Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Nest Thermostat wiring (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/nest-thermostat-wiring-266961/)

marksaint 07-02-2018 09:33 AM

Nest Thermostat wiring

Anyone wire up one of these. Replacing Villages 6 wire Honey well unit 1 zone

rjm1cc 07-02-2018 10:46 AM

No, but you can look up the manuals for both thermostats on the internet and that should help you identify what each color of wire means. Also make sure the voltage requirements are the same.

retiredguy123 07-02-2018 12:00 PM

Before you disconnect any wires from the old thermostat, make sure you take a photo of the existing wires and where they are connected.

tomwed 07-02-2018 12:43 PM

If you have plenty of lead wire you could cut the wire with leaving an inch of insulation on. Did you look for someone on Youtube for a demonstration?

Wiotte 07-02-2018 12:45 PM

Kill the power to the air handler before any work is done or you’ll blow the control transformer ! 40VA transformers don’t have resettable overloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LyndaS 07-02-2018 12:49 PM

Nest thermostat

2 Attachment(s)
I installed a nest thermostat about a year and a half ago. I poured over all the videos and read and re-read the instructions. I originally had a Robert Shaw thermostat. Here is a pic of the wiring of the original thermostat and then the Nest that I replaced it with.

Wiotte 07-02-2018 12:55 PM

Nest Thermostat wiring

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndaS (Post 1558499)
I installed a nest thermostat about a year and a half ago. I poured over all the videos and read and re-read the instructions. I originally had a Robert Shaw thermostat. Here is a pic of the wiring of the original thermostat and then the Nest that I replaced it with.

It can get tricky here with the O/B terminal. This will energize or de energize your reversing valve if you have a heat pump. You need to know what the sequence is and hope the thermostat logic can be switched to accommodate your system.
I also see no provision for emergency heat on the Nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marksaint 07-02-2018 02:11 PM

Thanks all, got the info needed. Manual not that clear when heat pumps involved. most wires self explanatory but I've seen three different set ups for 6 wire heat pumps... supposedly unit will tell you if everything is wired correctly.

JoMar 07-02-2018 04:07 PM

We had Munns doe the installation....they didn't sell it but they agreed to install it.....that was 2 years ago, not sure if they still do that.

rjm1cc 07-02-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1558475)
Before you disconnect any wires from the old thermostat, make sure you take a photo of the existing wires and where they are connected.

Very good suggestion.