Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Quarry blasting Fenney, cracked foundations? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/quarry-blasting-fenney-cracked-foundations-275852/)

jrdonn 10-29-2018 01:23 PM

Quarry blasting Fenney, cracked foundations?

I was told because of the quarry blasting in Sumpterville, that people in Fenney and nearby feel the blasts and that some foundations are cracking because of the blasts. Has anyone that lives there experienced any of this?

Bogie Shooter 10-29-2018 01:28 PM

Are you thinking of moving to Fenney?
BTW who told you this information.?

Rapscallion St Croix 10-29-2018 01:33 PM

Here is some info

DonH57 10-29-2018 01:47 PM

Shake, rattle, and roll fennyites.

VillageIdiots 10-29-2018 02:21 PM

Nope, felt several rumbles so far. Been here 6 months and haven't noticed so much as a grain of sand out of place or anything cracked.

jrdonn 10-29-2018 02:52 PM

Thank you, that explains some of what I heard.

jrdonn 10-29-2018 02:53 PM

Moving to McClure. A resident north of 466 had mentioned it to me.

jrdonn 10-29-2018 02:53 PM

Thanks.

VillageIdiots 10-29-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1594434)
This source is about as credible as CNN. Meaning not at all.

What do you mean? They quoted sources from facebook/internet. You can't put anything on the internet that isn't true - I saw that on a TV commercial once.

:popcorn:

I'm as concerned as anyone about potential damage. But I have yet to be presented with any facts that what we experience for a split second once in a while could cause any damage, or that it has already caused any damage. If someone finds a crack in something, that doesn't prove what the cause was. Lots of things can cause concrete to develop a crack.

Goldwingnut 10-29-2018 04:18 PM

Lots of people have lived around that mine area for decades, long before Fenney was even thought of, and there is little record of it complaints because of it. These mines are all over the state and do this blasting all the time.

Most of the noise generated about this issue can be traced back to and has been political by one of the candidates for CDD12, string the pot and to raise the ire of residents, and bring attention to themselves. Sadly, many residents have fallen for the rhetoric and think that a district supervisor can do something about it. They can't, the blasting issue is not even close to being in the jurisdiction of the CDD supervisor, neither is bringing in Costco, new restaurants, hospitals, control the rate of building homes, or any other commercial enterprises.

District supervisors can make sure the landscaping is taken care of, the retention ponds are repaired when needed, and can set policy for architectural review (once Fenney is eligible in about 4 years), not much more. Most can be a useful source of information and are accurate in with their information, most are, some are uninformed and appear to get their information from the rec center pool rumor mill and on-line sources.

The blasting and the mine are one of our neighbors, like having a train track or an airport nearby. Will it damage homes, highly unlikely, will it continue, beyond most of our remaining lifetimes most likely. Something to worry and lose sleep over, I wouldn't, the homes most affected have been built and sold and will become accustom to the weekly rumble in due time. Farther away the less likely you'll be to even notice.

What's next, being upset because the prison is located nearby?

Pour another class of wine and step into the pool, enjoy your retirement.

vintageogauge 10-29-2018 04:23 PM

We have lived in Fenney for 17 months. These blasts are once a month at the most and the equivalent of a truck running over a pothole in front of your house or a kid jumping off a bed in the upstairs of a 2 story house. They have been blasting in that quarry for 30 years and there are homes and businesses around them that have been there just as long and are still standing. There is no damage to foundations from these little jolts, our wall art doesn't even move when this happens. It's one heck of a lot better than worrying about sink holes like you have in the northern villages, none down here in the farm land. If you want to be free of sink holes come on down and look around south of 44. Enjoy nature and the peace and quiet that just doesn't exist north of here. Now, let the bashing begin from those who would like to be down here but just can't do it.

Bogie Shooter 10-29-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdonn (Post 1594424)
Moving to McClure. A resident north of 466 had mentioned it to me.

Could he also be a bartender? North of 466, sour grapes.

Joeg180 10-29-2018 07:24 PM

Moving to McClure as well, not worried about the blasting or the prison. We have been told it is the fear of Fenney, just like the expansion beyond 441, 466, 466A, etc.

Topspinmo 10-29-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1594454)
We have lived in Fenney for 17 months. These blasts are once a month at the most and the equivalent of a truck running over a pothole in front of your house or a kid jumping off a bed in the upstairs of a 2 story house. They have been blasting in that quarry for 30 years and there are homes and businesses around them that have been there just as long and are still standing. There is no damage to foundations from these little jolts, our wall art doesn't even move when this happens. It's one heck of a lot better than worrying about sink holes like you have in the northern villages, none down here in the farm land. If you want to be free of sink holes come on down and look around south of 44. Enjoy nature and the peace and quiet that just doesn't exist north of here. Now, let the bashing begin from those who would like to be down here but just can't do it.

The land hasn’t been disturbed with construction yet and pressure from the retention pound haven’t ctreated leaks. IMO most sinkholes are actually man made ground collapses

spring_chicken 10-30-2018 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1594454)

You are the one who does the bashing with comments just like that. I can assure you that anyone who lives elsewhere in TV CAN move to Fenney if they want and this jealousy that is in you imagination is just that.