Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Lawn Error, A Big One (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/lawn-error-big-one-274383/)

Nucky 10-10-2018 10:13 PM

Lawn Error, A Big One

At 7 AM this morning several people were buzzing around our yard doing the lawn maintenance thing. We didn't give it a second thought as our service has been GREAT from Choice Maintenence.

Turns out the guys zipping around the yard were here mistakenly from a different unknown company and butchered our lawn. The scalped the hell out of it, piled grass all over the decorative stone and left the sidewalk and driveway in a disastrous state. It is a heartbreaker, trust me.

Our regular guy Tate from Choice Maintenence is coming tomorrow to help straighten us out. This happened to a friend of our over on St Andrews and it cost him about a thousand to Re-Sod the burnt out area.

Has this happened to other people in the Historic Area or anywhere in The Villages? I didn't call anyone to report it because I didn't want to waste their time and I really don't know who to report it to. What's done is done I would just like to alert others to save some unnecessary anxiety.

It really looked good to me before, this stinks. :boxing2: It was a Black Pick Up with a trailer in tow. Oh well, Onward. :ohdear:

Fraugoofy 10-11-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1589026)
At 7 AM this morning several people were buzzing around our yard doing the lawn maintenance thing. We didn't give it a second thought as our service has been GREAT from Choice Maintenence.

Turns out the guys zipping around the yard were here mistakenly from a different unknown company and butchered our lawn. The scalped the hell out of it, piled grass all over the decorative stone and left the sidewalk and driveway in a disastrous state. It is a heartbreaker, trust me.

Our regular guy Tate from Choice Maintenence is coming tomorrow to help straighten us out. This happened to a friend of our over on St Andrews and it cost him about a thousand to Re-Sod the burnt out area.

Has this happened to other people in the Historic Area or anywhere in The Villages? I didn't call anyone to report it because I didn't want to waste their time and I really don't know who to report it to. What's done is done I would just like to alert others to save some unnecessary anxiety.

It really looked good to me before, this stinks. :boxing2: It was a Black Pick Up with a trailer in tow. Oh well, Onward. :ohdear:

Peace out, my friend! It will all turn out ok...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

graciegirl 10-11-2018 05:14 AM

The grass is very resilient here. Just water the heck out of it.

Bjeanj 10-11-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

At 7 AM this morning several people were buzzing around our yard doing the lawn maintenance thing. ...It was a Black Pick Up with a trailer in tow. Oh well, Onward. :ohdear:

That’s like describing someone here as being old and having white hair. ;-)

villagetinker 10-11-2018 08:31 AM

My neighbors had this happen a few times, landscaping company went to the wrong house, but they were lucky, no major damage.

Kenswing 10-11-2018 10:34 AM

I hope they don't send you a bill. But then again at least you'd know who did the damage..

fw102807 10-11-2018 10:49 AM

The grass down here is what we called crab grass up north. It is pretty hard to kill, if you give it time I am pretty sure it will grow back.

Nucky 10-11-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1589059)
That’s like describing someone here as being old and having white hair. ;-)

It wasn't gray, white, pink or orange without a trailer. My lawn is already lumped up. I was trying to help other people look out for the bonehead who messed me up. It was an informative post. The driver and helpers were young and various colors but no white hair and they were young. Thanks for your post Bjeanj. :coolsmiley:

Bjeanj 10-11-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1589136)
It wasn't gray, white, pink or orange without a trailer. My lawn is already lumped up. I was trying to help other people look out for the bonehead who messed me up. It was an informative post. The driver and helpers were young and various colors but no white hair and they were young. Thanks for your post Bjeanj. :coolsmiley:

Sorry if I sounded like a smart alec. Just got back from vacation and feeling pretty good.

Your post was a good, informative one. We’re dealing with a horde of chinch bugs, and our lawn looks like c**p. Hubby doesn’t want to use too many pesticides at this point. I look at the lawn and wonder why we’re still having it mowed.

thetruth 10-11-2018 12:41 PM

My two cents worth

Quote:

From your description, it sounds like that crew dethatched the wrong address. If, I am correct, and they ran a dethatching machine over your lawn it should be done every 3-4 years. It does look terrible after but it will recover.

It is actually the wrong time to dethatch as your lawn is shutting down for winter. The best time is April when your lawn is growing. Obviously you cannot undo it. The open ground this time of year will likely allow weeds. You may want to wait two or three weeks and apply weedkiller. Not one of the weed killers pus fertilizer which are all high nitorgen-you want to allow your lawn to naturally go into winter. If, simply cut to short, I will recover. You need only to rake up the clods of grass yousay were left behind and don't let it run dry. I will take a week or three to recover.

It never happened to us but we used to live in an area with oil heat. Many people converted to gas as it was far cleaner and cheaper. We would regularly read about oil companies devivering to home where the tank was no longer ther but people left the fill pipe.

Your grass. Imagine 250 or 1,000 gallons of heating oil (diesel fuel delivered to someones basement.

I would call the vilages office and perhaps the police.
Perhaps, there are cameras that captured the truck the crew or?

thetruth 10-11-2018 12:58 PM

Re; sprays and cinch bugs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1589139)
Sorry if I sounded like a smart alec. Just got back from vacation and feeling pretty good.

Your post was a good, informative one. We’re dealing with a horde of chinch bugs, and our lawn looks like c**p. Hubby doesn’t want to use too many pesticides at this point. I look at the lawn and wonder why we’re still having it mowed.

I regularly laugh at posts my lawn can take your lawn.
All lawns have issues.

If, you do have cinch bugs, you must have St Augustine grass. Chinch bugs do not like Zoyzia.
As to hubby doesn't want to spray. You really have no choice. To make it worse the chynch bugs have developed immunity to common insecticides also the insecticidesdo not kill the eggs. Look up insturctions. You will likely need to spray 2-3x at two week intervals.

Bjeanj 10-11-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1589173)
All lawns have issues.

If, you do have cinch bugs, you must have St Augustine grass. Chinch bugs do not like Zoyzia.
As to hubby doesn't want to spray. You really have no choice. To make it worse the chynch bugs have developed immunity to common insecticides also the insecticidesdo not kill the eggs. Look up insturctions. You will likely need to spray 2-3x at two week intervals.

I’ll let him know, thanks.

Nucky 10-11-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1589139)

I'm glad you had a good vacation, you're a great poster on here. So I understand because I do the same thing too much myself.

We will have it straightened out by the end of the day. We have Choice Maintenance on our side. It just stinks that stuff like this happens but that's:blahblahblah: why they call it an accident not an on purpose.

Shimpy 10-11-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1589084)
My neighbors had this happen a few times, landscaping company went to the wrong house, but they were lucky, no major damage.

I used to work with a guy who came home and found his patio screened in. The work crew was on the wrong street. They tried to get him to pay for materials but Florida law says anything you receive that you did not ask for may be considered a gift.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-11-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1589173)
All lawns have issues.

Why would you need to spray insecticides at all? Why not just use Diatomaceous earth instead? I can't imagine the Floridian insects and bugs being that much different from the rest of the planet that this wouldn't work on them.