Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Fall Mowing Season? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/fall-mowing-season-275102/)

Bobcuse 10-20-2018 09:31 AM

Fall Mowing Season?

My mower tells me it's Fall Mowing Season and effective October 1 they only mow every other week because the grass goes dormant until spring. I have lived here since 2002 and am used to every other week mowing WHEN THE GRASS GOES DORMANT but my lawn is 5" high after only being mowed 7 days ago. It's not about the money (rates are very reasonable) but I want my lawn to look good without having to buy a mower for Oct 1-Nov 15. Do all landscapers start every other week Oct 1st ?

sralph99 10-20-2018 09:41 AM

Mine starts every other week Nov 1st

N44125 10-20-2018 09:57 AM

Nov 1st, mine also.

thetruth 10-20-2018 10:41 AM

Proper is trul simple

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcuse (Post 1591899)
My mower tells me it's Fall Mowing Season and effective October 1 they only mow every other week because the grass goes dormant until spring. I have lived here since 2002 and am used to every other week mowing WHEN THE GRASS GOES DORMANT but my lawn is 5" high after only being mowed 7 days ago. It's not about the money (rates are very reasonable) but I want my lawn to look good without having to buy a mower for Oct 1-Nov 15. Do all landscapers start every other week Oct 1st ?

You should not remove more than 1/3 of the length of the grass blade. Typically the mowing services do it once a week.
Actually proper when the grass is growing rapidly would be about every five days son once a week is really not often enough/
It is now 10/20 and it has been unusually warm. My lawn is still growing-not going dormant-so it need to be mowed.

Investment Painting Contractors 10-20-2018 11:06 AM

My guy mows the lawn when it needs it generally once a week until it cools off. No set date. We pay him the same amount every month, 2 mows ,three mows or 4. We have had Roy for 11 years no complaints. Len & Mary

Jima64 10-20-2018 11:07 AM

Your mowing service is cutting the corners slightly. It is still warm enough for more than once a month. They know how to set it up to maximizze the money.

Bogie Shooter 10-20-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcuse (Post 1591899)

Have you at least talked to your mower?

graciegirl 10-20-2018 12:25 PM

I don't begrudge them money. It is one of the best bargains here. Not even close to what the charges would be up North.

kcrazorbackfan 10-20-2018 05:50 PM

My mower guy (me) tells me that it's still in the 90's so my mower guy (me) is still mowing weekly. My aerator guy (me) and my fertilizer guy (me) just did their jobs last week also. Now if I could get Mother Nature to cooperate and bring us some rain.

I would have been done mowing in KC several weeks ago.

Investment Painting Contractors 10-20-2018 08:02 PM

Mowing

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1591966)
I don't begrudge them money. It is one of the best bargains here. Not even close to what the charges would be up North.

Gracie We agree, we paid more for 1 week up north than we do for a month here, and our service is better.

big guy 10-28-2018 11:27 PM

Geez, if there was no snow cover, we mowed into December in Ohio along the shores of Lake Erie. The grass grows more now than it did in July and August when it was so hot.