Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Newcomer from VT (originally from Maine) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/newcomer-vt-originally-maine-262686/)

The2nd50 05-05-2018 01:13 PM

Newcomer from VT (originally from Maine)

Moving to the Villages in September with my hubby! Can’t wait to experience retirement and engage in some of the clubs and activities the community has to offer! Also a little nervous about the transition from working full-time as an RN for over 32 years to not working at all (or very little.) What’s your best advice?

lanabanana73 05-05-2018 02:25 PM

Best advice is......RELAX and enjoy!! I am an RN from Windsor, VT who works 3 per diem jobs there so that I can take large chunks of time off to spend at our home in Tamarind Grove. Leaving tomorrow after three months here. It will likely be 3 years before hubby and I can spend 6 mos/6 mos in VT/FL. That's the goal. Make a plan.....work the plan! I will PM you with my email address. If we can help you in any way, please let us know. Good luck!

villagetinker 05-05-2018 02:55 PM

OP, we found that we could easily be busier in retirement (HERE) then we every were working! Come on down, make new friends and start to do things, just be careful how many things you decide to do!! A big welcome to TV.

asianthree 05-06-2018 08:12 AM

I am still struggling with leaving my job that I love. We are very fortunate to have more than one house so I can work for 4 months, take a month off and return to work. So far it’s working for me

Polar Bear 05-06-2018 08:32 AM

Don't put pressure on yourself to be tooooo active. Ease into your retirement life and learn your optimal pace and favorite activities. :)

champion6 05-06-2018 08:44 AM

Best advice? Remember this ... the best is yet to come!

The2nd50 05-06-2018 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback!
Deb

2BNTV 05-07-2018 02:47 PM

Don't try to get everything done in your house in two weeks. You might wind up on the couch for several weeks. Do something everyday but don't burn yourself out.

Laudette 05-07-2018 04:56 PM

Hello there,

We are also from Vt. We absolutely love it here and are ready to become permanent residents. We live in lake Deaton. Close to Brownwood. Pm me with any questions or help

rustyp 05-07-2018 05:35 PM

///

jcameron 05-28-2018 08:33 AM

New to TV

My wife and I just move here from VT two weeks ago, Absolutely love it here.. Been coming for about ten years now and said that when we send off our daughter to college that we will make the move. To early to retire( 57) so we need to fine jobs for another five years. We wanted to be here when we do retire, People here are so nice and we can't wait for whats in store for us,

champion6 05-28-2018 08:42 AM

Remember ... the best is yet to come!

EPutnam1863 05-28-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 1548040)
Remember ... the best is yet to come!

And the worst (heat and humidity) is yet to come.

champion6 05-28-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 (Post 1548070)
And the worst (heat and humidity) is yet to come.

No problem ... for seven years.

JoMar 05-28-2018 08:31 PM

I found that those that have trouble retiring (if it's not financial) is that their life and self worth is defined by their work. They love their job, they have great friends for many, many years at work and any number of other reasons are used so they can continue to stay there. If you don't feel there is more to life then work then don't come here, or don't retire. The Villages gives you opportunities to expand your circle of friends and will include people from all over this Country, what a great way to expand your knowledge. The clubs and organizations open new horizons and experiences to try stuff you never thought about or if you did, never had the opportunity to try. So if you're not ready then don't try and force it because you will never fully embrace what TV has to offer you. When you are ready to change your life, walk through the door and don't look back.