Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Changing double sink to single: Advise? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/changing-double-sink-single-advise-264987/)

Retired and happy 06-04-2018 08:27 AM

Changing double sink to single: Advise?

We have an Ivy designer home with granite in the kitchen. We desperately want to get rid of our double sink and replace it with a single sink. If you have done this, I would appreciate any advice. A recommendation for a contractor would really help. Thank you!

Bonnevie 06-04-2018 08:34 AM

I had granite solutions in Leesburg and was very happy with them. I changed from a doube to a single, but having done so, I kind of regret it. I think the two sink worked better for me. but changing was not problem.

LuvtheVillages 06-04-2018 09:56 AM

If you have granite counters with an undermount sink, it will be difficult to replace it. Consult a contractor.

I recently replaced by stainless steel "drop-in" double sink. I have laminate counters. I put in a sink with a low divider between the two compartments. Now my large pots and pans fit in easily, but I still have some separation with the garbage disposal on the smaller side. I love it. It is a composite material so it doesn't have all the problems of "stainless" steel. I used Mike Scott Plumbing.

justjim 06-04-2018 10:24 AM

My advice would be to revisit/rethink the single vs double sink. Does the change really make sense? It’s a personal decision. If you “must” do it, I would go to my closing documents and see what company did the original work and contact them for a bid price. Whatever you decide I would get three estimates.

Bonnevie 06-04-2018 11:21 AM

granite solutions were great. I got a bisque sink in my bathroom and decided white would be better. it was undermount and one guy did it in about 10 minutes. but that was an identical sink. you'd have to find one that fit your granite cut out.

Sydney 06-05-2018 06:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi we have an Ivy and changed out the double sink ourselves. It only took a couple of hours and our new sink is wonderful. The hardest problem we had was finding a sink that would fit.

tagjr1 06-05-2018 09:26 AM

Nice! But wow, talk about a black hole!

villager 06-05-2018 06:11 PM

Love, love my Blanco brand single sink! I don't regret it for one iota. It is so much more versatile for me. We used Exquisite Designs Kitchens and Baths, 352-203-4812. Very happy with their work.

fw102807 06-05-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villager (Post 1550630)
Love, love my Blanco brand single sink! I don't regret it for one iota. It is so much more versatile for me. We used Exquisite Designs Kitchens and Baths, 352-203-4812. Very happy with their work.

:agree:

But Solid Imaging put ours in

Retired and happy 06-25-2018 05:49 AM

Thank you for the quick reply and the photos. Where did you buy your sink?

gadgetmonster 06-25-2018 07:00 AM

We like our black single sink. One caution. Many times single sinks are deeper. This caused us major problems installing the disposal because the plumbing was lower than usual. Just be sure to address this in advance if it is lower than the old one.

Chatbrat 06-25-2018 08:07 AM

If you are still going to use a disposal stay away from a single sink-if you can't fix a clogged disposal--you don't have a sink

jojo 06-25-2018 09:54 AM

When we replaced our granite I spent hours researching single vs double sinks. I love my double sink - Bianca granite composite. One side is 20.5 inches wide and the side with the disposal is 9.5 inches.

Henryk 06-25-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydney (Post 1550433)
Hi we have an Ivy and changed out the double sink ourselves. It only took a couple of hours and our new sink is wonderful. The hardest problem we had was finding a sink that would fit.

That really looks great. Good job!

Henryk 06-25-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired and happy (Post 1550101)
We have an Ivy designer home with granite in the kitchen. We desperately want to get rid of our double sink and replace it with a single sink. If you have done this, I would appreciate any advice. A recommendation for a contractor would really help. Thank you!

We replaced with a single, too. We love it. I have to admit though, if the divider were low, and if the sink were wide enough, and if the sink were divided into small and large sections, I think I would go with that.

Since you have the granite, I’d think a plumber could do it quite ably.