Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cart stolen last night (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cart-stolen-last-night-275683/)

joldnol 10-27-2018 03:23 PM

Cart stolen last night

Our son’s golf cart was stolen in front of Walmart neighborhood at 9 last night. He had the keys and it was unique. The cart next to his was tampered with and their ignition was damaged. Cops hopefully got prints.

Rapscallion St Croix 10-27-2018 03:25 PM

When they steal mine they will only be able to push it around in circles as I have my steering wheel locked hard left.

SouthOfTheBorder 10-27-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joldnol (Post 1593753)
Our son’s golf cart was stolen in front of Walmart neighborhood at 9 last night. He had the keys and it was unique. The cart next to his was tampered with and their ignition was damaged. Cops hopefully got prints.

Sorry to hear about your son's cart being stolen. Hopefully they will track down the thief.

If this is the Neighborhood Walmart across 466A from Colony Shopping Ctr it is a small parking lot and Walmart has several security cameras that covers all their parking areas. I'm sure the deputies know that. He could asked them if they learned anything from reviewing the digital video file(s).

That parking lot is pretty busy. It takes some some real B**LS to do anything other than getting in a cart and driving off. A couple of times I have approached someone who appeared to be having problems trying to operate a cart because it seemed suspicious to me. It both cases all was good. My point is many residents look out for unusual cart activity, especially when a set or two of clubs are on the back.

We try to use "common-sense" precautions when parking our carts but we rely on our insurance coverage to make us whole again if either of our carts are stolen or damaged.

With electric carts like ours it is very easy and cheap to add a hidden, remotely controlled kill-switch if we wanted some added protection against un-wanted drivers.

:thumbup:

Don

Chatbrat 10-28-2018 04:35 AM

A cart was stollen earlier this week @ the Colony Plaza across the street--looks like a thief is working the neighborhood

Bay Kid 10-28-2018 05:59 AM

No fear. They know nothing really bad will happen to them if caught.

Nucky 10-28-2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1593858)

I wonder what the law is for when you come upon your cart being taken as far as discharging a weapon? Probably not Kosher? I really don't know. Who does?

graciegirl 10-28-2018 06:38 AM

The next few months we will see an uptick in crime.

Bogie Shooter 10-28-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1593858)

Is this really true? Some that have stolen in the past are doing time....as reported on here.
Sorry, I could not find the threads as the search function does not work.

Two Bills 10-28-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1593868)
The next few months we will see an uptick in crime.

Are you sugesting 'Snowbirds' are here to steal golf carts as well?
I thought they were just responsable for all car crashes, bad driving, bad parking, drunkeness, fights, wife beating and general mayhem on the squares, none of which happens at any other time of the year!

thelegges 10-28-2018 08:41 AM

Let us know how your insurance company handles the theft

graciegirl 10-28-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1593912)
I thought they were just responsable for all car crashes, bad driving, bad parking, drunkeness, fights, wife beating and general mayhem on the squares, none of which happens at any other time of the year!

Oh Bills, We know that isn't what I meant.

Bogie Shooter 10-28-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1593912)

Crimes of opportunity increase when the opportunity increases.
Relax, nobody is blaming the return of our snowbird friends.

PJOHNS2654 10-28-2018 11:26 AM

Shooting Cart Thief

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1593861)
I wonder what the law is for when you come upon your cart being taken as far as discharging a weapon? Probably not Kosher? I really don't know. Who does?

You would be in big trouble unless you felt your life or the life of someone else was in danger.

LagunaWVguy 10-28-2018 12:12 PM

Has anyone come up with a great way to lock the golf cart seat down? I switch my cart to "tow" mode and then any keys will not work. If you can keep the thief from getting to that "tow" switch, he will probably go elsewhere.

Chatbrat 10-28-2018 12:15 PM

You can not use deadly force or display a fire arm unless "your life or another's life" is in peril--prime example of what not do do--an army & navy store owner is facing 2nd degree murder charges because he shot & killed a shop lifter stealing a $16.00 hatchet-