Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Twosome allowed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/twosome-allowed-271804/)

Garywt 09-05-2018 07:54 PM

Twosome allowed

My wife and I like to golf from time to time and like to go out just the 2 of us. Is that allowed or would we be paired up with another twosome? We are not good and we never keep score we just like to go out from time to time. We also hate people pushing us from behind. The winner is usually the one of us who loses the fewest balls.

Is there a place for us or should we just leave our clubs up north.

Fredman 09-05-2018 07:59 PM

You will probably be paired up

tomwed 09-05-2018 08:07 PM

When will you be here? Are you plying the 9 hole courses or the championship courses? What time of the day do you want to play?

HoosierPa 09-05-2018 08:13 PM

You can easily play by yourselves as we do if you play at unpopular times and plan, usually evenings.

billethkid 09-05-2018 09:55 PM

What you described sounds to me like the average golfer here in TV...."...not very good..."

If you can learn to fill your divots....fix your ball marks on the greens...rake the bunkers.....

You will be far and away ahead of many, MANY wanna bees here in TV (I tried to avoid saying most).

kaydee 09-05-2018 10:21 PM

I see np problem with being a 2-some. Keep in mind, your chance become less as the seasonal residents start arriving. Based on what you said about being an occasional player & you don’t take it serious, I trust you do know golf etiquette & follow it. Enjoy the game when you can

baustgen 09-06-2018 06:17 AM

Pay the $8 a month and get villages.net. You can now go on the t time website the night before you want to golf and see the unassigned t times. Pick a time showing 4 vacancies and make your reservation. You still might be assigned someone to join you but your odds are better to golf alone than making a reservation.

If you are a novice, play the par 3's. Hit from the front it's, pick up after 6 swings and you can meet some great people. Our best friends we met at a par 3 where both the wives were beginners. Bring the sticks.

Marathon Man 09-06-2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 1578707)
My wife and I like to golf from time to time and like to go out just the 2 of us. Is that allowed or would we be paired up with another twosome? We are not good and we never keep score we just like to go out from time to time. We also hate people pushing us from behind. The winner is usually the one of us who loses the fewest balls.

It is unlikely that you will be able to play alone during high season. Summer is much easier, although never guaranteed.

If you are keeping up with the group ahead of you, then you are OK. If not and the group behind you is 'pushing you', then you should pick up and move forward.

One of the best things about golf is that beginners can play without affecting anyone else on the course. We were all beginners once. Keep playing, and don't be concerned about playing with others.

Lastly, choose executive courses with a "1" or "2" rating. These have fewer hazards and you will keep your balls longer.

bilcon 09-06-2018 09:47 AM

Nothing more to say. Some great advise from
everyone. Maybe see Maria at Palmer golf school.

IndianaJones 09-06-2018 10:25 AM

During the summers, on the Executive Courses, in the afternoons - your chances are very good IF you reserve in advance (you can even look to see if you schedule it for just the two of you - but be aware that doesn't mean they can't add someone to your 2some, later on). However, during the season? Fuhgeddaboutit - you'll be paired, nearly all the time. It is what it is - lots of people trying to walk-on, better weather, and more people.

Barefoot 09-06-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

My wife and I like to golf from time to time and like to go out just the 2 of us. Is that allowed or would we be paired up with another twosome?

On occasion we like to golf, just the two of us. If it's a busy day, you will definitely be paired.
However we often go out in "high" season at the end of the day to a Starter Shack that has three golf courses.
A lot of people who don't want to be paired golf at the end of the day, when people have food, not golf on their minds.
The Starter Shack makes every effort to accommodate us. So yes, bring your clubs.

kcrazorbackfan 09-06-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1578741)
What you described sounds to me like the average golfer here in TV...."...not very good..."

If you can learn to fill your divots....fix your ball marks on the greens...rake the bunkers.....

You will be far and away ahead of many, MANY wanna bees here in TV (I tried to avoid saying most).

You’ll probably get paired up, but you might get lucky and find players the same caliber as you and your wife; they may know some of the same type, and so on. Before you know it, you’ve made a lot more friends.

Garywt 09-06-2018 09:41 PM

Thanks all. We generally play in the afternoon or later in the day. I have actually been playing for over 30 years and use to work on a golf course cutting green and fairways etc so I know a little about the game. My wife has played the last 8 or so years a little but not much. We would play the 9 hole courses and would try to find the 2-3 least popular if there is such a thing. The course we do play at up north is 9 holes and usually empty in the afternoon. If others are behind us we usually let them play through.

rtime 09-06-2018 10:14 PM

Later in the day you can usually go out by your selfs. During high season chances are very slim, but you will get to meet some nice people. We have meet people from around the world. We have always had a great time playing with them.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 09-07-2018 06:20 AM

If it's busy and there is another 2-some looking to play you will, and should be paired up. No one should be denied playing when space is available.

You'll find this to be the case in the winter months when the courses are full.

In the summer you will be able to play as a twosome much more often if you pick the right times.

This is a major headache for many of the starters in TV. They have to deal with a lot of people that don't want to be paired up. That means either forcing people to play together or denying some people the opportunity to play when space is available. Which do you think is the right decision.

If you are paired up and really don't want to be, you always have the opportunity to go home. But you shouldn't be the cause of other's not being able to play.