Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Lawn dethatching (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/lawn-dethatching-274617/)

EdFNJ 10-13-2018 10:18 PM

Lawn dethatching

Any recommendations for someone who does that?

villagetinker 10-14-2018 07:35 AM

Please check with master gardener, from what I have seen this is not necessary, and depending on the type of grass you have maybe very bad for your lawn. Do not rely on the landscaping company for advice, use an independent source, like master gardener. They can be reached by phone or email.
Link: Search Results
Personally, we have been here over 5 years, and have not had the lawn dethatched, I was told grass is different here.

EdFNJ 10-14-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1589982)
Please check with master gardener, from what I have seen this is not necessary, and depending on the type of grass you have maybe very bad for your lawn. Do not rely on the landscaping company for advice, use an independent source, like master gardener. They can be reached by phone or email.
Link: Search Results
Personally, we have been here over 5 years, and have not had the lawn dethatched, I was told grass is different here.

Thanks .. I have heard that before however if you look at our lawn it looks like some covered it with straw. When I rake up a small area you can actually see grass. :) The previous owner left us with a crappy lawn. I could probably do it myself with a good rake but I know I would regret it for weeks after.

photo1902 10-14-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1589930)
Any recommendations for someone who does that?

You're probably better off aerating, which can lessen thatch build-up. Four of my neighbors had it done, then a top dressing of Black Kow was applied. Call Adam @ 352-342-1384.

Bogie Shooter 10-14-2018 08:53 AM

Another source for info.
Search Result - UF/IFAS Extension

photo1902 10-14-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1590015)
Another source for info.
Search Result - UF/IFAS Extension

Excellent resource!

"Thatch Management
Zoysiagrasses typically develop a thick thatch layer in the years after establishment—especially when overfertilized with nitrogen. This thatch must be controlled or removed mechanically to maintain a uniform grass appearance. This is most often done using a vertical mower (dethatcher) or core aerator every year or two. Some have noted that scalping, during or shortly after spring green-up, helps reduce thatch buildup. One of the most important methods of reducing thatch buildup is to keep nitrogen fertility at the recommended levels. Proper mowing heights also help prevent thatch buildup."