Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Garage screen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/garage-screen-268943/)

ArtB 07-29-2018 10:37 PM

Garage screen

What's your preference for a screen on the large garage door. The partition type that slides across a track or the motorized kind that rolls down? What is the difference in price? Whom would be a recommended installer?

EdFNJ 07-29-2018 10:47 PM

The sliders are much cheaper (less than 1/2 the price of motorized last time I checked) since they have no motor. I personally prefer the slider because you can just open it a couple feet to one side to walk in/out of garage with the motorized you have to raise the entire screen. Also slider is simpler with no expensive motor to fail. Slider does have a track on the bottom which could get jammed up with debris (but is easy enough to clean with a broom). Slider also has 4 smaller screens and therefore are cheaper to replace if you put a hole in one panel where if you rip the motorized one either you need an ugly patch or have to replace the entire screen which means taking down the whole unit. Motorized is easier to control just like a garage door opener (you can do it from your car when it rains).

Sliders seem harder to find these days because most of the companies prefer to sell the more expensive motorized.

Bay Kid 07-30-2018 07:17 AM

Roll up model. So much nicer. Always out of the way when not being used. Looks so much better on your home.

collie1228 07-30-2018 07:22 AM

I have sliders, but I bought the top hung roller version, so when the bottom track gets debris in it, it doesn't effect the door's performance. Bought them from Michelle's Hide-Away Screens at the Marion Market. They've performed very well for almost five years now and still look like new. Michelle's also sells the motorized screens.

PWPOTE2000 07-30-2018 10:01 AM

Thumper installs a motorized garage door screen that operates on the same track as your garage door. I have had one for about 8 years and have had no problems. Very convenient.

BobnBev 07-30-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWPOTE2000 (Post 1567482)
Thumper installs a motorized garage door screen that operates on the same track as your garage door. I have had one for about 8 years and have had no problems. Very convenient.

2nd vote for Thumpers. Great company.

Mleeja 07-30-2018 06:36 PM

It comes down to personal preference. We have a roll up and are very happy. The main difference between the two type, for me, is with the roll up you can have both the door and screen down at the same time. With the screen that shares the garage door tracks, it is either the screen or door. If it is raining I can have the screen down and the garage door 3/4 of the way down. This gives me air circulation in the garage while keeping the rain out.

Cool Breeze is a good place to look for a roll up screen. They advertise on this site. Give them a call.

EdFNJ 07-30-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1567707)
It comes down to personal preference. We have a roll up and are very happy. The main difference between the two type, for me, is with the roll up you can have both the door and screen down at the same time. With the screen that shares the garage door tracks, it is either the screen or door. If it is raining I can have the screen down and the garage door 3/4 of the way down. This gives me air circulation in the garage while keeping the rain out.

Cool Breeze is a good place to look for a roll up screen. They advertise on this site. Give them a call.

The sliders are not affected by the garage door at all as they are in front of it. There are 4 sliding panels, you can slide 1 panel over and walk in/out without having to raise the whole thing every time. Yes, it is personal preference.

Bay Kid 07-31-2018 07:27 AM

Cool Breeze did my door.

New Englander 07-31-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1567772)
The sliders are not affected by the garage door at all as they are in front of it. There are 4 sliding panels, you can slide 1 panel over and walk in/out without having to raise the whole thing every time. Yes, it is personal preference.

Who did your screens? Thanks in advance.

EdFNJ 07-31-2018 11:04 AM

No one yet. [emoji3] We are having our garage “stretched” and (if the contractor ever gets moving on it) we’ll have it done it but have been looking at them since we moved in 18mos ago. I did decide to go with the sliders after checking out all the types our neighbors have.

Cool Breeze Roll screens 08-02-2018 07:24 PM

Garage screens

5 Attachment(s)
Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors and motorized awning.
We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have the Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.

888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@yahoo.com

plimit56 08-02-2018 07:36 PM

Personally I like the sliders better because I have a dog. You can open the slider enough o get out and slide it back so your pets do not get out. The power ones open and your pet and scurry right out and be gone. Also if you have power failure the powers one do not open.

Fredster 08-02-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1567772)

I also like that you can slide open 1 panel to go in and out,
which is helpful in keepng any little critters out,
since almost all of the opening is still screened.

Cool Breeze Roll screens 08-02-2018 08:10 PM

Garage screens

Quote:

Originally Posted by plimit56 (Post 1568626)
Personally I like the sliders better because I have a dog. You can open the slider enough o get out and slide it back so your pets do not get out. The power ones open and your pet and scurry right out and be gone. Also if you have power failure the powers one do not open.

Cool breeze roll screen uses a power inverter to raise screen if power is lost. Converts DC to AC from vehicle, golf cart or battery
That's one of our referrals gifts for our customers