe.

It really is better the next day.

I can't find the link to the recipe, or I would put it up. Here's another one that uses brown rice and broth. Un-stuffed Cabbage Bowls (Instant Pot or Stove Top) | Skinnytaste

Does it freeze well?

CFrance 04-26-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1537309)
Does it freeze well?

I've never frozen it (we oink it up too fast), but I would think the cabbage , and green peppers if you use them, would get mushy.:shrug:

tomwed 04-26-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1537314)
I've never frozen it (we oink it up too fast), but I would think the cabbage , and green peppers if you use them, would get mushy.:shrug:

I could make half the cabbage and just freeze the stuffing [sans pepper].