Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water/sewer charge question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-sewer-charge-question-263739/)

BRN_RI_FL 05-20-2018 08:09 AM

Water/sewer charge question

Just trying to understand our monthly bill. Last month we were in RI for the whole billing cycle. Our Marion County water/sewer charge was $76.86. Water charge base was $12.75 while water charge use was $7.14. Sewer charge base was $22.53 while sewer charge use was $34.44. Since virtually all water use was for irrigation, I guess I am paying a sewer charge on that. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Bruce

skip0358 05-20-2018 08:14 AM

Check your actual billing dates. In Sumter mine goes from one month into the next. My last bill was 4/10-5/9. If yours doesn't work that way I'd suggest calling your service provider and get an answer.

BRN_RI_FL 05-20-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0358 (Post 1545415)
Check your actual billing dates. In Sumter mine goes from one month into the next. My last bill was 4/10-5/9. If yours doesn't work that way I'd suggest calling your service provider and get an answer.

The service period was 3/14 to 4/12, while we were in RI. I don’t believe we use the retention ponds for watering up here so I guess your sewer charge would be based on your water usage even though the water usage (irrigation) doesn’t have much to do with the sewers. Is it different down south where you have two water lines coming in? I would think that you wouldn’t be charged for sewer for your irrigation. Am I correct in my thinking?

Bogie Shooter 05-20-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucernelson (Post 1545417)
The service period was 3/14 to 4/12, while we were in RI. I don’t believe we use the retention ponds for watering up here so I guess your sewer charge would be based on your water usage even though the water usage (irrigation) doesn’t have much to do with the sewers. Is it different down south where you have two water lines coming in? I would think that you wouldn’t be charged for sewer for your irrigation. Am I correct in my thinking?

South of 466, two meters. No sewer charge on irrigation water usage.
Your best bet to understand you bill is to call the provider...………………..

CWGUY 05-20-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1545436)

I agree call your provider if you didn't find these things out before buying :oops: like most do.

CWGUY 05-20-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucernelson (Post 1545417)

:wave: Sorry..... wrong in your thinking. You only have one source of water coming into your home and it's not a pond. It's all potable. It's metered. Your sewage is not metered. Your sewer bill is based on the amount of water you use. Also there is a monthly base use for water and sewer.

If you were away and irrigated.... you have a sewer bill due.:oops:

BRN_RI_FL 05-20-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1545436)

I think I’ve got it now. On the back of the bill it says that sewer usage is based on water consumption and is capped at 6,000 gallons. So I would imagine my bill, especially when we are not here, would be higher being north of 466 as opposed to south of 466.

BRN_RI_FL 05-20-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1545457)
:wave: Sorry..... wrong in your thinking. You only have one source of water coming into your home and it's not a pond. It's all potable. It's metered. Your sewage is not metered. Your sewer bill is based on the amount of water you use. Also there is a monthly base use for water and sewer.

If you were away and irrigated.... you have a sewer bill due.:oops:

I agree. In my post I meant that the more southern sections wouldnt be charged for sewer on irrigation because they have two meters. I guess I’m stuck having only one.

tagjr1 05-22-2018 09:02 AM

Do You turn off your water when You leave for any extended time? If NO, then You could be experiencing the dreaded "mystery flush" !

Bogie Shooter 05-22-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucernelson (Post 1545463)
I think I’ve got it now. On the back of the bill it says that sewer usage is based on water consumption and is capped at 6,000 gallons. So I would imagine my bill, especially when we are not here, would be higher being north of 466 as opposed to south of 466.

Only if you do a lot of irrigation.

B-flat 09-08-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagjr1 (Post 1546250)
Do You turn off your water when You leave for any extended time? If NO, then You could be experiencing the dreaded "mystery flush" !

What is a “mystery flush?” Or my being naive and it was meant as a joke?

rjm1cc 09-08-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-flat (Post 1579615)
What is a “mystery flush?” Or my being naive and it was meant as a joke?

A slow leak in your toilet. Every couple of years you will have to replace the flapper as it will eventually leak.

spring_chicken 09-08-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucernelson (Post 1545466)
I agree. In my post I meant that the more southern sections wouldnt be charged for sewer on irrigation because they have two meters. I guess I’m stuck having only one.

Don't consider it "stuck". Be thankful you don't have the treated wastewater in your lawn. People get bad infections from the crapwater they use at the ballfields.
My usage is 3 times what it was back home and my bill is half.

B-flat 09-08-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1579617)
A slow leak in your toilet. Every couple of years you will have to replace the flapper as it will eventually leak.

Thank you for the clarification.

graciegirl 09-08-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1579618)
Don't consider it "stuck". Be thankful you don't have the treated wastewater in your lawn. People get bad infections from the crapwater they use at the ballfields.
My usage is 3 times what it was back home and my bill is half.

What kind of infections? Golfers pick up balls and handle clubs that meet the grass that is watered with the same stuff. We haven't had an infection from golfing. This is the first time I have heard of anyone getting a "bad infection from a ballfield here.

Lawn irrigation water stinks because water in the pipes laying in this heat grows bacteria. Lawn irrigation water south of 466 all comes from the retention ponds which I think is a very good idea.