Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Permitted homes grow to 49,339 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/permitted-homes-grow-49-339-a-267096/)

Northerner52 07-03-2018 08:06 PM

Permitted homes grow to 49,339

https://**************.com/village-o...mber-of-homes/

A proposed addition to the massive Village of Southern Oaks would nearly double the number of permitted homes and increase the land area by a third.

The addition would add 5,664 acres to the project’s land area and 22,839 permitted homes.

It would bring the number of permitted homes to 49,339, up from 26,500. Non-residential uses would rise to 11.2 million square feet and government or office uses to 1.4 million square feet. Currently, The Villages has about 60,000 homes, not including the Village of Fenney.

Higher density, including condominiums and apartments, also is allowed in the Villages of Southern Oaks under changes made recently by the Wildwood City Commission.

The number of permitted homes may be higher than actual construction. Villages officials have said they would built up to 17,000 homes on the existing Villages of Southern Oaks property.

At a meeting Tuesday of the Wildwood Planning and Zoning Board, Special Magistrate Grant Watson recommended that the city commission approve the addition. The commission may vote on it later this month.

The yellow areas shows the proposed addition to the Villages of Southern Oaks.
The land is in two sections. One parcel is at the southeast corner of U.S. 301 and the Florida Turnpike, extending east along the turnpike and south about a mile along U.S. 301, nearly to Northeast 41st Lane.

The other parcel is closer to the Village of Fenney, between the Florida Turnpike and County Road 501 and extending south to both sides of County Road 470. The second parcel is south and east of the current Villages of Southern Oaks development.

The property includes 873 acres of wetlands and 6.5 acres of surface water. It also is a likely home for protected wildlife such as the gopher tortoise, burrowing owl, southeastern American kestrel, Florida sandhill crane and Sherman’s fox squirrel.

Villages developers have pledged to work with the Southwest Florida Water Management District and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to protect the wetlands and wildlife or mitigate the impact.

The development is expected to have a substantial effect on public utilities such as water and sewer services. A traffic study by the developer indicated the effect would be minimal due to a planned network of internal roadways.

Commercial and institutional development may increase jobs, according to a report by Wildwood development and planning director Melanie Peavy.

Although the proposed project would require zoning changes on most of the land from agriculture to age-restricted development, the report said it would not be considered urban sprawl because it would have an energy efficient land-use pattern.

Northerner52 07-03-2018 08:08 PM

Those 10,000-a-day boomers retiring need someplace to live!

tomwed 07-03-2018 08:49 PM

[sorry if you smartphoners can't see it]

Goldwingnut 07-03-2018 08:51 PM

No surprise here, this is just part of the long term planning for the Villages. And they are still holding another 10,000 acres that hasn’t proposed for development yet.

Just think, this is only a very small portion of the continuous growth here in Florida. But, this is some of the best planned communities in the country.

Schaumburger 07-04-2018 05:28 AM

49,000 possible more homes. Let's say 1.25 residents per home, as some homes will be occupied by single homeowners. 49,000 x 1.25 = 61,250 possible new residents.

That is like taking the population of my hometown of Dubuque, IA, add another 2,000 people and attaching it to The Villages. Wow.

vintageogauge 07-04-2018 06:27 AM

This should bring a lot of big retailers down here over the next few years and beyond.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 07-04-2018 06:33 AM

When I moved here six years ago I was told that there were 60,000 homes. There was nothing on Morse south of Pinellas Place. Brownwood was still being developed so there was little on Buena Vista south of 466A.

How is it with all that development, there are still only 60,000 homes?

champion6 07-04-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1559067)
When I moved here six years ago I was told that there were 60,000 homes. There was nothing on Morse south of Pinellas Place. Brownwood was still being developed so there was little on Buena Vista south of 466A.

How is it with all that development, there are still only 60,000 homes?

My opinion is that six years ago, either 1) They lied to you, or 2) They said "will be" and you remember "were," or 3) They said 60,000 residents, which was close, but a slight understatement six years ago.

Anyway ... it's time to update your numbers - along with all the rest of us, too.

vintageogauge 07-04-2018 08:34 AM

I can't get the link to open, anyone else having that problem?

champion6 07-04-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1559112)
I can't get the link to open, anyone else having that problem?

Absolutely. It's a link to the online news site which is blocked from TOTV.

Two Bills 07-04-2018 09:26 AM

My wife and I first came to TV in 2000. and have seen so much growth.
We are sure the new buyers will love the place as much as we have, but the one thing we are sure of, is, we have had the best years.

Topspinmo 07-04-2018 09:32 AM

I could give a ____ as long as they keep building south. Looks like the property backs to spitting distance from the prison.

vintageogauge 07-04-2018 09:45 AM

Here comes that "Scary Prison" talk again, when will they realize that no one cares that the prison is there. It makes for a great conversation subject, especially with Whitey being in the neighborhood. Glad to see them adding more homes which means more amenities, more shopping, more golf courses, more of everything. I'm really interested in finding out what will be in the parcel between 301 and the Turnpike, and even more interested in finding out what will be on the land they own in Coleman on both sides of 301. Coleman could be a hot spot for small retail businesses, the new decorator store is doing very well over there, hoping they'll open a good independent pizza shop.

Goldwingnut 07-04-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a 65 acre plot of land in Coleman that they've (the developer) set aside for "industrial" development. It's too early to know what exactly will go in there but they started the permitting process on it so they obviously have a plan in the works for it.

vintageogauge 07-04-2018 12:44 PM

Interesting. I assumed it would not be residential due to the track being along side of it thinking possibly retail but did not figure on industrial. They have another fairly large parcel between 301 and the two existing golf courses. They just show it as "future development"