Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Lithium ion battery conversion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/lithium-ion-battery-conversion-271489/)

klamura 09-01-2018 09:20 AM

Lithium ion battery conversion

Has anyone converted their electric golf cart lead acid batteries to Lithium ion batteries. If so, did you think the improvement in performance, ease of maintenance and longevity to be enough to justify the increased cost?

Biker Dog 09-02-2018 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klamura (Post 1577140)
Has anyone converted their electric golf cart lead acid batteries to Lithium ion batteries. If so, did you think the improvement in performance, ease of maintenance and longevity to be enough to justify the increased cost?

Great Question. Hope someone can answer it.:coolsmiley:

aninjamom 09-02-2018 07:03 AM

It's been a while since I was in the battery business; but if it's even possible, I would be afraid to do it. Lithium batteries don't handle high temperatures very well, and it gets very hot out there on the street in the summer. I don't want my golf cart to go :boom:

villagetinker 09-02-2018 08:29 AM

Remember to include the cost of a new charger, as a charger for lead acid batteries is NOT suitable for Lithium Ion batteries.

rjm1cc 09-02-2018 10:49 AM

I would consider lithium batteries if I was buying a new cart. But remember the skate board fires caused by the lithium batteries. I use very small hobby lithium batteries and I keep them in a fire proof box for storage and when charging. I think these type batteries are the way electrical vehicles will go so just be sure safety is considered. By the way I also keep the batteries out side of my house and where if they caught on fire they would do minimal damage.

biker1 09-02-2018 12:16 PM

Cellphones have lithium-ion batteries. Virtually all electric cars and hybrids have lithium-ion batteries. My weed wacker has a lithium-ion battery. They are ubiquitous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1577491)
I would consider lithium batteries if I was buying a new cart. But remember the skate board fires caused by the lithium batteries. I use very small hobby lithium batteries and I keep them in a fire proof box for storage and when charging. I think these type batteries are the way electrical vehicles will go so just be sure safety is considered. By the way I also keep the batteries out side of my house and where if they caught on fire they would do minimal damage.

TechGC 09-02-2018 03:27 PM

Lithium Ion conversion its are available. Do it your selfers have been doing it for years. All your concerns are well founded, but when you get into the big lithium applications you have to have a battery management system. This will shut down what is being powered by these batteries to prevent battery damage and fires. Most of the conversions Ive seen have been with cheap china lithium batteries to make it a practical swap, other wise it can be very expensive. Good lithium is coming, but Ive been saying that for 10 years now.

klamura 09-04-2018 12:07 PM

A company called Lithium Boost told me that to convert my cart which has 8 six volt batteries, if I did it myself, would be a total of $3100. They are good for 2000 charge/discharge cycles as opposed to 4-500 for lead acid. They are maintenance free, weigh 90 lbs vs. 4-500 lbs, charge in half the time, have increase range, etc.

Very tempting............don't you think?

EdFNJ 10-01-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klamura (Post 1578159)
A company called Lithium Boost told me that to convert my cart which has 8 six volt batteries, if I did it myself, would be a total of $3100. They are good for 2000 charge/discharge cycles as opposed to 4-500 for lead acid. They are maintenance free, weigh 90 lbs vs. 4-500 lbs, charge in half the time, have increase range, etc.

Very tempting............don't you think?

The design of an electric golf cart takes into consideration the weight and location of the batteries. Remove 400+ lbs of batteries from the "center of gravity" of your electric cart that wasn't designed that way could easily lead to a tip-over.

That being said, "ATOMIC" sells 2 carts, The ZIP and The ZIPPER, designed with LI's from the ground up. You'll see them "zipping" around TV in ever increasing volume. I should have mine tomorrow. :)

atomic electric vehicles - Google Search

"The Zipper" is the yellow one. The "ZIP" is the same but smaller with only a front seat. They come from the factory with LI's designed from the ground up.

Kahuna32162 10-02-2018 05:52 AM

OK, I did have my 2014 electric cart converted from lead acid to lithium by AGC, Advantage Golf Cars, when they were located in The Villages. They have since moved to Ocala. It was expensive and, over time, did not meet our expectations.

The setup: 10 Lithium batteries, all with their own charger and a management controller.
Pros: Less weight, better range per charge.

Cons: over a 2 year period, 3 batteries and 5 chargers had to be replaced. Over a 2 month period this year, the cart was in for service 5 times, and while the battery and chargers were replaced under warranty, the cost to transport to Ocala was not. The system also caused us to go through 2 solenoids in a 2 year period.

The Bottom Line: IMHO, I would not have this done as a conversion on an existing cart. A new cart that comes from the manufacture that is already setup with a Lithium system (like the new Atomic carts) might be a much better choice.

BTW, traded that cart in at Carts and Clubs for a 2018 Yamaha EFI quiet tech gas cart.

bilcon 11-27-2018 11:56 AM

I got a better idea. Buy a gas cart. I spent about $400 on service and one battery in 5 years. OK I don't use my cart like some of you. I have about 5,000 miles on it. Much cheaper than electric, in my opinion. I am on my second set of batteries on my 2007 Club Cart. Now I need batteries again as well as bushings, front and back. The cart is hardly used and has never been on a golf course. Oh well.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." Charles Schulz

Brawnwy123 01-21-2019 02:48 PM

Cart conversion

`[QUOTE=klamura;1577140]Has anyone converted their electric golf cart lead acid batteries to Lithium ion batteries. If so, did you think the improvement in performance, ease of maintenance and l ]

Answer
Seems to be a good item. I contacted two cart shops, and one independent. They all say not to do it, but they also do not seem to know why. So, I tried and will back off on that. It seems 48 volts is 48 volts, DC no matter from where?
If your 110 and 220 come from a Nuclear plant or a Steam plant or a coal fired plant,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well ???????

:bigbow: :MOJE_whot:

Biker Dog 01-22-2019 04:27 AM

Read this reply I received from a maker of lithium batteries.

Sorry the link would not attach. but he stated not to convert to lithium batteries. The only advantage with lithium is that they charge quicker. Also you would need a new controller and new charger.

biker1 01-22-2019 06:04 PM

Yes, you already stated that in a previous post (#5). We don't keep our iPhones (several generations), iPads (several generations), or Weed Wacker in a fireproof box. They all have lithium-ion batteries. The house is still standing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1618433)
I keep my hobby batteries in a fire proof box. I know several people who have had theirs's catch on fire but had no major damage as they took proper precautions.

JoelJohnson 01-22-2019 06:16 PM

What about converting from lithium to regular batteries? I know it's unusual, but the lithium keep dying.