Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   what to do with a 3 lb package of of ground beef (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/what-do-3-lb-package-ground-beef-270307/)

tomwed 08-16-2018 01:44 PM

what to do with a 3 lb package of of ground beef

I like cooking but try to keep it easy and inexpensive.

Take 2 lbs and mix in 2 eggs and divide into two piles.

To one pile add panko bread crumbs, basil 2t, oregano 1/2 t, S and P. Make 2 in meatballs.

To the other soak bread cubes in 1/4 c of milk. S and P and form a meatloaf.

Bake on a rack on a pan at 400 degrees. Check the meatballs after 10 minute, roll around, wait another 10 minutes, 155 degrees and wait 40 min total for the meat loaf 155 degrees.

While the oven is on brown a pound with chopped onions, salt and pepper until barely done and make 3 packages.

If that's too much cooked ground beef freeze 1/2 the cooked beef for next week.

Do you have any short cuts saving prep time, clean up time and money?

Now you have 2 meals [minus the sides or pasta] with left overs.

And with browned ground beef you can make tacos, chile, sloppy joes, beef stroganoff with not much prep or cleaning.

Tom C 08-16-2018 01:59 PM

Sounds GREAT :coolsmiley: - I bet you are the first on the INVITE LIST for all the block parties!:mmmm::pepper2:

Henryk 08-16-2018 02:07 PM

Years ago, I threw away—errr, recycled—ALL of my food storage containers and replaced them by restaurant plastic take-out containers of the sort you might get hot and sour soup in. Plastic, plus lids (sold separately). Lids fit all sizes. No more searching for matching lids. And if they go astray, who cares. But,..? I digress.

I like to make several things in bulk and then freeze in the you-know-what. Chicken stock. (Robert’s favorite is roasted chicken. I could cluck.)

Red pasta sauce with pork (ground and/or chops), beef, veal, onions, LOTS of garlic, oregano and some crushed red pepper. Usually we make about six or seven quarts.

Soups. Any soup,but save pasta until you reheat.

Stews.

Even whole summer tomatoes. Wash thoroughly. Pack lightly in containers. Freeze. Fresh as can be up to a month.

My Post 08-16-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryk (Post 1572512)
Years ago, I threw away—errr, recycled—ALL of my food storage containers and replaced them by restaurant plastic take-out containers of the sort you might get hot and sour soup in. Plastic, plus lids (sold separately).

But if you put hot stuff into them the plastic will leach into the food....

VILLAGERBB 08-16-2018 03:25 PM

Ground Beef Recipe

Hi tomwed,
Your recipes sound delicious! Where do you buy your meat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1572503)

To one pile add panko bread crumbs, basil 2t, oregano 1/2 t, S and P. Make 2 in meatballs.

Bake on a rack on a pan at 400 degrees. Check the meatballs after 10 minute, roll around, wait another 10 minutes, 155 degrees and wait 40 min total for the meat loaf 155 degrees.

While the oven is on brown a pound with chopped onions, salt and pepper until barely done and make 3 packages.

And with browned ground beef you can make tacos, chile, sloppy joes, beef stroganoff with not much prep or cleaning.

Henryk 08-17-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Post (Post 1572525)
But if you put hot stuff into them the plastic will leach into the food....

I have to cool down the food anyway since it’s going in the freezer. No prob!

papasetti82 09-01-2018 12:00 PM

My Wife used to add a package of onion soup mix to the meatloaf.Added a lot of flavor.

tomwed 09-01-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB (Post 1572542)
Hi tomwed,
Your recipes sound delicious! Where do you buy your meat?

I must have missed this. Aldi's sells it for $7.50 and for a week or two they has $2 off.
If you are close to Fresh Market they sell it, or use to, for half price on tuesdays. If you go there consider buying 1 lb each of beef, pork and veal and mixing them. Let me know how it tastes. My favorite is the meatloaf. Pack it tight and refrigerate it after it cooks. Then slice it as thin as practical and fry it----don't forget the ketchup.

Jima64 09-01-2018 12:19 PM

add some shredded zuchini to that meatloaf, about a cup. Adds a nice taste and texture.

fw102807 09-01-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1572503)

Awesome Tom even I can understand this.

Abby10 09-01-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1577220)
Awesome Tom even I can understand this.

I don't. Can you explain? Uh-oh, wrong thread - lol

Thanks, tomwed, for this and all your helpful cooking tips.