Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Volusia, Sarasota, Scambia and Okeechobee... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/volusia-sarasota-scambia-okeechobee-265668/)

Mortal1 06-13-2018 03:05 PM

Volusia, Sarasota, Scambia and Okeechobee...

had great greens up until the last few months. Even after aeration and top dressing there are many areas without grass or grass so thin you almost can't see it. Don't know how they lost them all so quickly, but hope they come back soon. No root system.

Palmetto, Sweetgum and Mangrove had about a 2 month spell in winter where they were better than they ever were. Now...back to bumpy a scarcity of grass and the black fungus with zero root system.

bagboy 06-13-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1552969)
had great greens up until the last few months. Even after aeration and top dressing there are many areas without grass or grass so thin you almost can't see it. Don't know how they lost them all so quickly, but hope they come back soon. No root system.

Palmetto, Sweetgum and Mangrove had about a 2 month spell in winter where they were better than they ever were. Now...back to bumpy a scarcity of grass and the black fungus with zero root system.

We play Bonita Pass, Tarpon Boil, and Redfish Run alot. About the time the bermuda should have been taking over, the greens were getting thin. After aeration, all three were bad, more than the usual condition you would expect. I even mentioned to my wife that if they aren't careful, they are going to lose them for the 2nd time in three years.
Tarpon Boil is now closed. Redfish Run won't be far behind. Bonita Pass isnt bad at all. Its my understanding Golf Management Services hires the course maintenance, "who hired the staff at GMS" " ??? "Where does the buck stop???
I have defended GMS until now, but on golf thevillages it's claimed that Tarpon is closed due to high water. Truth be told there were big mistakes during overseeding. I think we are being lied to and that really irritates me.

justjim 06-13-2018 06:04 PM

At most golf venues, “heads” would roll over such results. Lots of speculation by “Monday morning quarterbacks” but Little disclosure to residents who pay the bills for the executive courses in The Villages.

sheena0904 06-13-2018 07:28 PM

If complaining about golf courses was my biggest concern, I would love my life a lot more than you folks seem to like your own.

ColdNoMore 06-13-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1553000)
At most golf venues, “heads” would roll over such results. Lots of speculation by “Monday morning quarterbacks” but Little disclosure to residents who pay the bills for the executive courses in The Villages.

Yep.

"Free golf for life"...is the mantra.

I don't recall ever hearing..."free golf for life, on well-maintained courses." :shrug:

Mortal1 06-14-2018 06:55 AM

It's not my biggest concern...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena0904 (Post 1553010)
If complaining about golf courses was my biggest concern, I would love my life a lot more than you folks seem to like your own.

and not being ignorant I realize there are things more important than golf. Yet it is one of the largest attractions here and if there are issues then there is no harm in discussing it.

Judging others based on what is said on line is a poor way to do so. You have no idea whether or not I love my life.

Bay Kid 06-15-2018 05:37 AM

Hopefully they will be better by the fall.

Bogie Shooter 06-15-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1553046)
and not being ignorant I realize there are things more important than golf. Yet it is one of the largest attractions here and if there are issues then there is no harm in discussing it.

Judging others based on what is said on line is a poor way to do so. You have no idea whether or not I love my life.

Discussing here accomplishes little, why not give Eric a call. He most likely has the answers to your complaints.

Executive Golf Maintenance Eric Van Gorder 352-753-3396

DonH57 06-15-2018 08:16 AM

What a joke this place is getting to be.

Cedwards38 06-15-2018 08:22 AM

BTW, it's Escambia.

Bogie Shooter 06-16-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1553326)
What a joke this place is getting to be.

Do you mean TOTV or TV?

LittleDog 06-16-2018 02:39 PM

We played Okeechobee today and I thought the greens were quite good except for a couple of small bare spots on 2 greens.

John

rjn5656 06-17-2018 07:23 AM

I have contacted Eric and he had replied to my concerns in the past.