Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Nancy Lopez Legacy Restaurant (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/nancy-lopez-legacy-restaurant-268343/)

RedChariot 07-22-2018 07:44 AM

Nancy Lopez Legacy Restaurant

A group of us had dinner Saturday at 6 pm. Prime time. Place was less than half empty. Server announced there were no dinner specials (on a Saturday night?). No trout was available for the 2 trout options on the menu. Service impeccable. Setting beautiful.
I'm concerned if there is something happening at one of our only upscale restaurants here in TV. No we are not in season, but there are still a lot of us here and it was Saturday at 6 pm.
With so few customers, how can any restaurant stay open? If this was a Saturday, imagine how "quiet" it might be on a Monday, Tuesday, etc.
Thoughts?

Chatbrat 07-22-2018 08:56 AM

They have been going downhill, for awhile--we stopped going there when they were running out of high end liquor and the bar shelves looked naked
when the owned stopped honoring the frequent dining rewards and when he gave up Hemingway, it was a sign of things to come

billethkid 07-22-2018 10:03 AM

The so called "slow season" survival is another urban legend.

Ten years ago when the busy season population was equal to the current slow season population the country clubs were doing fine.

The problem plain and simple is absentee ownership or ownership by non restaurant people or restaurant people who do not care.

Good food/good service/reasonable prices = successful restaurant formula. Some think having a happy hour is all it takes!!

The country clubs, in my opinion, have always been struggling with mediocre performance.

Chatbrat 07-22-2018 12:00 PM

How about getting too big--one person owning 5-6 restaurants- is a key for mediocrity--how do you compete against yourself?

raynan 07-22-2018 01:16 PM

Who owns Lopez CC? And they are still honoring the Frequent Rewards. Just cashed in $50 a little over a week ago.

wereback 07-22-2018 01:19 PM

It is not the same as when Glenview was new and to go to dinner at Hacienda you wore a suit and the Family ran all the restaurants and the food was the best ever and cost too low to mention. The year 2001

Gpsma 07-22-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1564886)
How about getting too big--one person owning 5-6 restaurants- is a key for mediocrity--how do you compete against yourself?

Mediocrity in the Country Clubs...oh never, finest restaurants here, right next to Steak and Shake

asianthree 07-22-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gpsma (Post 1564950)
Mediocrity in the Country Clubs...oh never, finest restaurants here, right next to Steak and Shake

Now if we can get anyone important to listen that we deserve restaurants that serve great food. Soon as high season comes places will be packed even if they are good or not.

I would love not to have to go outside the bubble to get really good food, but if I am spending my money it needs to be great food.

justjim 07-22-2018 05:38 PM

The Country Clubs have more “chain restaurant” competition now than before. The chain steak/seafood/and other restaurants are everywhere around and just outside The Villages and they take business that use to go to the Country Clubs. Just my observation after 12 plus years of owing property in The Villages. Bottom line - - many restaurant options today.

Finally, perhaps expectations are too high for the Country Clubs. Menus must be such as to compete with the restaurant competition out there today.

Aloha1 07-22-2018 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=asianthree;1564981
I would love not to have to go outside the bubble to get really good food, but if I am spending my money it needs to be great food.[/QUOTE]

Roger that :bigbow:

Northwoods 07-22-2018 07:48 PM

That's disappointing. Lopez is my favorite Country Club and one of my favorite restaurants in The Villages. Would hate to see one of the better ones go under.