Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Would you do it again? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/would-you-do-again-267954/)

justanormalgirl 07-16-2018 05:29 PM

Would you do it again?

I have a question for those of you who are in TV part time. We are still looking at TV (taking longer than we planned :sigh: ) but can't decide if we want to buy or rent.

If you had it to do again would you go to the expense and responsibility of a purchase or just rent for a few months of the year?

asianthree 07-16-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanormalgirl (Post 1562998)
I have a question for those of you who are in TV part time. We are still looking at TV (taking longer than we planned :sigh: ) but can't decide if we want to buy or rent.

If you had it to do again would you go to the expense and responsibility of a purchase or just rent for a few months of the year?

Depends on you. Do you feel comfortable owning two homes. We rented 3 times before we bought, in TV. It was more about what size home, (Garage) we could live in. We still have our up north home, and in homes in TV. At first we came couple months a year, now one of us is here all but the summer months

Jensor17 07-16-2018 05:53 PM

Rent first. Not buy. This house has laundry in bot garage, 100’away from my bedroom

billethkid 07-16-2018 06:09 PM

I would buy again in a heart beat.
What I would do differently? I would buy three or four more!!!!

Barefoot 07-16-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanormalgirl (Post 1562998)
I have a question for those of you who are in TV part time. We are still looking at TV (taking longer than we planned. but can't decide if we want to buy or rent. If you had it to do again would you go to the expense and responsibility of a purchase or just rent for a few months of the year?

As a seasonal resident, IMHO, the only way you feel part of a neighborhood is to buy.

Jayhawk 07-16-2018 06:39 PM

Buy, Mortimer, Buy!

tagjr1 07-16-2018 08:26 PM

Have You taken advantage of the other get acquainted packages of other retirement communities? If not, You should!

B-flat 07-16-2018 08:53 PM

We rented this past winter for 2 months and were going to rent for 3 months in 2019. We crunched some numbers and for us it was a wiser decision to buy versus seeing $12000 in rent money disappearing after 3 months. Oh yea then there’s the 1000 cost of rental of a golf cart for 3 months.

Bay Kid 07-17-2018 05:38 AM

I bought 5 years ago and would do it again in a flash. Come and go when I please. Have everything I need at the home, I can just fly in and out with NO luggage. My own bed, etc. My OWN GOLF CART!!! Worth more now than 5 years ago. Great neighbors.

BRN_RI_FL 07-17-2018 06:24 AM

If we were to do it over again, we would rent first with a 1.5 garage, so that when we bought we would know not to get a 1.5 garage.

graciegirl 07-17-2018 06:47 AM

We bought impulsively for the first time in our carefully planned life when we came here for the second time, just to look. We owned two homes, one here and there for four years and I worried about the other when I was at the one. We now own one. I liked this place when I laid eyes on it. I still love Ohio, but this is so right for this time in our lives.

justanormalgirl 07-17-2018 07:46 AM

Thank you for your replies. I can see valid points to consider on both sides. I have wondered how I would feel about leaving a fully furnished home empty for several months of the year while I was at the second home. Owning would make more sense financially, I have cringed at the thought of paying out so much for rent because that money isn't ever coming back.

dewilson58 07-17-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanormalgirl (Post 1563165)
Thank you for your replies. I can see valid points to consider on both sides. I have wondered how I would feel about leaving a fully furnished home empty for several months of the year while I was at the second home. Owning would make more sense financially, I have cringed at the thought of paying out so much for rent because that money isn't ever coming back.

It's like gas vs. electric.

Pro's & Con's.

We purchased and let it sit empty. We covered our furniture with sheets when we were gone. Really didn't want renters in Our Home. There are good House Watch people down here.

VIN574 07-17-2018 08:03 AM

We rented 3 times, then bought our own. For us, the advantages of owing are so much better.

l2ridehd 07-17-2018 08:38 AM

Rent first. Different homes, different Villages, different times of the year. Then when you buy, it will be the right home in the right location. You can't look at the rent money as lost. You have to think of it as a vacation just like any other and you spend money to stay someplace. Try it during high season, summer, and the best time of year, May and October. Try different size and style of homes. You will be very happy you invested the time and money to know you are buying the right home for you when you decide it's time to buy.