Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Phone Book Reminder (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/phone-book-reminder-274379/)

champion6 10-10-2018 07:09 PM

Phone Book Reminder

As you receive your new phone books, please refrain from placing them at the postal facilities. Please keep our community clean by placing your old (as well as new) phone books out for collection on your regular home collection day.

retiredguy123 10-10-2018 07:19 PM

Excessive trash. Why not send a post card, so people could order the book if they really want it? I already threw mine out.

billethkid 10-10-2018 09:29 PM

Cannot remember the last time I opened a phone book for anything.

Headed the way of the buggy whip.

Yes it should have a way to either opt in or out.

The yellow page revenue stream must be such that nobody cares if they are used or not.

I know businesses that had a dedicated, yellow page phone number.....that never rang!

Bjeanj 10-11-2018 07:26 AM

Do you remember getting the annual Sears Christmas catalog? Then they scaled back and had you send a card back in if you wanted one. Now, it looks like Sears will be filing bankruptcy. So sad.

Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah.

Retiredguy ‘s idea has merit.

villagetinker 10-11-2018 08:29 AM

mine got wet as it was not delivered in a plastic bag, went into the recycling bin.

SFSkol 10-11-2018 08:40 AM

Still use mine in the outhouse.

JoMar 10-11-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1589005)
Excessive trash. Why not send a post card, so people could order the book if they really want it? I already threw mine out.

Recycled I hope

blueeagle65 10-11-2018 11:43 AM

I can't wait to see how many idiots dump theirs at our Postal Station.

cmj1210 10-11-2018 12:38 PM

Mine already went into my recycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coffeebean 10-15-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueeagle65 (Post 1589149)
I can't wait to see how many idiots dump theirs at our Postal Station.

Was the postal station the place to bring old telephone books at one time? I would never consider bringing an old phone book there. Color me confused about this.

Phone books are to be recycled so I don't understand why anyone would bring them to the postal station.

2BNTV 10-16-2018 09:10 AM

New one to magazine rack where it gathers dust.

Old one to the recycle bin.

I don't think I used last years phone book once!

Taltarzac725 10-16-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1590536)
Was the postal station the place to bring old telephone books at one time? I would never consider bringing an old phone book there. Color me confused about this.

Phone books are to be recycled so I don't understand why anyone would bring them to the postal station.

They usually stick it on top of the recycling trash can at the postal station. I saw one there yesterday and someone else picked it up to take home. Probably someone who just moved here.

villagetinker 10-16-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1590652)
They usually stick it on top of the recycling trash can at the postal station. I saw one there yesterday and someone else picked it up to take home. Probably someone who just moved here.

Just a note, those are trash cans at the postal station, not recycling bins. There were some previous articles specifically requesting people to take flyers, etc home and recycle there not at the postal stations.

The Chipster 10-20-2018 06:03 PM

Speaking of buggy whips, I am amazed that The Daily Sun does not have a full digital version. The advertisers would love it, and I would definitely subscribe even if the price was higher. Paper newspapers are on the way out.

Taltarzac725 10-20-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1590656)
Just a note, those are trash cans at the postal station, not recycling bins. There were some previous articles specifically requesting people to take flyers, etc home and recycle there not at the postal stations.

Good to know. There must be a hundred or so phone books piled up at the Lynnhaven Postal Station. And I know they collect the trash every day there. These have been there a while.