Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Poodle had seizure (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/poodle-had-seizure-272781/)

mfp509 09-18-2018 05:38 PM

Poodle had seizure

Yesterday, my 13 yr old poodle had a bad seizure. This was the first one. I took him to the vet and she said that his right eye is not responding and I don't really know how much vision he has in the left due to cataracts. I am heartbroken to see him look in other directions when I speak to him or he bumps into something before I can stop him. I'm thinking of taking him to University of Florida Gainesville for evaluation. Has anyone had experience with blindness in their pet? I could really use some support.

marianne237 09-18-2018 05:49 PM

Do take you poodle to Gainesville. You will be advised by the Vets what's going on and make decisions from there. You are not alone with your problem. Any number of us have been in similar situations with their pets, and we all are thinking about you and your furbaby.

mfp509 09-18-2018 05:53 PM

Thank you. I'd give anything if this is just temporary from the seizure. I will call Gainesville tomorrow.

BK001 09-18-2018 07:05 PM

So sorry you are going through this. Keeping you and your little 4-legged one in my thoughts and sending the best possible wishes for a positive outcome.

mrscrimefighter 09-18-2018 07:08 PM

Yes! I can relate

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfp509 (Post 1582432)
Thank you. I'd give anything if this is just temporary from the seizure. I will call Gainesville tomorrow.

We took our poodle to Gainesville and had 1 eye restored to almost 100% vision, the other one couldn't be restored and in fact we had to have it removed.she was 12 years old and lived to be almost 16. The hospital is amazing, the Drs were honest and made sure we understood every part of the procedure.
And yes, it was worth every penny we paid and every mile we drove. I wish you the best of luck in your decision and I hope you update us.

mfp509 09-19-2018 06:58 PM

My poodle passed away today - the seizure on Monday was just too much for him. I loved him so much and will miss him immensely. Thank you for the responses to my original post.

Spec1620 09-19-2018 07:06 PM

Poodle

So sorry for your loss..it’s heartbreaking to lose a pet.

JSR22 09-19-2018 07:24 PM

Oh

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfp509 (Post 1582812)
My poodle passed away today - the seizure on Monday was just too much for him. I loved him so much and will miss him immensely. Thank you for the responses to my original post.

I am so very sorry your dog crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I know exactly what you are going through.

B-flat 09-19-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

My sympathy to you we have had to put one of our pups down, it is painful, they become family. You may have read Rainbow Bridge in the past it's posted below in italics.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Spikearoni 09-19-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

We are very sad to hear that. We know how much you will miss your faithful little companion. Our hearts go out to you. Been there. October 9th will be one year.

Joeg180 09-19-2018 09:07 PM

Sorry for your loss

mrscrimefighter 09-20-2018 03:49 AM

I am so sorry for your loss.

Taltarzac725 09-20-2018 06:04 AM

Been through losing a pet a number of times. My condolences.

fw102807 09-20-2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

So sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is very painful but I am sure you gave him a wonderful life.

jblum315 09-20-2018 06:47 AM

My 11 yr old poodle went deaf and then blind. When he had a bad seizure we had him put down. His quality of life was pretty much zero