Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   How to Measure Vibration (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/how-measure-vibration-265931/)

viaminveniam 06-17-2018 09:07 AM

How to Measure Vibration

Forgive me if this is not in the most appropriate forum/thread...

Hello Fellow Villagers:

I am hoping to find someone in our vast Community that knows about accurately/scientifically:

1) Measuring vibration.

I have several questions and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak further on this subject.

Thank you :),

Nick
Village of Pennecamp

Kenswing 06-17-2018 09:28 AM

It usually involves an accelerometer and some test equipment. What are you trying to measure the vibration of?

champion6 06-17-2018 10:07 AM

Again, we don't know what you want to measure the vibration of.

How about using a smartphone? I found dozens of apps in the Google Play Store. Maybe one will work for you. Search for "measure vibration" I suppose similar apps are available for an Apple smartphone.

villagetinker 06-17-2018 11:34 AM

As noted above, there are many ways to measure vibrations depending on your application. Microphones can work in some cases, piezo electric pickups can work also. Ultrasonic transducers, microwave, and optical transducers will also measure vibrations. So without know what type of vibration(s) you are trying to measure a specific answer is very difficult.

ColdNoMore 06-17-2018 02:47 PM

6 Ways to Measure Vibration

:ho:

viaminveniam 06-21-2018 02:29 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping to find a means (cheaply & accurately) of gathering and presenting quantifiable data (power output, vibration variances, sound output, ranges, etc.) on a variety of hand power tools (battery & AC) within a specific industry.

villagetinker 06-21-2018 02:49 PM

I sent you a PM, also I forgot to mention solid state (IC based) 3 axis monitors, they use these in cell phones, pedometers, air bag crash sensors, and similar devices.

Topspinmo 09-21-2018 05:04 PM

I use to measure vibration on jet engines with jet cal analyzers Depending on which section of the engine (fan inlet, diffuser section, or the turbine section) ranges from 2.5 mils to 4.5 mils. Limits. A mil is .001 thousands of movement. The analyzer had frequencies dials to dial certain rotating parts which each vibrated at different frequency.

This was common problem on older cable throttle controlled aircraft the vibration could be felt through throttles. On newer fly by wire models have and others have vibration monitors in the cockpit. Those monitors were very expense. I’m sure that some what close to same analyzers available with improvements form my day.

Daddymac 09-21-2018 05:16 PM

Check the Switch, adjust as needed 🙉🙈🙊

graciegirl 09-21-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1583499)
I use to measure vibration on jet engines with jet cal analyzers Depending on which section of the engine (fan inlet, diffuser section, or the turbine section) ranges from 2.5 mils to 4.5 mils. Limits. A mil is .001 thousands of movement. The analyzer had frequencies dials to dial certain rotating parts which each vibrated at different frequency.

This was common problem on older cable throttle controlled aircraft the vibration could be felt through throttles. On newer fly by wire models have and others have vibration monitors in the cockpit. Those monitors were very expense. I’m sure that some what close to same analyzers available with improvements form my day.

You are one smart person Topspinmo…. And I heard you are also great at Tennis???

Chi-Town 09-21-2018 06:41 PM

Perhaps a vibrator of some sorts may be needed for demonstration purposes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk