Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   The Office--any recommendations for shows like this? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/office-any-recommendations-shows-like-276374/)

jj6426 11-04-2018 02:29 PM

The Office--any recommendations for shows like this?

I watched a marathon of old Office episodes the other night....had seen them all before, of course, but still love that show. I wish
there were something new to watch that has such wonderful actors and clever writing as The Office (w/Steve Carell).. I used to love All in the Family too ---and The West Wing. But can't find any more shows like that. Does anyone have anything to recommend>? ohhh, and House of Cards....Loved that series too.

JerryLBell 11-05-2018 04:08 PM

Have you ever watched the original, BBC version of "The Office"? It's a short binge-watch as BBC shows don't have a lot of episodes per year and don't go on for years like American shows, but it is pretty hilarious. Note that there are 2 or 3 specials about "David Brent", the main subject of "The Office". And if you like cringe-worthy humor, you might like other shows by The Office's creator, Ricky Gervais. These include "Extras", "Life's Too Short" and "Derek" plus his bizarrely funny documentary series "An Idiot Abroad".

I don't know the name of the show, but did you know that "All in the Family" was based on a British series? If you figure out what that one is and where to find it streaming, you might like that, too.

If you liked "The West Wing", you might like other shows and movies created, written and/or directed by Aaron Sorkin. These include shows "The Newsroom" and "Studio 60 on Sunset Strip" and movies "The Social Network", "Moneyball", "Steve Jobs" and "Molly's Game".

By the way, "House of Cards" isn't over yet. There is one more, final season (unless you've already binged that as well!).

SFSkol 11-05-2018 04:26 PM

Seems like you have a varied taste in entertainment. Here are some bingeable recommendations that have held up quite nicely.

MASH
CSI
JAG
Dr. Quinn
The Twilight Zone
X Files
The Wire

JerryLBell 11-06-2018 01:02 PM

"The Wire" is tense, sad, frustrating, exciting and some of the best TV every made.

retiredguy123 11-06-2018 01:10 PM

So far this year, Last Man Standing and The Cool Kids, both on Friday night, are my favorite sitcoms.

FenneyFanatic 11-06-2018 01:26 PM

You may want to take a look at
Curb Your Enthusiasm....

BK001 11-06-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenneyFanatic (Post 1596666)
You may want to take a look at
Curb Your Enthusiasm....

Love it! Larry David is such a sick puppy. Can't get enough of him.

Polar Bear 11-06-2018 02:46 PM

If you like a good mystery with great characters, touches of humor, and per-episode as well as overriding plots, consider The Mentalist and Monk. Two of my favorite series of all time...especially The Mentalist. :)