Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   My Latest Platelet Donation is heading for a 9 month old with heart problems. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/my-latest-platelet-donation-heading-9-month-old-heart-problems-270297/)

Taltarzac725 08-16-2018 12:46 PM

My Latest Platelet Donation is heading for a 9 month old with heart problems.

I have AB- and my latest platelet donation is slated for a 9 month year old infant. She is having open heart surgery.

fw102807 08-16-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1572480)
I have AB- and my latest platelet donation is slated for a 9 month year old infant. She is having open heart surgery.

You are truly a wonderful human being for doing this. My grandson had open heart surgery at age 4 for CHD. We celebrate his success every year.

Taltarzac725 08-16-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1572483)
You are truly a wonderful human being for doing this. My grandson had open heart surgery at age 4 for CHD. We celebrate his success every year.

I do platelets a few times a month. She just happens to be the recipient. They usually do not tell you where the platelets are going unless an infant is involved.

I have only donated it turned out for an infant twice in the 11 years or so I have been donating platelets.

Taltarzac725 08-18-2018 10:14 AM

It went off with out any problems here at my end and am praying for a good result for this 9 month old infant.

Also got to watch almost all of the movie Silverado. Kind of enjoy western shoot-em ups and action movies when I am getting stuck with minor holes.

Up to 23 gallons soon donated for the One Blood count. They wanted a tally when I started donating with them in 2007 so this does not quite take into account Life South or Florida Blood Services donations in the Ocala and northern parts of the Villages and the Tampa Bay area, respectively.

fw102807 08-18-2018 10:27 AM

Where do you go to do this?

Taltarzac725 08-18-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1573013)
Where do you go to do this?

There is a Lady Lake One Blood facility near the Villages Regional Hospital off of US 441/27.

Some of the phlebotomists are better than others even though they seem to do better and better with experience.

They have blood mobiles too at various places but these do not allow platelet donations. They do allow other donations that take longer than the whole blood.

OneBlood - Home

Quote:

1550 Bella Cruz Drive
Lady Lake, FL 32159
It is in Spanish Plaines Shopping Center.

https://www.thevillages.com/lifestyl...%20Plaines.pdf

fw102807 08-18-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1573015)
There is a Lady Lake One Blood facility near the Villages Regional Hospital off of US 441/27.

Some of the phlebotomists are better than others even though they seem to do better and better with experience.

They have blood mobiles too at various places but these do not allow platelet donations. They do allow other donations that take longer than the whole blood.

OneBlood - Home

It is in Spanish Plaines Shopping Center.

https://www.thevillages.com/lifestyl...%20Plaines.pdf

Thanks I will look into this

Taltarzac725 08-18-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1573019)
Thanks I will look into this

They are often quite busy with the platelet, plasma, and double red blood cell donors. There are often open seats for the whole blood donors.

Depends a lot on when they give out the $10 gift cards which are good for a number of locations-- Walmart, Barnes and Noble, various restaurants, Amazon, Fandango movies, etc.

fw102807 08-18-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1573031)
They are often quite busy with the platelet, plasma, and double red blood cell donors. There are often open seats for the whole blood donors.

Depends a lot on when they give out the $10 gift cards which are good for a number of locations-- Walmart, Barnes and Noble, various restaurants, Amazon, Fandango movies, etc.

I will need to do whole blood donation to determine my blood type which I think is O but I am not sure. If I understood the material correctly they are more interested in rare types for platelets.

Taltarzac725 08-18-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1573032)
I will need to do whole blood donation to determine my blood type which I think is O but I am not sure. If I understood the material correctly they are more interested in rare types for platelets.

I am AB- which for platelets is a universal donor. Anyone can take my platelets. Very few people can take my blood though. It is only about 1% of the population who have AB- even though I know a number of them.

fw102807 08-18-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1573034)
I am AB- which for platelets is a universal donor. Anyone can take my platelets. Very few people can take my blood though. It is only about 1% of the population who have AB- even though I know a number of them.

I think I am the opposite so donating whole blood may be a better and quicker option for me.

Taltarzac725 08-18-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1573035)
I think I am the opposite so donating whole blood may be a better and quicker option for me.

They will tell you what is the best option when you go into donate as well as determine your blood type. Not really positive that they do that there but I expect that they would. I started donating around 1985 to impress a blonde woman where I worked in Belmont, CA. And a woman I would run into at various law librarian conventions ( 1989 Reno? 1992 San Francisco) was donating whole blood instead. They did tell me my blood type there. She looked just like a drawing I did of a woman in a magazine that I had given to a special family in Reno, Nevada who said that it reminded them of their recently deceased daughter. And the spitting image of both this lady at Information Access Company (Belmont, CA) and the woman in the drawing who was in a lot of my law school classes. The lawyer is a top immigration attorney in San Francisco.

I still donate blood to impress various blondes and brunettes now as well.

fw102807 08-18-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1573084)
They will tell you what is the best option when you go into donate as well as determine your blood type. Not really positive that they do that there but I expect that they would. I started donating around 1985 to impress a blonde woman where I worked in Belmont, CA. And a woman I would run into at various law librarian conventions ( 1989 Reno? 1992 San Francisco) was donating whole blood instead. They did tell me my blood type there. She looked just like a drawing I did of a woman in a magazine that I had given to a special family in Reno, Nevada who said that it reminded them of their recently deceased daughter. And the spitting image of both this lady at Information Access Company (Belmont, CA) and the woman in the drawing who was in a lot of my law school classes. The lawyer is a top immigration attorney in San Francisco.

I still donate blood to impress various blondes and brunettes now as well.

That's pretty funny. I am more interested in doing it because you reminded me of my grandson's open heart surgery and realizing that he may have needed it.

Nucky 08-18-2018 05:16 PM

We both have been kicking the thought around for to long. It’s time to do it. I always did give blood at work when I was young but stopped. Lazy? I don’t know.

We are committed to start and this thread did it. Thanks.

My blood type is R.

Ragu. :1rotfl: Sorry.

fw102807 08-18-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1573098)
We both have been kicking the thought around for to long. It’s time to do it. I always did give blood at work when I was young but stopped. Lazy? I don’t know.

We are committed to start and this thread did it. Thanks.

My blood type is R.

Ragu. :1rotfl: Sorry.

:1rotfl: This literally made me laugh out loud