Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Printer ink dries out when away (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/printer-ink-dries-out-when-away-273538/)

upstate 09-29-2018 08:15 PM

Printer ink dries out when away

We are seasonal residents and our printer ink always dries up while we’re away. I’ve tried removing it from the printer and putting it in an airtight container without success. Has anyone come across this problem with possible solutions? Thanks.

Nucky 09-29-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstate (Post 1585973)
We are seasonal residents and our printer ink always dries up while we’re away. I’ve tried removing it from the printer and putting it in an airtight container without success. Has anyone come across this problem with possible solutions? Thanks.

Put the entire printer in a Black Garbage Bag. I did that with an old cheap printer I knew I would need one day in NJ. After two years I plugged that piece of junk in and away we went, when it ran out of ink I threw it out.

I need a printer with a two-sided document feeder and two-sided copying at a reasonable price. Any ideas? Help!

If you use the non-OEM ink I don't think anything will keep it from drying out. Good Luck.

jnieman 09-29-2018 08:39 PM

I just found this on line but haven't tried it.

Storing Opened Ink Cartridges

If your ink cartridges are already outside their original packaging, they should be placed in a plastic tub with an airtight lid for safekeeping. Along with the cartridges, place a damp cloth or paper in the sealed tub to initiate humid conditions in a controlled environment.

Remember, if cartridge nozzles are not stored in airtight and humidified conditions they can crust over or dry out, nullifying their usefulness. Make sure that there is nothing touching or leaning against the cartridge nozzles. If anything rubs against them, it can cause the ink to wick.

kathyspear 09-29-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1585975)
I need a printer with a two-sided document feeder and two-sided copying at a reasonable price. Any ideas? Help!

We bought the previous version of this one and it works great. If you can get by with black and white I recommend it:
Amazon.com: Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L2350DW, Wireless Printing, Duplex Two-Sided Printing, Amazon Dash Replenishment Enabled: Office Products

kathy

upstate 09-29-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnieman (Post 1585980)
I just found this on line but haven't tried it.

Storing Opened Ink Cartridges

If your ink cartridges are already outside their original packaging, they should be placed in a plastic tub with an airtight lid for safekeeping. Along with the cartridges, place a damp cloth or paper in the sealed tub to initiate humid conditions in a controlled environment.

Remember, if cartridge nozzles are not stored in airtight and humidified conditions they can crust over or dry out, nullifying their usefulness. Make sure that there is nothing touching or leaning against the cartridge nozzles. If anything rubs against them, it can cause the ink to wick.

I tried this twice, no luck.

retiredguy123 09-30-2018 07:17 AM

I think I would have an identical printer at both residences and bring the cartridges along when I relocate. Another possible solution is to have a web based printer, and occasionally print a few pages remotely.

JoelJohnson 09-30-2018 07:25 AM

That is exactly why I went to a laser printer. The toner is dry and so never clogs up. IF, I ever really need to print something in color, I can use the printers at the rec centers for (I think) $0.10 per page.

Nucky 09-30-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1585983)
We bought the previous version of this one and it works great. If you can get by with black and white I recommend it:
Amazon.com: Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L2350DW, Wireless Printing, Duplex Two-Sided Printing, Amazon Dash Replenishment Enabled: Office Products

kathy

Talk about bang for the buck, I had this printer for several years until it needed a drum. The thing is am I'm starting to think its impossible to find, a two-sided printer with the original being flipped in the document feeder. If its out there I've had no luck finding it but thanks for the effort, much appreciated.

Arctic Fox 09-30-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstate (Post 1585973)

I put ours in an airtight bag in the freezer. Just remember to take it out several hours before you want to use it.

I do so little color printing that my next printer will be a B&W laser. Can get them for under $100 and never have problem with the toner being left for longer periods. Also, in the long run, non-OEM toner is much cheaper than ink cartridges.

upstate 09-30-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1586039)
I put ours in an airtight bag in the freezer. Just remember to take it out several hours before you want to use it.

I do so little color printing that my next printer will be a B&W laser. Can get them for under $100 and never have problem with the toner being left for longer periods. Also, in the long run, non-OEM toner is much cheaper than ink cartridges.

Will need to try that, how long do you “defrost” it before putting in the printer?

n8xwb 09-30-2018 12:49 PM

Brother 2350DW laser printer is $89.00 from Walmart.com. does 2 sided printing. It is a WiFi printer, easy to setup and works great! No ink to dry up!

Barefoot 09-30-2018 01:01 PM

I've had good luck with wrapping the printer cartridges in saran wrap. Then I soak them before using.

LI SNOWBIRD 10-01-2018 08:40 AM

A few years ago we had the same problem--dried up inoperable ink. We went to Walmart to buy a new printer and the salesman said to buy a Canon printer. We did and no more useless ink cartridges. It works perfectly every year.

Arctic Fox 10-01-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstate (Post 1586093)
Will need to try that, how long do you “defrost” it before putting in the printer?

just take it out the night before you want to use it

upstate 10-01-2018 02:50 PM

Thank you for all the replies.