Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Repairing Ball Marks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/repairing-ball-marks-265728/)

Mleeja 06-14-2018 01:00 PM

Repairing Ball Marks

We have not had this rant in awhile, so it might as well be me to make it

I played De La Vista today and the greens had been sanded. They were in terrible shape. But this does not mean you don’t need to repair your ball marks! I bet I repaired four or five ball marks per green in addition to mine.

Come on folks, let’s all help take care of our courses!

Fredman 06-14-2018 01:05 PM

You mean the snowbirds are back

Two Bills 06-14-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1553156)
You mean the snowbirds are back

Pitchmark repairs, sand trap raking are like stop signs, for the other people, not the special ones.
However. Most remarks about poor course conditions, etiquete etc. always seem to be when the courses are the sole posesion of the all year rounders.

Bay Kid 06-15-2018 05:29 AM

Thank you

DonH57 06-15-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1553158)
Pitchmark repairs, sand trap raking are like stop signs, for the other people, not the special ones.
However. Most remarks about poor course conditions, etiquete etc. always seem to be when the courses are the sole posesion of the all year rounders.

On the brighter side I haven't been hit upon since they've left so far.:laugh::duck:

CFrance 06-15-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1553313)
On the brighter side I haven't been hit upon since they've left so far.:laugh::duck:

Aww, I bet you miss them!:jester:

NotGolfer 06-15-2018 10:40 AM

There are a fair amount of golfers who didn't golf til they moved here and don't know the rules of golfing. In that case many don't like to be "told" neither.

John_W 06-16-2018 09:50 AM

After the rain yesterday, my threesome teed off at Kilimanjaro to Kenya at 1pm. We finished at 5:30, we were behind a foursome that had no clue how to move along. When one lost a ball, all 4 looked, the two carts were always going from one side of the fairway to the other, sometimes even coming back up the fairway. We complained to the marshall while waiting about ten minutes on the 8th hole, he said just what the previous poster said, many of these people didn't start play until they moved here and had never heard the phrase 'let faster players play through'. I know at 'Good Golf School' it was never mentioned. Since we were one hole from the turn, the marshall said he would call the starter at Kenya, well when we got to the 10th hole, the foursome was on the tee hitting. They even had the handicap accommodation parking both of their carts next to the greens.

I carry two of these in my pocket, yesterday with the soft greens I repaired at least 30 pitch marks.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/fe...dfafd3317b.jpg

ColdNoMore 06-16-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1553615)
After the rain yesterday, my threesome teed off at Kilimanjaro to Kenya at 1pm. We finished at 5:30, we were behind a foursome that had no clue how to move along. When one lost a ball, all 4 looked, the two carts were always going from one side of the fairway to the other, sometimes even coming back up the fairway. We complained to the marshall while waiting about ten minutes on the 8th hole, he said just what the previous poster said, many of these people didn't start play until they moved here and had never heard the phrase 'let faster players play through'. I know at 'Good Golf School' it was never mentioned. Since we were one hole from the turn, the marshall said he would call the starter at Kenya, well when we got to the 10th hole, the foursome was on the tee hitting. They even had the handicap accommodation parking both of their carts next to the greens.

I carry two of these in my pocket, yesterday with the soft greens I repaired at least 30 pitch marks.

While I share your frustration toward those who don't bother to repair their pitchmarks...I don't agree with using the tool you're showing.

The problem with that particular design, is that it encourages a player to insert the prongs and then 'push down' on it to 'lift up' the grass using the red-dot portion as a 'fulcrum'...which can do more damage than doing nothing. :shrug:

Which is the primary reason we see so many round, old brown pitchmarks...that are barren of grass.

How to repair a pitchmark - St Andrews Links Blog

http://blog.standrews.com/wp-content...rk-diagram.jpg

John_W 06-17-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1553618)
While I share your frustration toward those who don't bother to repair their pitchmarks...I don't agree with using the tool you're showing.

You see the glass is half empty rather than the glass is half full. What you could of said was, if you're using the Scotty Cameron repair tool, 'turn it around backwards, then use it'. Works great for me, easy to find in my pocket, no sharp points, the prongs are about the size of a tee, but you've got two.

CWGUY 06-17-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1553854)
You see the glass is half empty rather than the glass is half full. What you could of said was, if you're using the Scotty Cameron repair tool, 'turn it around backwards, then use it'. Works great for me, easy to find in my pocket, no sharp points, the prongs are about the size of a tee, but you've got two.

:thumbup:

Mleeja 06-17-2018 10:00 AM

Just fix them!

ColdNoMore 06-17-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1553854)

You're dead wrong, as I just like to see things done properly...to take care of the course. :ho:

And almost everyone I've watched that uses that type of divot tool, uses it improperly...thereby making the pitchmarks worse. :shrug:

ColdNoMore 06-17-2018 02:28 PM

Ball Mark Repair Tools - Golf Talk - The Sand Trap .com

Quote:

iacas
-LSW® Co-Author • 5SK® Director of Instructor Development

Those are bad tools. And you shouldn't need "leverage." Leverage implies that you're popping up the divot, which is NOT the way to fix a divot.

It astounds me that Scotty Cameron of all people continues to make divot tools that actually harm putting surfaces more than they help them.

rjn5656 06-18-2018 08:50 AM

Remember people we own the golf courses. Let's take care of what we own. Fix the ball marks. Rake the traps. If you can't due to a disability of some sort, ask your playing partners. I bet they would help you out.