Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   House on a retention pond (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/house-retention-pond-27265/)

Russ_Boston 02-05-2010 03:57 PM

House on a retention pond

In my endless pursuit to narrow down my choices...

Does anyone live on a retention pond? Positives (no homes behind, scenic etc.)? Negatives (endless frog noise, snakes etc.)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Russ

Linwood 02-05-2010 04:16 PM

House on Pond

Russ,
I sort of assume nearly every pond is a retention pond as all are designed to gather runoff - I have a house on a pond, just off the first hole of Kilimanjaro,
it is so cool to watch the sunset over the water, the frogs are just coming in as the pond is only two years old, but there are lots of ducks, and the sounds they make are actually sort of comfortable,
I live out in the boonies now, and have coyotes, deer, owls ect making all kinds of noises - so the pond is noise I already like,
I do not yet live there full time, but love my visits because the water is so calming,
When we were making the decision to buy, the pond view and presence was the clinching factor, (other than the fact she wanted it.)
so I guess personal preference is the real decision point,
Besides, you will be so busy playing you'll only sit on the lanai looking at the pond at cocktail time - from a hammock!
Peace,

Russ_Boston 02-05-2010 04:26 PM

Yes I meant any pond. Thanks.

under55 02-05-2010 05:50 PM

It was the best $75,000.00 I have ever spent.

downeaster 02-05-2010 05:59 PM

I do not live on a pond but observe many. Water levels can vary in some ponds due to runoff, pumping out for irrigation, etc. Some even go dry. You may want to ask some questions concerning this before buying.

I lived on a relatively large pond prior to moving here. It was fed naturally and water level controlled by a dam. That's the only thing I "sacrificed" to move here. Relaxing on a lanai is great but relaxing on a lanai overlooking water is close to heaven.

barb1191 02-05-2010 06:07 PM

How about alligators? I would choose to not live pondside here because I definitely would not like to meet up with an alligator.

I have friends that live in Zephyrhills, FL a little bit South of us here in TV who had waterfront pond property and every day they had a visit from an alligator. They moved to another community and don't miss the waterfront.

Have read a few comments on this website where residents on waterfront properties have gaiters in their yards.

under55 02-05-2010 06:13 PM

I wish we had a gator in our pond that would be so cool.

NJblue 02-05-2010 06:57 PM

I suggest you look at any pond in July and August and see if it is to your liking. I was amazed at the amount of algae and "gunk" in some of the ponds this past summer. I commented to my wife that I sure was glad to not be living on some of them. The funny thing is that some ponds were fine and others were an eyesore.

rshoffer 02-05-2010 07:36 PM

When we pull a "Jeffersons" and are "movin on up"... it'll be on a pond. We are lookin now!

KathieI 02-05-2010 08:06 PM

Hey Doc, wanna buy my house, LOL??? Great view of the pond and golf course, no close neighbors.... Make you a deal????? LOL..

otherbruddaDarrell 02-05-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by under55 (Post 247164)
I wish we had a gator in our pond that would be so cool.

Look at the pond around the first or second week of June and you might see them.
Last year while making deliveries I seen gators on the banks of many ponds at that time. (mating time)
You will also notice a lot of turtles walking across roads to get from one pond to another in search of mates.:clap2:

Pturner 02-05-2010 08:30 PM

Another hopper

No one mentioned mosquitoes. Are they a problem? BTW, I love to hear frogs sing!

Linwood 02-05-2010 08:44 PM

Ponds and Skeeters

Well, the only mosquito's I have encountered was last Labor Day while playing Heron at sunset - it was hot and they were hungry -
I have not encountered any around the pond behind the house,
nor any Gators yet, one has moved in to the pond at Havana - but he has not figured out how to cross Morse, nor found the tunnel, yet.
Like any other critter, they were here first and you give them their space, now some critters space is in the freezer or up on the grill, but you just got to accept them.
:)
:)

jojo 02-05-2010 08:53 PM

We are on a pond and I love it. There are a few times in the summer when they pump it that it is lower but overall it is a wonderful view. We enjoy the bird life - the ducks entertain with their diving and social habits. No frog noise now but do get it late in the evening in the summers. Do not hear it in the house though.

Bettiboop 02-05-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathieI (Post 247180)
Hey Doc, wanna buy my house, LOL??? Great view of the pond and golf course, no close neighbors.... Make you a deal????? LOL..

Kathie, you're not leaving TV are ya? Hope not! How'd you end up with "no close neighbors"...I didn't think that was possible in TV! LOL