Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Retirement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/retirement-267507/)

TOMCAT 07-09-2018 07:00 PM

Retirement

I had posted this tread almost a year ago and want to give everyone who was kind enough to respond back to me an update on how I am feeling. My feeling of being uphappy about retirement is gone. I do not want to go back there anymore. Hopefully we will be making the move to the Villages soon. It takes time for me to adjust from changes. Thanks to those who were concerned.

dewilson58 07-09-2018 07:03 PM

Congrats.

Some transition immediately, some are slower, some "never" transition.

TV is beautiful and it's waiting for you.

:highfive:

simpkinp 07-09-2018 07:53 PM

Retirement is one of the major stressors in life. Your identity is tied to your profession and suddenly you are not that person anymore. After the separation anxiety has lessened and the shock of loss of that big paycheck, you need to find a new identity. Here in The Villages, it is really quite simple. There are many things to peak your interest. Don’t be reluctant to try new things, and also to give up the ones that give you self satisfaction. You will be happy here if you want to be.

Polar Bear 07-09-2018 07:55 PM

Congrats. IMHO, retirement is one of the biggest adjustments in life.

It may not be bigger or more important in general than getting married or having children, but I think it's a bigger lifestyle change and as a result harder to adapt to. I know it took me a while and I'd be shocked it that wasn't true for the majority of retirees. The end result is worth the difficulties of adjustment though!! Look forward to you joining us here in TV! :)

eweissenbach 07-09-2018 08:58 PM

I can relate, it took me three hours to adjust.

tophcfa 07-09-2018 09:04 PM

I remember your original thread about a year ago. Glad to learn your retirement is working out. Congratulations. My only advise is to do all you can as soon as you can, there is sooooo much to do and our biggest obstacle is that time is finite. Enjoy : )

ColdNoMore 07-09-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMCAT (Post 1560893)
I had posted this tread almost a year ago and want to give everyone who was kind enough to respond back to me an update on how I am feeling. My feeling of being uphappy about retirement is gone. I do not want to go back there anymore. Hopefully we will be making the move to the Villages soon. It takes time for me to adjust from changes. Thanks to those who were concerned.

Retirement and losing an identity that you've had for so long, can be a lot of work...for some of us.

Just throw yourself into it as if it were a major, company changing project...at your old employer (or business).

You may find that just identifying, planning, scheduling and participating in all of the opportunities here (spreadsheets are fun)...is a lot like those old important projects.

Just realize that the beneficiary and all of the success & rewards this time...is for yourself.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Schaumburger 07-10-2018 04:40 AM

Hi Tomcat,

Glad you are doing better. When I was downsized from my previous long-time employer in 2015, it took me about a year to come to grips with the fact that part of my work life was over, so I can relate to what you went through.

Keep us updated on your search for a home in TV. I live vicariously through other people's search processes. :)

Sgroemm 07-10-2018 05:56 AM

So happy to hear you are on a positive path for happiness and contentment. Enjoy!

Bay Kid 07-10-2018 07:00 AM

The beauty of retirement is now when I'm asked what I am doing today I reply, whatever I want to do! Enjoy

TOMCAT 07-10-2018 07:01 AM

Thanks. I will keep you posted on our steps when we begin the path to The Villages.