Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Did anyone play the new Longleaf course today? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/did-anyone-play-new-longleaf-course-today-273528/)

kcrazorbackfan 09-29-2018 05:39 PM

Did anyone play the new Longleaf course today?

If you did, how was it?

biker1 09-29-2018 06:42 PM

I am playing it on Monday. I will report back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1585948)
If you did, how was it?

thelegges 09-29-2018 07:15 PM

Just finished 6 holes, became too dark to play safely. It will become challenging as it matures.

If you are a walker, it’s along way to each hole, and no where to cut through.

The rain backed everything up and there were 4 groups behind us when we stopped.

Course seemed to play longer than it looks. Water levels were down, when they become full, they could be in play. The par 4 was nice, turf is still new, and walks like you have a spring in your step. Could be difficult to hit off.

Unlike Red and Grey Fox, there are homes around entire course, not occupied. The bugs were out in full force so bring your spray.

One thing we noticed was the drone of the turnpike. Not really noise, but background noise.

photo1902 09-29-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1585948)
If you did, how was it?

Just played it this afternoon. Very pretty course.

philnpat 09-29-2018 09:12 PM

longleaf directions

Playing Longleaf Sunday afternoon...
Can't find directions for the starter shack anywhere.
Anyone know?
Thanks

thelegges 09-29-2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philnpat (Post 1585985)
Playing Longleaf Sunday afternoon...
Can't find directions for the starter shack anywhere.
Anyone know?
Thanks

Take Fenney Way past pitch and putt, on your left, past the dog park on your right, until you see the course, parking is on the left, as well as the starter shack. You are in Desoto.

philnpat 09-30-2018 09:17 AM

Thanks so much!

Celebrator 09-30-2018 09:20 AM

160 plus from black tees

Played yesterday from the black tees and found it a reasonable challenge for even better golfers which will be more difficult as the landscaping matures. Good practice for your 160 to 170 yard shots and a few longer. Our wives enjoyed it and found it fair for them.

We all found the staff very friendly and helpful.

eweissenbach 09-30-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celebrator (Post 1586047)
Played yesterday from the black tees and found it a reasonable challenge for even better golfers which will be more difficult as the landscaping matures. Good practice for your 160 to 170 yard shots and a few longer. Our wives enjoyed it and found it fair for them.

I would add to the staff kudos for the staff at Red/Gray Fox. They are super helpful, friendly, and attentive. They make it a pleasure to go south to play!

splashes 09-30-2018 10:40 AM

Played it Saturday morning. Great course lots of tee box choices challenging course Par four has a BIG oak tree in center of fairway Water not in play on most of course now. will get more difficult as water level rises Turf is new and plays that way. Greens are good and challenging Staff excellent

Bogie Shooter 09-30-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celebrator (Post 1586047)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1586054)
I would add to the staff kudos for the staff at Red/Gray Fox. They are super helpful, friendly, and attentive. They make it a pleasure to go south to play!

And why wouldn’t the staff be as you found them.....they are our neighbors.

photo1902 09-30-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1586075)
And why wouldn’t the staff be as you found them.....they are our neighbors.

Funny, but I said to my wife yesterday that the staff was exceptionally friendly. From the starters to the ambassador, to the people running the putting and chipping contests.