Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Pros teaching (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/pros-teaching-266946/)

Rsenholzi 07-02-2018 08:10 AM

Pros teaching

What is wrong with the pros that are teaching women to play in the villages? I played with beginners this past week and they were teeing the ball up in the middle of the fairway. When I asked what they were doing they told me their instructor told them if it made the game more fun and was easier they should do it. I thought they made a mistake in what they said but spoke to another person who told them their instructor told them the same thing. Come on, be real instructors out there. Teach women to play by the rules , not what feels good. It is embarrassing to be treated to different rules because it “feels good”. They will never learn this way and it holds up the game! Women are capable of playing the right way!

ColdNoMore 07-02-2018 08:17 AM

For ALL beginners (men/women/children)...I personally don't see anything wrong with it at all.

In fact, being able to hit it straighter and not always going off in the rough/woods when one is just starting...can more than make up for the minuscule amount of time it takes to tee it up.

Just like the "Tee It Forward" initiative, things that make the game more fun can only grow the game I love...and that has seen a slow and steady decline in recent years. :shrug:

To me, that's like saying the 'Friendly Tees' should be eliminated...because they don't have a course/slope rating. :oops:

tomwed 07-02-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsenholzi (Post 1558362)
What is wrong with the pros that are teaching women to play in the villages? I played with beginners this past week and they were teeing the ball up in the middle of the fairway. When I asked what they were doing they told me their instructor told them if it made the game more fun and was easier they should do it. I thought they made a mistake in what they said but spoke to another person who told them their instructor told them the same thing. Come on, be real instructors out there. Teach women to play by the rules , not what feels good. It is embarrassing to be treated to different rules because it “feels good”. They will never learn this way and it holds up the game! Women are capable of playing the right way!

I respectively disagree.

IMHO everyone has 13 minutes to play the hole. That's the only "rule" [that's more a cutesy] that matters.

I think when you are teaching children it is important to get them to play by the rules as quickly as reasonably possible. In baseball they start with tee ball. At our age, make it fun. After all if you are not going to count all your strokes, not hit provisionals, walk it back when it's lost or play everything down why pretend you play the same game as the pros.

just an opinion

Redstag 07-02-2018 09:31 AM

The point is to have fun. Tee it up if you like. Once they get proficient at that they can move on the playing it as it lies. Also, it will probably save stokes and make play faster for everyone involved.

ColdNoMore 07-02-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redstag (Post 1558400)
The point is to have fun. Tee it up if you like. Once they get proficient at that they can move on the playing it as it lies. Also, it will probably save stokes and make play faster for everyone involved.

EXACTLY!! :thumbup:

DonH57 07-02-2018 09:52 AM

I see nothing wrong with it a long as it's understood by the beginner what play is by the rules or not and provides the beginner to practice fundamentals and have fun. These are recreational golfers, not tour pros who's play depends on making a mortgage payment. I'd rather they tee it in the fairway to speed play rather than ripping real estate up the fairway or making that little line behind the ball in a bunker. The villages recently put out a pamphlet on ways to speed play for beginners at the starter shacks. I've heard some pretty snide remarks about those as well. Relax and have fun people.

tomwed 07-02-2018 09:57 AM

What other game/activity can you play with beginners and pros and all be competitive since you are playing against the course, the clock and yourself? My most memorable rounds were playing with my dad and 2 sons.

JoMar 07-02-2018 04:14 PM

How many golfers here play by the rules.....play the ball as it lies, no gimmies, no mulligans etc. The rule should be "get out and enjoy the game" and as long as you aren't slowing play or not raking your traps or not fixing ball marks play what is fun to you.

kcrazorbackfan 07-02-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Hey, newbie, it's all about speeding up the pace of play. Have you ever gotten behind a group that cannot get the ball off the ground and your round turned into a 5 1/2 hr marathon? Didn't think so.

I don't care if they tee it up on every shot as long as they keep it moving forward. Those people you see doing that ARE NOT COMPETITION GOLFERS, they're doing it for the fun.

Fredman 07-02-2018 08:28 PM

Bunch of nonsense. Teeing up in fairway slows play. That’s all we need more slow play.

dnobles 07-02-2018 08:48 PM

My instructor told me the same thing If you feel more comfortable tee up. I did on long holes. Now I no longer do but I needed to in the beginning.

ColdNoMore 07-02-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1558612)
Bunch of nonsense. Teeing up in fairway slows play. That’s all we need more slow play.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

How many times have you seen a beginner trying to hit it off of the ground and advancing it 10 yards at a time...or hitting it sideways?

It takes about 10 seconds to set a tee/ball in the fairway, where they at least have a chance of hitting it 50-100 yards.

Much faster play that way IMHO. :shrug:

Mortal1 07-03-2018 03:58 AM

If you've been watching...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1558612)

closely most people that play here have a hard time getting that little round monster airborne. That usually means a lot more shots till they get to the green and since using double par as the pick up the ball and get to the next hole is hopefully used....that actually speeds up play. No nonsense about it. Just common sense.

As to the original post....how old is the average age here? Well most people here will never gain the consistency to enjoy hitting it off the ground and it's not "fun" to keep hitting those worm burners. So folks tee it up everywhere is a good thing. It isn't necessary unless it's a tournament or a usage event.

So lighten up folks or you can play a round with me and I'm quite sure I can find a penalty on most every hole to nail you(unless you actually play by all the rules...ie: don't tee it up ahead of the markers, don't ground your club in the sand, NO mulligans, every attempt to hit the ball is a stroke, marking the ball correctly, moving the ball on the green correctly to get it out of anothers line and penalty strokes). I could go on and on. Have fun. Be respectful and be courteous(rake your bunker properly, fill you divots, fix your pitch marks on the green, don't talk when others are hitting, don't walk in anothers line when on the green, first in tends the pin, don't drag your feet on the green, carts 15' away from tees greens and bunkers, turn off your carts bleeping radio.....)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 07-03-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

I think that you're confusing people that want to learn to play golf with people that want to have a nice day whacking a ball around a field and having lunch with their friends afterward.

Why should people who are going out to have fun, get some exercise and enjoy socializing with their friends have to be bothered with the rules of the game? Are they also supposed to hole every putt and abide by the out-of-bounds and lost ball rule? Would you encourage them not to pick up after double par?

I'd let them do whatever that want as long as they keep up a proper pace and do their part to maintain the course. It doesn't matter to me as long as I'm not playing against them for anything.

dillywho 07-03-2018 09:56 AM

Seems like whatever makes it fun for everyone should work out much better. I know of no one here who is playing for a Green Jacket on a daily basis. Tournament play should be by the rules, I agree. Even the pros can grant some latitude there, as well though, depending on conditions and type of tournament. As for the time it takes to tee it up, it is minimal. That takes much less time than someone taking 3-4+ practice swings, then changing clubs and doing the same routine. Not nearly as long as plumb-bobbing every putt from every angle, either.