Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   DIY Yogurt---Can I make my own using a crockpot? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/diy-yogurt-can-i-make-my-own-using-crockpot-264611/)

tomwed 05-29-2018 05:43 PM

DIY Yogurt---Can I make my own using a crockpot?

How to Make Homemade Yogurt (including instructions for Greek Yogurt!) - Creative Green Living

Has anyone done this?

What milk do you use/ organic, 2%, whole?

If I use skim milk will it taste good? or even close to good?

Does anyone want to try it out with me and compare notes?

I like vanilla---do I just add a splash of extract?

bonus question:

How do they get teflon to stick to the bottom of the pan?

fw102807 05-29-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1548662)
How to Make Homemade Yogurt (including instructions for Greek Yogurt!) - Creative Green Living

Has anyone done this?

What milk do you use/ organic, 2%, whole?

If I use skim milk will it taste good? or even close to good?

Does anyone want to try it out with me and compare notes?

I like vanilla---do I just add a splash of extract?

bonus question:

How do they get teflon to stick to the bottom of the pan?

I have a neighbor who is vegan and makes his own non dairy cheese and some of it is quite good.

asianthree 05-29-2018 06:48 PM

Little too much caffeine today? You need to stop reading articles. And really don’t engage in Pinterest. :loco::mmmm: That said, yes you can make or your own yogurt, however one must have a starter.

It does not matter what dairy you use, I have even tried strawberry or chocolate milk. You can make it on a slow cooker, or a pressure cooker. I prefer an actual yogurt maker. There are hundreds of recipes. Have been making Greek yogurt since I was little. No skill involved, just correct Temperature and in a yogurt maker at least 12 hours

Toymeister 05-29-2018 08:28 PM

I have been making my own for years. "Greek" yogurt is just yogurt. The stuff sold in stores as yogurt is yogurt, water and corn starch or modified food starch. In other words pudding with yogurt.

You can use that yogurt as a starter. He simple, scald the milk, cool, mix one dollop starter per quart, place a top a heating pad set to low, cover with towel and over night You have yogurt. Pour off the whey, sweetener and fruit to taste. I add my favorite preserves.

Madelaine Amee 05-30-2018 05:34 AM

I have been making my own Yogurt for several years. Before you do anything get a really good plain yogurt to use as a started - it must state Live Culture on the container.

I use whole milk, sometimes mix in half and half, bring it close to a low simmer (about 170 degrees) and let it cool to where you can put the tip of your finger into the milk. When it is cooled Take out about a cupful of milk mix it with two or three tablespoons of the starter and pour back into the boiled milk. Cover and set aside to cook.

I put my covered yogurt in the garage (which is very hot right now) and leave it for at least 12 hrs because I like my yogurt thick. At this point I strain my yogurt though a piece of thin fabric (I use an old tee shirt) in a wire strainer and just let it strain off the whey until the yogurt is the consistency you want.

I don't put any sugar, honey or other sweetener into my yogurt ... I like it just thick and creamy. Once you make your first batch of yogurt this will be your starter for future yogurts.

It's obvious that you like to play in the kitchen, and when you have made your own yogurt you will never want to buy anything else. This link has some interesting information How to Make Greek Yogurt | Easy Homemade Greek Yogurt | The easiest how to guides to make greek yogurt at home

tomwed 05-30-2018 08:37 AM

This looks like it will work too.

fw102807 05-31-2018 05:23 PM

So how did it turn out?

ColdNoMore 05-31-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1549242)
So how did it turn out?

He'll report back after his stomach is pumped...and the hospital releases him.

:D

tomwed 05-31-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1549247)
He'll report back after his stomach is pumped...and the hospital releases him.

:D

I haven't made any yet. It takes a long time to prepare. The recipe calls for an active culture and I have been reading Don Quixote, going to art museums and listening to Yo Yo Ma and her son.

Abby10 05-31-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1549264)
I haven't made any yet. It takes a long time to prepare. The recipe calls for an active culture and I have been reading Don Quixote, going to art museums and listening to Yo Yo Ma and her son.

Ok, I'll admit I thought CNM's response was pretty funny, but yours is hysterical :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

ColdNoMore 05-31-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Active culture is a great thing.

I've expanded my inner upper-crust tremendously, studying Picasso's...while doing jumping jacks.

fw102807 06-01-2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Too funny! Better not make the Greek yogurt.

tomwed 06-01-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1549304)
Too funny! Better not make the Greek yogurt.

Is that the one with the fruit on the bottom?

fw102807 06-01-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1549308)
Is that the one with the fruit on the bottom?

I do think there may have been a few fruits involved.

NotGolfer 06-01-2018 07:46 AM

I've heard of folks making their own in an Insta-pot. I looked at the recipe and it seems too time/work intensive to get a "good product".