Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Uncertain about the Future (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/uncertain-about-future-268990/)

TOMCAT 07-30-2018 12:37 PM

Uncertain about the Future

Can anyone relate about moving to the Villages as being uncertain if this is the right thing to do. And if so, what happened after you moved there. We are getting ready to make that move.

LI SNOWBIRD 07-30-2018 12:45 PM

Bought in '08--best thing we have done in retirement. Drink the Kool-Aid

My Post 07-30-2018 12:55 PM

A lot would depend on the reason(s) why you are uncertain.

graciegirl 07-30-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Post (Post 1567544)

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...2/#post1497865

Most people have misgivings about making a major move across the country. It really is pioneering in a REAL sense. Do you have trouble with major change or find yourself worrying about things? Do you find that the glass is half full or half empty? Most people do worry about moving so far from the familiar.

I thought that the commonality of our age would be more important than other differences but that did not turn out to be true. I have learned a lot about cultural geographic characteristics and customs. We haven't had the same backgrounds and there is an immense difference in how we deal with each other. I found that took some getting used to.

It is a friendly place, but the truth is it takes years to make the kind of friends we left behind. We have a lot of pleasant people to do things with but only a few we feel would be there in a dire situation.

I would do it again, and I think this is a wonderful place to live, but sometimes I long for the old, long time friends left in Ohio who didn't honk at stop lights.

TOMCAT 07-30-2018 01:11 PM

This reminds me of a time long time ago whether I should take the new job I was offered or stay at my present job at the time. I was apprehensive and wrote the pros and cons of each job. I decided to move on to new job. Made a wise decision as I got a bigger pension with the path I went and plus the old place went out of business in 10 years. This fits into this decision.

Abby10 07-30-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Post (Post 1567544)

I agree. OP, if you could provide more information as to what your concerns are, maybe others could address it more directly.

Is it fear of change? Lack of knowledge about TV? Have you visited often enough and/or long enough to get an idea of what it might be like to live there?

We have gradually increased our visits from a few days to a month at a time over the years. Hopefully our next stay will be for 3 months. The only thing I can tell you is I have never been happy to come back home after time spent in TV. I come home to almost immediately start planning my next trip back down. That's how I know I belong there, not here. Hope this helps.

manaboutown 07-30-2018 01:25 PM

From what I have seen and experienced those who transition well from their hometowns to 55 and over communities tend to be relatively healthy, outgoing, somewhat adventuresome, make new friends readily and enjoy changes of scene and new experiences.

Possibly some of the happiest in TV are those who have family members and/or long time friends living nearby.

I have found one can make new friends but one cannot make new old friends.

Abby10 07-30-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1567558)
From what I have seen and experienced those who transition well from their hometowns to 55 and over communities tend to be relatively healthy, outgoing, somewhat adventuresome, make new friends readily and enjoy changes of scene and new experiences.

Possibly some of the happiest in TV are those who have family members and/or long time friends living nearby.

I have found one can make new friends but one cannot make new old friends.

Some great wisdom in your post.

Dan9871 07-30-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMCAT (Post 1567536)
Can anyone relate about moving to the Villages as being uncertain if this is the right thing to do. And if so, what happened after you moved there. We are getting ready to make that move.

We came to The Villages, from MA, for a long weekend in 2014, knowing almost nothing about it. We did know a couple who lived here though and they took us around took us around and showed a lot about the Villages. That weekend we bought a house and moved in one month later.

Our street was a new one and we got involved with lots of good neighbors, learned to golf, did some home upgrades, and in general had a good time.

In then end I think it is very hard understand the Villages without diving in and living here.

I think we were a bit lucky but it was the best move we ever made.

Of course your milage may vary.

Marathon Man 07-30-2018 02:17 PM

I would never pretend to be wise enough to advise someone on such an important and personal decision. But I will say this - It is a not a life time commitment. Remember that you will never be 'stuck' here if you change your mind.

tomwed 07-30-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1567582)
I would never pretend to be wise enough to advise someone on such an important and personal decision. But I will say this - It is a not a life time commitment. Remember that you will never be 'stuck' here if you change your mind.

that's what i was thinking

Abby10 07-30-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1567582)

So true, especially in TV versus many other communities where houses don't sell as quickly.

I also would add to this that the OP may want to buy in small. You can always move into a bigger home if you stay and decide what you purchased is not big enough. No matter what, the investment is not as great and resale may not be as difficult. The patio villas in particular seem to sell rather quickly.

Or as many have suggested before, you can always rent for a year and test the waters before investing.

sdedes 07-30-2018 04:34 PM

My husband and I just bought a home in TV and will be moving the end of this year from Massachusetts. We are excited but nervous at the same time. The thought of leaving our family and friends is a bit daunting. I'm sure once we get settled in we will be fine. St least we won't have to deal with the New England winter!

JoMar 07-30-2018 04:53 PM

We moved in 14 from PA....made lot of new friends here and our old friends stay in touch and visit. This place is not for everyone, have had some in our neighborhood move back, primarily because of family. Based on what the real estate market has been here, wife and I agreed that the worst think that would happen if this didn't work out, we would sell here and move back. When we sold up north we maximized revenue in that market and feel we can do the same here. In our view, the financial risk is low, the emotional risk might be higher.

John_W 07-30-2018 05:17 PM

Over the past few years, from what I remember of posters who decided to return north it seems the #1 reason is grandchildren, and the #2 reason was death of a spouse. Beyond that, every other reason that's been given is usually unique to the situation. It's usually not anything like, we couldn't make friends, didn't like the weather, maybe for some it's too hot, nothing to do there with all the free time, these things just don't normally come up.