Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Lawn Services and Rain (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/lawn-services-rain-271720/)

Buckeyephan 09-04-2018 01:19 PM

Lawn Services and Rain

Just got off the phone with the folks who mow our yard. We are contracted for a Monday mowing and they didn't come yesterday. She informed me they worked yesterday but I told her they didn't do our yard. She then said we had rain and they don't work in the rain. I'm not aware of rain yesterday morning or early afternoon when they usually come. I said I would deduct a mowing from next month's bill which will arrive the first of October. She said they didn't credit for rain days and we still owed the same amount. We had an issue earlier this year and missed two consecutive weeks because of rain. Do other folks have the same problem? Thanks.

Chatbrat 09-04-2018 01:22 PM

Yes, be happy you have someone to mow--with the rapid expansion of TV, be happy you can get anyone to cut your lawn--our service ,just dropped 80 customers

biker1 09-04-2018 01:28 PM

You need to be flexible and realize that these folks work very hard for not a whole lot of money. You don't want your grass cut while it is wet. The current weather situation will change and they will be able to get back on schedule. You are not their only customer. If you are otherwise happy with their service, I would suggest you not threaten to withhold a weeks cutting otherwise you may be looking for someone new to cut your grass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1578186)
Just got off the phone with the folks who mow our yard. We are contracted for a Monday mowing and they didn't come yesterday. She informed me they worked yesterday but I told her they didn't do our yard. She then said we had rain and they don't work in the rain. I'm not aware of rain yesterday morning or early afternoon when they usually come. I said I would deduct a mowing from next month's bill which will arrive the first of October. She said they didn't credit for rain days and we still owed the same amount. We had an issue earlier this year and missed two consecutive weeks because of rain. Do other folks have the same problem? Thanks.

skyking 09-04-2018 02:02 PM

Our service just does it on another day.

asianthree 09-04-2018 04:12 PM

If the lawn is too wet our company will not use a rider, will return couple days later. If it’s really out of control they will use a walk behind. One day of rain puts them behind, for the day think about how much rain we have had just in the last week

Then again it does not rain in some Villages and pours in others.

retiredguy123 09-04-2018 05:14 PM

Most services charge by the month. As long as your grass doesn't get too long, you should be happy they are keeping up with the growth.

rjn5656 09-05-2018 05:42 AM

Ours will fit it in later in the week, but it is always done.

jeriteri 09-05-2018 05:55 AM

Buckey are you new to The Villages? It rains a lot around here. Waiting for your grass to get cut is normal here. Unless your paying a hefty sum to get yours cut on a regular basis no matter what. When it gets cooler out they don't cut the grass every week. Hence a reasonable $ per month all year

skip0358 09-05-2018 06:04 AM

My grass is done on Thursdays unless it rains. I have the same Company for 7 years now. I don't have to ask them to do anything special they see something they do it. Pay my bill 2 months at a time and when my yard is done I have Ice Cold Drinks ready for them. Be patient cutting wet grass especially the way it's been raining is a no no

Nucky 09-05-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1578186)

I understand how you feel and had the same feelings myself. I am on our second company and work with them now.

In New Jersey, we paid $45 per cut, in The Villages we pay $45 per month. I didn't really understand the way it works here until a neighbor explained that it is taken for granted that you pay the full freight year round because of the price being so reasonable.

The condition of my property this very day breaks my heart, it is a disgrace. We just got home after 2 months and I can tell you for sure that they do a better job when your home than when your not. I can't ever see the trays on the ground that the water runs from the downspouts.

Still, I'm grateful for our gang and they are polite and work hard under rough conditions. Water supplied to them constantly. All I have to do is talk to them about the shortcomings and they resolve the problem quickly.

Hang in there OP, I know it's not easy to accept all the new ways of the south but you will not change the policy of your company.

thetruth 09-05-2018 09:36 AM

You have the option of doing it yourself

We've lived in private homes most of our lives.

This is actually the first time we ever hired someone to mow our lawn. It is a new for us pain in the ...........

The basic guide is a mower should be sharp. Does your commercial guy use a sharp mower-probably not. To maintain a sharp mower would require sharpening several times a week.

You should never cut off more than 1/3 of the grass blade.
At times, summer, that would require mowing twice a week.
I don't think any of the commercial guys, except on the golf courses, do that.

You get cross contamination. St Augustine into your Zoyzia and the other way around. Also weeds and fungus.
Do any of the commercial guys clean their mower after each mowing-I doubt it.

In high school I started an ran a lawn mowing service..
I do my best to be reasonable. Like anything else, some people are too demanding. .Perhaps, everyone should mow their own lawn for a few months to realize what they have CHOSEN to pay someone else to do. .

dewilson58 09-05-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1578271)
Most services charge by the month. As long as your grass doesn't get too long, you should be happy they are keeping up with the growth.

Agree.

Our neighbor keeps track of their scheduled mow days.

Not a stress point for me if mine gets skipped.

spring_chicken 09-05-2018 01:21 PM

My service just comes the next day if they are rained out. By the looks of the replies, that appears to be the norm.
Some people aren't going to be satisfied if the Queen herself pulled up in a mercedes, cut every blade of grass with scissors, then shared a bottle of expensive scotch with them.

Nucky 09-05-2018 01:30 PM

Our lawn cutters showed up since I posted today and it is not good. There are several different crews, today we got Stevie and Ray! Either they don't care or it is the heat. Whatever, to the pool, we're off! I'm not stressing it or calling on them.

I wish I had the guts to do it myself. I'm sure I would not show up for weeks.

dewilson58 09-05-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1578569)
Our lawn cutters showed up since I posted today and it is not good. There are several different crews, today we got Stevie and Ray! Either they don't care or it is the heat. Whatever, to the pool, we're off! I'm not stressing it or calling on them.

I wish I had the guts to do it myself. I'm sure I would not show up for weeks.

I thought you had lobsters cutting your lawn.