Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Recommendation for Club re-gripping (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/recommendation-club-re-gripping-269141/)

tom_sjc 07-31-2018 11:19 PM

Recommendation for Club re-gripping

Hi, where would you go? Any idea on price/club? Need a whole set done.

Thanks.

photo1902 08-01-2018 05:26 AM

I had mine done at The Villages pro shop next to the Sarasota Exec Course. Plan on $8-12 per club, depending on which grips you choose.

staceygolf 08-01-2018 05:56 AM

Best place is Edwin Watts in the Target Plaza. Good prices and nice people.

ColdNoMore 08-01-2018 06:03 AM

While I used to use the Palmer shop because of its convenient location for me, since they've consolidated with Sarasota...I use them now.

They have a large selection, do a good job...and at a fair price.

dewilson58 08-01-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1568127)
I had mine done at The Villages pro shop next to the Sarasota Exec Course. Plan on $8-12 per club, depending on which grips you choose.

Me 2.

Probably could get cheaper some place else, but easy in / easy out and nice people.

:super:

Rapscallion St Croix 08-01-2018 08:25 AM

Had a 3 wood and a Driver re-gripped at Palmer last week. Fourteen dollars total and I had to wait for less than five minutes. Golf Pride grips.

CWGUY 08-01-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1568160)
Had a 3 wood and a Driver re-gripped at Palmer last week. Fourteen dollars total and I had to wait for less than five minutes. Golf Pride grips.

:icon_wink: Just had my telescoping "ball retriever" re-gripped, same great experience.

tom_sjc 08-01-2018 09:49 PM

Thanks to all for the responses.

tophcfa 08-02-2018 10:41 AM

This is a very easy do it yourself job. I order golf pride grips and two sided grip tape from Amazon. Then pick up a razor knife and some mineral spirits from any hardware store. That's all you need. Use the razor knife to cut off the old grips and then remove the old tape (mineral spirits help with tape removal). Put new tape on the club shaft, put your finger over the little hole on the new grip, fill the grip up with mineral spirits, take your finger off the little hole on the grip and let the mineral spirits pour out through the hole onto the new grip tape until the grip is empty, then slip the new grip on the shaft over the tape. Look down the shaft and make sure the grip is not twisted and adjust if necessary, clean the sticky tape residue off the shaft with some mineral spirits on a paper towel, and wait a couple hours for everything to dry and set before swinging the club. If you are re-gripping a club with a graphite shaft, be careful not to scratch the shaft when removing the old grIp. Once you re-grip the first couple of clubs and get the hang of it, the rest will go very fast.

kcrazorbackfan 08-02-2018 06:37 PM

OP, take it from my experience of gripping 1,000's of clubs and take them to the Sarasota Custom Club Shop and get them re-gripped; there are even some sale priced grips at $5.99. Unless you're going to do this over and over and over, don't spend your money on everything needed to do it right (grips, double sided tape, mineral spirits, rubber shaft clamp, vise and most important - making sure any alignment aids on the grips is dead-center aligned with the face of the clubs) for one set of clubs.