Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Oatmeal - what kind and what do you add? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/oatmeal-what-kind-what-do-you-add-269356/)

tomwed 08-04-2018 09:49 AM

Oatmeal - what kind and what do you add?

Until a year ago I hardly touched oatmeal.

Now I make enough for 3 days on the stove and nuke the leftovers. I like rolled oats and steel cut. I make 3 cups at a time and throw in 2 chopped apples and boil it until it's done. Before serving I add dried fruit [raisins, prunes].

I don't have a favorite brand or type yet. Do you?

I'm looking for other combinations.

graciegirl 08-04-2018 10:14 AM

I used to make it from the round cardboard box with the Quaker guy on the front. However, SOMEONE in our home who runs to the grocery store and is very helpful, has returned three times with the buy one get one free instant oatmeal. (Maybe four times) So I fix it with half and half. I like the dates and nuts, and the maple one, and the brown sugar. Sometimes I use skim milk to make it. That is usually the week just after I have been to the doctor for a checkup.

I used to collect those cardboard round containers to make drums for the Indians. In my classroom, right around Thanksgiving. I mean Native Americans.

tomwed 08-04-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1568924)

I used to collect those cardboard round containers to make drums for the Indians. In my classroom, right around Thanksgiving. I mean Native Americans.

I didn't know or maybe forgot you were a teacher. Back in the day the boxes were also used to make a radio. I made one with my dad but didn't make one with my kids. I wish I did you never know where that leads. What kind of interest gets sparked.

Radios That Work For Free | WIRED
Another great starter project for kids is the Quaker Oats box set broadcast AM crystal radio. You use the cardboard cylinder of a Quaker Oats box for the wire coil. Download the free PDF free plans. They even give some useful science fair hints for this project.

manaboutown 08-04-2018 10:59 AM

Years ago I switched from Quaker Oats style oatmeal to Trader Joe’s steel cut oatmeal, the quick cook variety. I add some pieces of ginger and dried fruit such as blueberries and/or cherries from Costco. I use a combination of almond and coconut milk on it.

tomwed 08-04-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1568946)
Years ago I switched from Quaker Oats style oatmeal to Trader Joe’s steel cut oatmeal, the quick cook variety. I add some pieces of ginger and dried fruit such as blueberries and/or cherries from Costco. I use a combination of almond and coconut milk on it.

I never thought of ginger---thanks

marianne237 08-04-2018 11:24 AM

I add walnuts and dried cherries or cranberries, and sprinkle with cinnamon

Arctic Fox 08-04-2018 11:49 AM

To get oats to cook more quickly they have to be more finely cut, which is less beneficial to your digestive system, so go with "traditional" rather than the quick cook or instant

Cook the oats, adding fresh blueberries and cranberries very near the end

I also add flax seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon and turmeric (mixed with black pepper) before cooking, but it all adds time to the process

fw102807 08-04-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1568946)

I love ginger, this is a great idea.

EPutnam1863 08-04-2018 01:31 PM

That is the beauty of oatmeal...so much can be added to it, and one can be so creative with it.

Fredman 08-04-2018 02:24 PM

Brown sugar and condensed milk. Like it sweet

jblum315 08-04-2018 02:26 PM

The instant oatmeal is tasty but it has lots more carbs (sugar mostly) than I think is healthy

Rapscallion St Croix 08-04-2018 03:43 PM

Quaker Oats with peanut butter and honey...every morning. Haven't had the egg/bacon/sausage/pancake deal for years. I eat grits, but not for breakfast.

jmvalcq 08-04-2018 06:32 PM

Oatmeal

I like baked oatmeal with frozen fruit. Leftovers are good too eith hot or cold. Also overnight oatmeal made with yogurt.

PJOHNS2654 08-04-2018 06:42 PM

Oatmeal

Bob's Red Mill Sottish Oatmeal. Add chopped dates and Speculoos Cookie Butter.:MOJE_whot:

Ecuadog 08-04-2018 06:49 PM

Bob's Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Oats are the best, IMHO. Their Muesli is great for breakfast too, especially if you're in a hurry. You can count on quality products from Bob's Red Mill.

The story behind Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods and its founder, Bob Moore, is an interesting one.