Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   Stock Education Club? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/stock-education-club-270912/)

villager 08-24-2018 01:40 PM

Stock Education Club?

Is there a club that teaches about investing in the stock market? I'd like to learn about calls, puts, etc. I am a baby novice in this field but would like to "play" in the market a little.

Boomer 08-24-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villager (Post 1574773)
Is there a club that teaches about investing in the stock market? I'd like to learn about calls, puts, etc. I am a baby novice in this field but would like to "play" in the market a little.

There is such a club. It is the Investment Education Club. They have a website villagesie.weebly.com and you can get on the email list by sending an email, with the subject "SUBSCRIBE" to invest.ed101@gmail.com

The meetings are on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month, from 3:00 to 4:30, in the Daytona Beach Room at the Sea Breeze Rec Center.

Meetings do not start up again until 9/27 when the topic will be "The Basics of Stock Options."

After that, the next few meetings will be, as follow:

10/11 "Investment Apps for Your Mobile Device"
10/25 "Market Indicators"
11/08 "Tax Topics"
11/22 no meeting, Thanksgiving
12/13 open
12/27 no meeting, holidays

Sometimes club members give presentations and sometimes speakers are brought in. There is usually time for questions.

Villageswimmer 08-24-2018 06:29 PM

You can learn a lot at bogleheads dot org . This forum is named for John Bogle, founder of Vanguard. There are some real experts who are generous in sharing their knowledge. Hope this helps.

Carla B 08-25-2018 08:40 AM

In addition to the Investment Education Club, there is the Growth Stock Pickers Club, the Stock Options Club, a new Dividend Investment Club.

Boomer 08-25-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1574941)
In addition to the Investment Education Club, there is the Growth Stock Pickers Club, the Stock Options Club, a new Dividend Investment Club.

Thank you, Carla B. I did not know that there is now the Dividend Investment Club.

OP, the Dividend Investment Club might be something you would like to check in on. I think dividend investing is direct and relatively simple and pretty easy to keep an eye on. The market goes up. The market goes down. But a well chosen, solid, dividend paying stock pays you while you wait. (You still have to watch ‘em though. :) )

BoatRatKat 08-25-2018 02:48 PM

There is one every other Tues at Sea Breeze I believe around noon. The people teaching it are very knowledgeable. Worth a look.

villager 08-27-2018 09:33 AM

Thank you all. I've sent a subscribe email request to the Invest Education Club and will put the meeting dates on my calendar. I will also check into boogleheads and will look up the Tuesday club at Sea Breeze. Your help is greatly appreciated!