Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Veterans regarding their purchase of a new car rebate (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/veterans-regarding-their-purchase-new-car-rebate-267069/)

jflynn1 07-03-2018 04:28 PM

Veterans regarding their purchase of a new car rebate

I am seeking input from veterans regarding their purchase of a new car recently to determine how the transaction was handled and if you received the discount.
A Local Automobile dealership is and has advertised that they give “Veterans a 1,000.00 rebate on the purchase of their brand of New Automobile. My question: How many Veterans were aware of this rebate, were you informed of the availability of the rebate, and were you able to take advantage of the rebate when you purchased your new car.? I have purposely not named the Auto dealer advertising the REBATE however. if you would like to share your experience it would be helpful. if you would ;like to discuss please call me at 413 537 7823
If the dealer was aware of the veterans status and did not inform the buyer of the availability of a veterans discount as advertised and it was brought to the attention of the dealer by the buyer after the sale is the veteran entitled to the discount as advertised. ?

graciegirl 07-03-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflynn1 (Post 1558912)
I am seeking input from veterans regarding their purchase of a new car recently to determine how the transaction was handled and if you received the discount.
A Local Automobile dealership is and has advertised that they give “Veterans a 1,000.00 rebate on the purchase of their brand of New Automobile. My question: How many Veterans were aware of this rebate, were you informed of the availability of the rebate, and were you able to take advantage of the rebate when you purchased your new car.? I have purposely not named the Auto dealer advertising the REBATE however. if you would like to share your experience it would be helpful. if you would ;ile to discuss please call me at 413 537 7823

?????

jflynn1 07-03-2018 04:37 PM

Veterans Rebate on Purchase on New Car.

I am seeking input from veterans regarding their purchase of a new car recently to determine how the transaction was handled:.

A Local Automobile dealership is and has advertised they give “Veterans a 1,000.00 rebate on the purchase of their brand of New Automobile.

My question: How many Veterans were aware of this rebate, were you informed of the availability of the rebate, and were you able to take advantage of the rebate when you purchased your new car.?

I have purposely not named the Auto dealer advertising the REBATE however. if you would like to share your experience it would be helpful. If you would like to discuss please feel free
to contact me; 413 537823

billybye 07-03-2018 05:06 PM

I believe it is deducted from cost of car. You don't have to do anything but prove you are a veteran. Most rebates come from manufacturer. Mine did when I bought a KIA they reduced price of car. It's all part of the negotiation.

jflynn1 07-03-2018 09:23 PM

Good to hear that they let you know. It was not a Kia Dealer, You deserved the rebate. Concerned others were never told by this dealer in question and never received the rebate.

graciegirl 07-04-2018 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflynn1 (Post 1559019)
Good to hear that they let you know. It was not a Kia Dealer, You deserved the rebate. Concerned others were never told by this dealer in question and never received the rebate.

Is this the one?

Military Appreciation - Greenway Ford

retiredguy123 07-04-2018 05:55 AM

I believe that bona fide rebates are offered by the manufacturer and displayed on their website and on KBB.com and Edmunds.com. When shopping for a new car, you should always check for the manufacturer's rebates available on these sites. Some dealers will not always tell you about the rebates, but will always apply them to the sales contract because they receive the money from the manufacturer. So, if you don't know that a rebate is available, an unscrupulous dealer can trick you into thinking you are getting a better deal than you actually are when comparing the price to the MSRP. A rebate is, in effect, a reduction in the published MSRP. So, if the MSRP is $30,000 with a $3,000 rebate, and you pay $25,000, you are actually only getting a $2,000 reduction in the effective MSRP. Knowledge is power.

Challenger 07-04-2018 06:12 AM

IMHO- Car dealers sell cars for the highest profit margin possible on a specific transaction(just like other retailers). Special pricing (veterans and others ) are simply sales gimmicks to create interest and play on the ignorance of the buyer. Do your research , comparison shop and buy from the dealer who gives you the lowest total "out of pocket price". They are not being patriotic , nor are they creating a special price to say thanks to the community. Trade in prices are usually a total sham, to obscure the real price of the new car. Caveat Emptor .

You wouldn't know it, but some of my best friends over many years have been car dealers!!!!

retiredguy123 07-04-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1559059)
IMHO- Car dealers sell cars for the highest profit margin possible on a specific transaction(just like other retailers). Special pricing (veterans and others ) are simply sales gimmicks to create interest and play on the ignorance of the buyer. Do your research , comparison shop and buy from the dealer who gives you the lowest total "out of pocket price". They are not being patriotic , nor are they creating a special price to say thanks to the community. Trade in prices are usually a total sham, to obscure the real price of the new car. Caveat Emptor .

You wouldn't know ir, but some of my best friends over many years have been car dealers!!!!

I agree. However, if the manufacturer offers a $1,000 bona fide rebate for veterans only, the dealer will receive an extra $1,000 from the manufacturer when he sells a car to a veteran. So, if you are a veteran, you should be able to negotiate a lower out-the-door price than a non-veteran.

jflynn1 07-04-2018 06:57 AM

I have a issue need advise on. Purchased a new car, from a local dealer, i am a veteran, dealer was aware i am a veteran because the van has to be modified to for a military handicap. i was never told about a veterans discount of $1,000.00 that was available. When i became aware of the discount i asked for it. Their explanation, it was included in the discount you were given from MSRP. Is that good enough ? Shouldn't I have been notified of the availability of the veterans discount. When I requested same I explained if granted the military militara discount advertised I would have donated it with the dealer to a local veterans organization .

jflynn1 07-04-2018 07:02 AM

I would think that id f the auto dealer is promoting the $1,000.00 discount for veterans on the purchase of a new car they would ask, are you or were you a veteran? Anf d the maybe even thank them for heir service.

graciegirl 07-04-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflynn1 (Post 1559077)
I would think that id f the auto dealer is promoting the $1,000.00 discount for veterans on the purchase of a new car they would ask, are you or were you a veteran? Anf d the maybe even thank them for heir service.

Military Appreciation - Greenway Ford

Thank you Mr. J.Flynn for your service to our country. Our family honors you today and every day.

jflynn1 07-04-2018 07:39 AM

As a veteran did You get your $1,000.00 rebate on the purchase of new car as advertis

Recently purchased a new car. I am a veteran. Dealer was aware I am a veteran because car needed to be modified for military handicap. Car also has disabled veteran plates. Negotiated purchase price. Dealer NEVER mentioned veteran discount.
After sale saw add in the showroom, ie: daily sun, that dealer provides $1,000.00 REBATE on all new (type of car) to veterans.
When asked about the rebate dealer stated , it was included in the discount. They would be willing to take the car back rather than give the Military discount in addition TO THE DISCOUNTS NEGOTIATED. The availability of a veterans discount was never disclosed.? Am I being too grumpy about this and did YOU get YOUR veterans discount. ?

blueash 07-04-2018 08:10 AM

Look at your itemized bill of sale. It should show a price for the car, then a bunch of other add on items like taxes, title, transportation.... But there is a line for items such as discount or down payment. The 1000 should appear there along with other items like manufacturer's incentive.

There is no cost to the dealer in the 1000 military discount. It is being totally repaid to them by the manufacturer so if they did give it to you I would wonder if they can show you a record of having submitted the information on your sale to the corporate office? I recently bought a car and the dealership asked me more than once if I were a vet in the price negotiation.

Now if they really offered to totally take the car back and refund your money which you seem to suggest they would, you have that option. Then buy the same car perhaps from a different dealer and be sure you get the discount. I can't believe you'd get all you paid however as it included lots of things like issuing a title, sales taxes, new or transferring plates etc that may not be recovered in taking the car back.

alwann 07-04-2018 08:11 AM

I didn't know, but when I bought a new car in April, the salesman asked if I was a vet. Saying yes, he didn't ask for documentation and simply knocked $1,000 off the price. However, I'm sure anyone who negotiates can get at least that much off of the first price quoted, vet or not.