Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   A/C condensation drain clean out (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/c-condensation-drain-clean-out-273001/)

Topspinmo 09-21-2018 11:45 AM

A/C condensation drain clean out

5 Attachment(s)
OK. Another project I completed. My ac condensation drain that runs down under garage floor and out by the ac unit was pretty much plugged up. I first tried my garden hose attachment that I made up. But, the y-tee was too close to the top and was back flowing up towards the A coil drain box and wouldn’t build up enough pressure to blow out the drain line.

I cut out section of the drain, Installed shut off valve and the Y-Fitting below the cut off valve. Now when I hooked up the garden hose I got full 60 or PSI from city water pressure. This blew out all sorts of crud that built up over 13 years or so period since the house was built.

I simply turn the cut off vale to closed, remove the plug in the y-fitting, install the hose adapter, connect the water hose and turn it on. Go to ac unit where the drain located and watch flow blasting out. Go back turn the water off, open the cut off valve, remove hose and adapter, install the y-fitting plug. Works like champ! :eclipsee_gold_cup:

Joeg180 09-21-2018 12:59 PM

Nice!

Tom C 09-21-2018 01:06 PM

Very nice, simple, inexpensive solution that (almost) everyone can do on their own. Those that are not able to do it themselves, can ask other handy-people to do for then at low cost and quickly installed.

Congrats! GREAT POSTING!

theorem painter 09-21-2018 02:38 PM

Dumb question here! How do you know if your ac condensation drain is plugged?

Ecuadog 09-21-2018 03:50 PM

It's a thing of beauty.

rjm1cc 09-21-2018 03:50 PM

Very good solution and I probably never would have though of it in a million years.
I do use vinegar once a month and have not had the problem.

It would make sence to me that the builder includes your solution in all homes.

photo1902 09-21-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1583467)
Very good solution and I probably never would have though of it in a million years.
I do use vinegar once a month and have not had the problem.

It would make sence to me that the builder includes your solution in all homes.

Exactly. Twice a year cleaning with vinegar avoids any problems

Topspinmo 09-21-2018 04:09 PM

Sally, no it not. Majority don’t know how the system works.

If you go outside usually beside the ac unit there will be PVC white pipe sticking up usually with curved portion end. On hot muggy day condensation from the A COIL inside you a/c heat unit in the garage has to drain condensation off. It goes from the bottom of the catch pan below the A coil out to white PVC drain pipes. not away’s The S curve can be seen (mine is underground, not visible) The S curve keeps critters and smell from backing up into you ac unit. This usually where crud (dust and rust) forms or at the up elbow outside and narrows the drain capability (the slow but steady drip drip at the outside by the unit. Over years it can buidup enough to back up into the ac/heat unit which you will see moisture where you never seen it before.

Can put chemical (usually white vinegar) down the access y-fitting as shown in pictures to minimize the buildup deposits (crud as described). But, nothing good as pressure flush) Most familiar with the system operation will flush it out every few years or if older house with unknown condition. Basically to keep the drain system draining properly.

Topspinmo 09-21-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1583468)
Exactly. Twice a year cleaning with vinegar avoids any problems

IMO Pouring vinegar down may reduce growth, but on older units over time dust and rust builds up from years migrating down from the A-coil. Majority don’t live in house 10 to 15 years plus long enough to experience problem. It’s usually the 2nd or 3rd owners.

photo1902 09-21-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1583476)
IMO Pouring vinegar down may reduce growth, but on older units over time dust and rust builds up from years migrating down from the A-coil. Majority don’t live in house 10 to 15 years plus long enough to experience problem. It’s usually the 2nd or 3rd owners.

Definitely a valid concern when you don’t know what you’re inheriting.

Tom C 09-21-2018 04:22 PM

Just be sure the water hose adapter push-on fitting does not back out of the Y when the water pressure is applied .... it could end up chasing you!

Topspinmo 09-21-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom C (Post 1583478)
Just be sure the water hose adapter push-on fitting does not back out of the Y when the water pressure is applied .... it could end up chasing you!

Fits pretty tight, I make sure I push it down all the way! so far no problems :pray: I also have gauge so I know what water pressure is. In my area runs 55 to 60 depending on time of day.

kcrazorbackfan 09-21-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theorem painter (Post 1583436)
Dumb question here! How do you know if your ac condensation drain is plugged?

Your drain should have a shut off float that shuts off the A/C if the drain becomes clogged; ours happened while gone for a few days. Poured hot water and vinegar into the drain, let it sit for about 5 minutes then I took my wet/dry shop vac and sucked all the gunk out from the outside end of the drain line.

NoMoSno 09-21-2018 08:53 PM

I just use the shop-vac method, like the service people do.

Topspinmo 09-21-2018 09:53 PM

Evidently you live in recently new home. On homes that 10 years or more that haven’t been maintained I doubt the shop vac going pull stuff stuck to walls of the pvc pipe? My method takes about 4 mins.