Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   To Pool or not to Pool? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/pool-not-pool-263249/)

vonbork 05-13-2018 08:58 AM

To Pool or not to Pool?

Hi everyone. After a number of visits to TV we're finally ready to pull the plug. A few of the houses we're interested in have pools which seems to us as desirable. Some people we've talked to say pools are great with the ability to take a dip whenever you want and use it privately for therapeutic purposes. Others say pools are money pits with constant maintenance and repairs, and that there are always pools nearby so why bother, especially with the additional initial cost of the house. We know it's a personal decision when considering the amount of use it would get, but any experiences would be welcome. Thanks!

billethkid 05-13-2018 09:04 AM

NOTHING beats having your own pool in your back yard.

We do not measure it in terms of how often we use it. It is in constant use, visually and sound wise. Changes the whole outlook and ambiance.

There are many more things we do in life that cost a lot more than a pool.

There is no way one can rationalize that there are plenty of pools around....nothing beats stepping out the door into yours!!!! NOTHING!!!

In my humble unbiased opinion (with a pool and hot tub for the last 30 years).

graciegirl 05-13-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1543185)
NOTHING beats having your own pool in your back yard.

We do not measure it in terms of how often we use it. It is in constant use, visually and sound wise. Changes the whole outlook and ambiance.

There are many more things we do in life that cost a lot more than a pool.

There is no way one can rationalize that there are plenty of pools around....nothing beats stepping out the door into yours!!!! NOTHING!!!

In my humble unbiased opinion (with a pool and hot tub for the last 30 years).

This is our first one and I so agree. Sometimes I can't believe I am so lucky.

spring_chicken 05-13-2018 09:12 AM

Wouldn't consider giving mine up. I have been to a villages pool 1 time and after loading my stuff on the cart and driving to the pool I got stung by a wasp as I was sitting there watching a man with an open, oozing wound swimming around in a speedo.
No thanks.

Kahuna32162 05-13-2018 09:12 AM

Absolutely POOL, would not live in Florida without one. We have T&D do all the maintenance weekly and use it almost daily. Have never been to a neighborhood pool, but we participate in activities like aerobics and water Volleyball at the sports pools. My opinion is that it is cheaper to find a resale with a pool already installed, then the cost and time to have one built.

pbkmaine 05-13-2018 09:17 AM

We bought a house with a pool at my husband’s insistence. He was right - we use it almost every day from May-November. There is nothing more refreshing in the heat of a Florida summer than jumping in the pool.

Chi-Town 05-13-2018 09:17 AM

Nice comfortable raft and a floating drink holder. Can't enjoy that at a community pool.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

JimC55 05-13-2018 09:26 AM

Been here 3 years. Put a pool and summer kitchen in this year. Wish I had bought one with it already there. Construction costs and the mess it creates afterwards is a bit much. Buy one with a pool and outdoor kitchen. You will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braddock 05-13-2018 09:33 AM

Have pool 15x30 and summer kitchen with 60 pound tanks. Summer kitchen would not do again.
Pool is a must. I’m in it everyday!
Worth every dollar.
T&D maintains every week.

villagetinker 05-13-2018 10:05 AM

One opposing opinion, we went with a hot tub, I have the heat on for 9 months, and heat OFF during the summer July, August, October,and use it to cool off. It typically stays around 80 to 85 degrees during the summer. We have the Hot tub in the lanai, making it usable year round and even during a rain storm, however not when lightning is present. The water jets and air bubbles are great for aches and pains. We figured after the initial joy of the pool, we would not use it much. I think we were right, in over 4 years here, I have not yet used the local pool, and my wife has only used it a few times. The hot tub gets used 3 to 4 times per week.

Debfrommaine 05-13-2018 10:09 AM

Pool

Sent you a PM

Rwirish 05-14-2018 05:54 AM

Absoluately no need for a pool

when there are 70 plus pools in TV.

Despite comments here, I have been told over and over again by many pool owners that they seldom use their pool ( after the initial excitement ) and they are a waste of money.

Chatbrat 05-14-2018 06:00 AM

Just like a Jacuzzi--used it a few times, when the novelty wears off, never used again--same goes for in house exercise equipment

Bay Kid 05-14-2018 06:09 AM

If I lived in TVs year round I would have my own pool for sure!

bilcon 05-14-2018 06:15 AM

We have a pool and have spent a total of $300 for some repairs over a nine year period. We love it and the sound of waterfalls. Just installed a new stamped concrete pool deck. It is beautiful, and was done by Go Concrete. Sorry, I would never have a hot tub because of medical problems, and I feel it is a breeding ground for germs. I know, a personal one is usually cleaned properly.