Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Which Frozen Dinner would you recommend? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/frozen-dinner-would-you-recommend-265154/)

Madelaine Amee 06-06-2018 07:40 AM

Which Frozen Dinner would you recommend?

Once a week I serve a frozen dinner at night instead of cooking. At the moment the only really good frozen meals I have found are Michael Angelo's, and particularly the Eggplant Parm.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good frozen dinner other than Angelo's.

No frozen pizza please.

Thanks

villagetinker 06-06-2018 07:43 AM

We like several of the Stauffers frozen lasagna, we buy the family size and cut in half, cooks in 30 minutes in the microwave. Several of the other stauffer meals are also good for a quick meal.

tomwed 06-06-2018 07:45 AM

Margarita?

Madelaine Amee 06-06-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1550725)
We like several of the Stauffers frozen lasagna, we buy the family size and cut in half, cooks in 30 minutes in the microwave. Several of the other stauffer meals are also good for a quick meal.

If you cut them through the middle when they are frozen, do you keep the original cooking tray and use it again or do you transfer it to a dish and just cover.

I buy the family size Michael Angelo's and cook it in the oven, serve it the first night and then microwave the other half another night. I find that oven cooking really does give you the best results. Do you find a difference?

tomwed 06-06-2018 07:52 AM

There is brand of chicken pot pie that I like. It comes in a yellow and white square box and not frozen in the store.
Someone will remember the name.

It's usually in the area where they sell chicken. The crust is just right and it's good comfort food.

Madelaine Amee 06-06-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1550726)
Margarita?

Tom, what is Margarita, I have not seen that one? Oh, duh, too early in the morning for me to catch on - not nice!!!!!!

manaboutown 06-06-2018 08:03 AM

Trader Joe's chicken pot pie. I keep a few in the freezer. The mix is just right for me. They contain a lot of good quality chicken, peas, carrots and chunks of potato. Nice crust and not too much of it. Creamy sauce, some spices. $3.95.
trader joe's chicken pot pie - Google Search

Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate

graciegirl 06-06-2018 08:12 AM

We like Stouffer's Grandma's Chicken Rice bake, Vegetarian Lasagna and love the side, "Harvest Apples". I always bake in conventional oven.

Here's a link to many of their casseroles;

Grandma's Chicken & Vegetable Rice Bake | Classics Frozen Meals | Stouffer's

CFrance 06-06-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1550734)
Tom, what is Margarita, I have not seen that one? Oh, duh, too early in the morning for me to catch on - not nice!!!!!!

But only the frozen ones, Madeleine!

My husband likes many of the Marie Callender (sp?) individual dinners. They have too many calories for me, but they smell good. I think he particularly likes the Swedish meatballs.

villagetinker 06-06-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1550731)
If you cut them through the middle when they are frozen, do you keep the original cooking tray and use it again or do you transfer it to a dish and just cover.

I buy the family size Michael Angelo's and cook it in the oven, serve it the first night and then microwave the other half another night. I find that oven cooking really does give you the best results. Do you find a difference?

We cook the entire lasagna and cut after cooking. I tried cutting once when frozen, did not work well.

Nucky 06-06-2018 10:39 AM

Encore Salisbury Steak. The search for the perfect meal is over. Here it is.

tomwed 06-06-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1550794)
Encore Salisbury Steak. The search for the perfect meal is over. Here it is.

That does sound good. Does it come with 2 sides or is it just meat and gravy?

tomwed 06-06-2018 11:08 AM

I found the chicken pot pie I could not remember.

Mrs. Budd's all white meat chicken pot pie. It's been awhile but I bought it at Winn Dixie.

[i can't find it locally anywhere.]

photo1902 06-06-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1550784)
We cook the entire lasagna and cut after cooking. I tried cutting once when frozen, did not work well.

I've got a table saw you could borrow :)

John_W 06-06-2018 12:31 PM

Hormel Beef Roast Au Jus we've been buying for at least 10 years. We'll have it on Sunday about once a month. It's not frozen but in the refrigerated section. No knife is needed, it is so tender you just use your fork and the gravy is perfect with a side of Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes. $5.95 at Walmart, $7.95 at Publix. Serves two people easily, we actually have a second smaller meal.

http://www.hormel.com/getattachment/...st-Au-Jus.aspx