Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Principal Dental Insurance (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/principal-dental-insurance-276064/)

Pinball wizard 11-01-2018 10:35 AM

Principal Dental Insurance

Well it's time to find a dentist and I would love a recommendation instead of using a dart board. I have Principal Dental as my dental insurance and must use someone in network.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Topspinmo 11-01-2018 11:05 AM

Not knowing who in you’re network hard to recommend? I been to three dentists so far in Florida. Two tried to bankrupt me. I now go to DDS jerkins in Fruitland Park down 27/441 just before Leesburg. Very happy with him. Is he in you’re network? Got me. IMO dental insurance is mostly ripoff, lot of dentist push it, other than cleaning IMO they don’t pay much on anything else and sometimes it take years for them to pay on root canal, bridge, caps, crowns, implants good luck!

NoMoSno 11-01-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1595230)
Not knowing who in you’re network hard to recommend? I been to three dentists so far in Florida. Two tried to bankrupt me. I now go to DDS jerkins in Fruitland Park down 27/441 just before Leesburg. Very happy with him. Is he in you’re network? Got me. IMO dental insurance is mostly ripoff, lot of dentist push it, other than cleaning IMO they don’t pay much on anything else and sometimes it take years for them to pay on root canal, bridge, caps, crowns, implants good luck!

I have Delta Dental Insurance, pays 100% cleanings, x-rays, root canals, bridge, dentures, caps, crowns, 80% on implants. Heritage Dental on 25 is a DD provider and handles the billing.
Haven't got a bill from a dentist for years.

Pinball wizard 11-02-2018 04:59 AM

The actual name of my dental insurance company is "Principal Dental". They have a much limited selection of dentists. I'll check to see if they are in-network. All responses are welcomed.

dewilson58 11-02-2018 06:59 AM

Do the math on Dental Insurance.

Usually just trading dollars.

Not a fan.

retiredguy123 11-02-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1595425)
Do the math on Dental Insurance.

Usually just trading dollars.

Not a fan.

Trading dollars, but the customer ends up with fewer dollars than the insurance company.

dewilson58 11-02-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1595428)
Trading dollars, but the customer ends up with fewer dollars than the insurance company.

Absolutely, good add.

laryb 11-02-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1595230)

I also go to Dr Jerkins, and totally agree with you

Dan9871 11-02-2018 09:34 AM

Yes it's just trading dollars and I couldn't imagine buying a dental policy.

But some people get free or subsidized dental benefits through their employer/retirement plan. For us that 's always been a good deal financially even though the annual benefit was pretty low. We've almost always exceeded the benefits in the plan which is why it has worked out well for us.

The one fly in the ointment is that some dentists say they don't take a particular insurance plan when what they mean is they don't take direct payment from the plan. So the patient has to pay up front and collect from the insurance company later.

Our current dentist files our bills with our insurance company but we pay in full up front and get a check from the insurance company a month or two later.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that many, maybe most, people in The Villages are getting dental insurance through their retirement plan.

Pinball wizard 11-02-2018 11:01 AM

I have the dental insurance from work...

Topspinmo 11-02-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoSno (Post 1595385)
I have Delta Dental Insurance, pays 100% cleanings, x-rays, root canals, bridge, dentures, caps, crowns, 80% on implants. Heritage Dental on 25 is a DD provider and handles the billing.
Haven't got a bill from a dentist for years.

I have DD also and they did not pay 100% for crowns caps or root canals. DD is changing, did you get the notice to change Dental insurance starting the 12 of NOV.?

NoMoSno 11-02-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1595585)
I have DD also and they did not pay 100% for crowns caps or root canals. DD is changing, did you get the notice to change Dental insurance starting the 12 of NOV.?

100% with my plan level. No changes. Contract would have to be renegotiated with the UAW.

jrd 02-03-2019 02:19 PM

Been a snowbird for 14 years. My dentist is Dr. Walters. He was with Marion Dental Group before going into his private practice. Capable of doing all types of dental work including same day crowns etc..very pleasant office staff. Definitely the best DDS I have ever been to. Located on 441 across from the Sharon Morse Building. Call his office at 352-787-7064 for information. You will not be disappointed! Jim D